Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 28 Likes Search this Thread
05-09-2021, 02:25 PM   #46
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by JJ-eire Quote

I already have the 40mm XS, it's FF compatible, I can use it on a few film cameras including the Super A. It's TINY like 50g and it does the job.
How do you like using the DA 40XS on the Super A? I had that same idea when I bought my copy of the DA 40XS but I've never purchased said body.

05-09-2021, 02:47 PM   #47
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by pres589 Quote
How do you like using the DA 40XS on the Super A? I had that same idea when I bought my copy of the DA 40XS but I've never purchased said body.
It should be usable in program or shutter priority as neither mode requires an aperture ring.
05-09-2021, 11:23 PM   #48
Veteran Member

Like many film bodies, the Super-A will only offer Program or Shutter Priority. Manual and Aperture Priority are only available if the lens has an aperture ring. You'll also get 125(x) - which works as Tv but with a fixed shutter speed and B which probably stops the lens down to the smallest aperture (but this may not be a defined aperture, instead being 'fully closed'?).
05-10-2021, 12:45 AM   #49
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Hey, I'm aware of the operation modes that are available with the lens/camera combo, but that's not what I asked for. I asked JJ-eire how he *liked* the lens/camera combo. You know, one of those questions of emotion.

05-10-2021, 01:45 PM - 2 Likes   #50

Original Poster
Hey, I'm aware of the operation modes that are available with the lens/camera combo, but that's not what I asked for. I asked JJ-eire how he *liked* the lens/camera combo. You know, one of those questions of emotion.
Hello there, it's a small and light combo for an SLR, one that you will unlikely find with any other brand. It doesn't get in the way, focusing is smooth and they look good together if you have the Super A, which is black, and not the Super Program which is silver.

I actually bought a Super Program a few years ago but I didn't realise at the time that it was compatible with modern lenses. However in low light the camera seems to not know what aperture I'm shooting at so it can dip below f2 if I'm not careful, this has happened with the 35mm f2.4 and the 50mm f1.8 also so wouldn't recommend it for low light (maybe it's just my camera, I haven't really looked into it)
05-10-2021, 06:20 PM   #51
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

JJ-eire: Cool, thanks for the info. I really like 40mm on full frame and for a daylight shooting combination it sounds nice to use. Sounds like you aren't really missing the direct aperture control.
05-11-2021, 11:00 AM   #52
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by JJ-eire Quote
Hello there, it's a small and light combo for an SLR, one that you will unlikely find with any other brand. It doesn't get in the way, focusing is smooth and they look good together if you have the Super A, which is black, and not the Super Program which is silver.

I actually bought a Super Program a few years ago but I didn't realise at the time that it was compatible with modern lenses. However in low light the camera seems to not know what aperture I'm shooting at so it can dip below f2 if I'm not careful, this has happened with the 35mm f2.4 and the 50mm f1.8 also so wouldn't recommend it for low light (maybe it's just my camera, I haven't really looked into it)
You can't say those things and not show photos of the combo!

Also, benvingut, if a bit late . As you can see we're very good at spending other people's money... I personally really really like the 43 (even if I can't quite say why...), but obviously money is money and I've seen excellent photos from the 40, so go out there and have fun!

03-31-2022, 03:53 PM - 1 Like   #53

Original Poster
I was just packing my bags to go home to Ireland, the MZS with 43mm and 40mm and I remembered this thread. So after a year, I finally gave in and bought the 43mm, I got it with a K100D for €250, anyone want to buy a K100D Super?

On the MZS you really need lenses with aperture rings otherwise it's just a program camera, the build quality of the 43mm is a lot nicer than the 40mm XS but as mentioned previously they are similar but different. I won't be selling the 40mm anytime soon.
03-31-2022, 04:27 PM   #54
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I thought the MZ-S allowed for direct control, in-body, of the aperture for KA and later lenses like the FA 43.
03-31-2022, 05:29 PM   #55
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The MZ-S has no user-electronic control for aperture. It has only one control wheel on top, surrounding the LCD display. This control can provide user controlled shutter speed only for Tv mode or Manual mode. The display will show P mode when the aperture ring is set to "A" and the reset button sets automatic shutter speed as well. The aperture is set on the aperture ring, unless set to the "A" position, where the camera has automatic electronic control of aperture for shutter priority or P operation. The P or Tv mode are the only settings for electronic aperture operation, with the lens needing to be set to "A". Other than Tv or P mode, there is no electronic aperture control. The aperture ring is the only way for user-settings of aperture, other than manipulating the shutter speed via Tv operation. .

In a number of ways, the MZ-S was a step backwards in design for Pentax, compared to the PZ-1P it replaced. Sounds familiar, eh?
04-02-2022, 10:40 AM   #56
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I thought the MZ-S allowed for direct control, in-body, of the aperture for KA and later lenses like the FA 43.
The PZ/Z-1p and the *ist film cameras do, but not the MZ-S. (However the *ist has a crippled K-mount, so the Z-1p is still the best Pentax film cameras for any film era k-mount lens series.)

Phil.