Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 13 Likes Search this Thread
04-29-2021, 01:24 AM - 1 Like   #16
Unoriginal Poster
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
If you want it and can afford it, get it! Fabulous piece to own.

I didn't even consider anything else than getting mine from the last Pentax retail store in the country. If you want have local service, you need to support it.

04-29-2021, 01:28 AM - 1 Like   #17
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Jeff Quote
Thank you all for giving your thoughts - I appreciate you giving of your time.

I'm still none the wiser as to which route to take, although I see that SRS have a 10% discount on the black edition, and a 15% discount on the silver one (thanks AfterPentax!).

I have a black K1 - I don't know how the silver would look on it. Does anyone have the combination and if so, what do you think of it?
Well, I would not mind about it being silver. It is a bit more conspicuous, but so do all those Canon's with those beige coloured lenses, don't they? And in the end it is all about the results. I used a K-7 with a silver FA28-105 zoom. Somehow it had great looks .
04-29-2021, 02:51 AM   #18
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I'd probably get one in the UK due to the warranty concerns others have expressed. The DFA *85 doesn't have a track record for problems, but if you happen to get the one bad copy that would be a hassle to get fixed under warranty.
04-29-2021, 03:26 AM - 2 Likes   #19
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Serendipitous that there is now a 10% discount at various outlets today! I think I will get one from the UK as a few have mentioned warranty considerations. I greatly appreciate all your thoughts. We enjoy spending money vicariously on this forum - a great feeling for all but the person whose wallet will be lighter at the end! That will be me, but happily so..!

04-29-2021, 05:01 AM - 1 Like   #20
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Serendipitous that there is now a 10% discount at various outlets today! I think I will get one from the UK as a few have mentioned warranty considerations. I greatly appreciate all your thoughts. We enjoy spending money vicariously on this forum - a great feeling for all but the person whose wallet will be lighter at the end! That will be me, but happily so..!
Park cameras have a huge chunk taken off: £1528
Pentax 85mm D FA f/1.4 ED SDM AW | Park Cameras
04-29-2021, 05:56 AM - 1 Like   #21
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Kevin B123 Quote
Park cameras have a huge chunk taken off: £1528
Pentax 85mm D FA f/1.4 ED SDM AW | Park Cameras
I can't quite believe it! I never thought I'd see that price ever! The lens gods are smiling..!

Thanks for the heads up. I'll post my decision later on...
04-29-2021, 06:50 AM - 1 Like   #22
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I can't quite believe it! I never thought I'd see that price ever! The lens gods are smiling..!
In the UK, Camerapricebuster are super at emptying your bank balance or credit card

Camera Price Buster - Compare UK Stock Prices

04-29-2021, 07:17 AM - 1 Like   #23
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Kevin B123 Quote
In the UK, Camerapricebuster are super at emptying your bank balance or credit card

Camera Price Buster - Compare UK Stock Prices
Don't I know it! I spend too much time looking there, and I get regular emails from SRS...
04-30-2021, 06:49 PM   #24
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

This is a bucket list lens for me, if I found it on sale for any decent amount I’d buy it. So I’d say if you’re comfortable with the price and don’t have to rent out another kid for slave labor go for it…

JJ
06-03-2021, 10:34 AM   #25
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I've just purchased the D FA85 after going back and forth in my head with it the past several months (is that a head volley?)

I already have the FA85, using it at every single portrait shoot I do. It's the lens always attached to my K-1 unless there's some other specific need. Buying the DFA85 is more a leap of faith that the results I see will be noticeably improved from what I get now, which in all honesty is superb IMHO. I'm the only limiting factor, my skills still fall short. With the massive difference in weight the edge right now will stay with the older lens which doesn't seem large at all. But that FA85 is getting older by the week and may not live forever. No sign of any motor problems at all, and I know there is a fix if push comes to shove. The newer lens will almost certainly have a longer life and is weatherproof so durability is far less of a concern.

So sometime in the next 90 days or so I suspect I'll be selling one or the other as I really don't have any need for two excellent 85's. I'm hoping the images make the choice easier.