Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 13 Likes Search this Thread
04-28-2021, 12:52 PM - 1 Like   #1
Pentaxian

Pentax-D FA* 85mm 1.4 or no?

Prices in the UK are steep and I can get one from B&H, including taxes and customs, for £300 less than the best deal here, or, £500 off the MSRP.

That equates to 25% discount off the full retail price... whereas the best I think one could hope for is a 10% discount from somewhere like SRS or Wex etc.

I've been very keen on this lens since Day One.

Question is, do you think it Ricoh will ever offer a 25% discount on this lens in the UK, or anywhere? Or should I buy now - I've saved for a long time so maybe now's the time...now's the [bleeping] time! (to paraphrase O-Ren Ishii in Kill Bill).

I know what I want to do.

Should I?

I know how we love to spend other people's money here. Feel free!

04-28-2021, 01:05 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I've no idea whether you should or not. But Ricoh offering 25% off on a still newly released lens is a bit far fetched. Highly unlikely. On the other hand you said "ever" which is a long time. So sure, maybe, someday, like in 2045.
04-28-2021, 01:07 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
I've no idea whether you should or not. But Ricoh offering 25% off on a still newly released lens is a bit far fetched. Highly unlikely. On the other hand you said "ever" which is a long time. So sure, maybe, someday, like in 2045.
I'll be dead by then!
04-28-2021, 01:14 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Jeff Quote
That equates to 25% discount off the full retail price
You will get hit with an import tax, and the warranty will be shorter and costly as well as difficult to access should you need it.

I wouldn't buy from B&H in the UK, maybe some one has and can chime in.

04-28-2021, 01:44 PM   #5
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by Kevin B123 Quote
You will get hit with an import tax, and the warranty will be shorter and costly as well as difficult to access should you need it.

I wouldn't buy from B&H in the UK, maybe some one has and can chime in.
I think it's still cheaper even after taxes, interestingly enough.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
04-28-2021, 01:48 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
I think it's still cheaper even after taxes, interestingly enough.
It is!

B&H take care of all taxes and customs duties, and even with that added, it's still cheaper - the the tune of £500, which is... a lot of dollars!
04-28-2021, 02:23 PM   #7
Veteran Member

If you want it, you need it. If you need it, then buy it. This is how to deal with LBA.

I am not used to buy from abroad such costly things, but it looks like b&h is the reasonable choice given the price difference.

04-28-2021, 02:25 PM - 1 Like   #8
Pentaxian

Prices in the UK are steep and I can get one from B&H, including taxes and customs, for £300 less than the best deal here, or, £500 off the MSRP.

That equates to 25% discount off the full retail price... whereas the best I think one could hope for is a 10% discount from somewhere like SRS or Wex etc.

I've been very keen on this lens since Day One.

Question is, do you think it Ricoh will ever offer a 25% discount on this lens in the UK, or anywhere? Or should I buy now - I've saved for a long time so maybe now's the time...now's the [bleeping] time! (to paraphrase O-Ren Ishii in Kill Bill).

I know what I want to do.

Should I?

I know how we love to spend other people's money here. Feel free!
Look at this! Search Results Page. This is not too far off of the US prices and perhaps you get a longer warranty period. Especially if you want a silver edition.

Last edited by AfterPentax Mark II; 04-28-2021 at 02:26 PM. Reason: forgot the silver edition
04-28-2021, 03:04 PM - 1 Like   #9
Pentaxian

Do it! It is such a great lens. Bokeh and sharpness are top notch. I was an early adopter (one month after release) and paid full price. It is really worth every penny, as it makes taking great pictures very easy, just like the DFA*50.
04-28-2021, 04:49 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
The big difference that you see might be the taxes. Be sure that you will not have to pay any import tax...Some folks get surprised by that.
I would be surprised if B&H actually pay your import taxes.

Last edited by bwgv001; 04-28-2021 at 04:50 PM. Reason: adding some extra
04-28-2021, 05:02 PM - 1 Like   #11
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
But that three hundred pounds gets you a three year local warranty versus twelve months where you have to send it back to the States, right, Jeff?

Magnificent lens, obviously. If you love what you do in your spare time, you couldn't do better!
04-28-2021, 07:26 PM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
FWIW, Ricoh don't seem to be going for the big sales that much anymore.

I know black Friday the last couple of times around has been pretty much a non-event for Pentax sales.
It's not like the old days.
04-28-2021, 08:08 PM - 1 Like   #13
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I don't buy big ticket items from overseas stores any more. I'd rather pay a bit extra for the local warranty cover.

That said - if now is the time, go for it. It is a gob-smackingly superb lens.
04-29-2021, 12:38 AM   #14

sound like you really want it and is Pentax/Ricoh ever going to discount their stuff - seems to me like they actually want to have that premium tag attached. I suppose that they can't compete on sales figures with more popular brands so high price is a must. Right now I suppose they go for this elite, artisan quality image.
04-29-2021, 01:00 AM   #15
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Thank you all for giving your thoughts - I appreciate you giving of your time.

I'm still none the wiser as to which route to take, although I see that SRS have a 10% discount on the black edition, and a 15% discount on the silver one (thanks AfterPentax!).

I have a black K1 - I don't know how the silver would look on it. Does anyone have the combination and if so, what do you think of it?