Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-23-2008, 12:28 AM   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
K20D w/- Teleplus

I just put a Teleplus MC7 with Macro on my K20d without any problem, however when I went to fit my DA 16-45 I had a lot of problem as I didn't want to force it. I then could not get the Teleplus focus ring to turn to infinity as per the instructions.
There is no address on the box or paperwork to contact for help. Has anyone any ideas?

Thanks in advance,
Gordon.

11-23-2008, 03:30 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Don't understand what you're trying to say about "I had a lot of problem as I didn't want to force it. I then could not get the Teleplus focus ring to turn to infinity as per the instructions."

Are you asking about auto focusing with this teleconverter?

You will only get full AF operation only with lenses with an open aperture of F/2.8 or brighter. Even if your lens is f/2.8 and faster, the AF will only work subject to there being enough light and contrast on the subject to activate the camera’s AF sensors. In such situations, manual focusing is the way to go.
11-23-2008, 04:39 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
No, the focusing ring would't turn to infinity on the teleconvertor.
11-23-2008, 05:48 AM   #4
Veteran Member

woah woah woah.... doesnt the teleconverter have glass in it which gets in the way of wide angle lenses? (the rear element of a wide angle lens sits much further back than on a telefocal). This is why you are having to force it and why you cant focus to infinity (because the pieces of glass are colliding in the process).

This is just a guess because i dont have any experience with 2x TCs, but it sounds like a reasonable explanation.

Hopefully you have not damaged either of them yet.

11-23-2008, 05:49 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Huh? Perhaps we're not talking about the same item...
I had the Kenko Teleplus MC7 as described here and there is no focusing ring of any sort, nor is there anything macro about it.

THK Photo Products, Inc.

Perhaps you could post a picture of the teleconverter that you have. As you mention it having a focusing ring, I'm guessing perhaps might have an older version that is similar to the Vivitar macro teleconverter, that has a helical focusing ring. If the focusing ring is stuck, it could be something is seized or the helical threads might be damaged, or there is something that is preventing it from turning.

If it is similar to the Vivitar 2x Macro teleconverter, I believe it is best mated to a 50mm lens, and not a zoom like the DA 16-45mm. At any rate the DA 16-45mm already focuses very close on it's own. I'd suggest you determine if the focusing ring can turn without any lens mounted first. One thing is for sure, nowhere does Pentax recommend nor guarantee that the said teleconverter/DA 16-45mm combo will work.

Last edited by creampuff; 11-23-2008 at 06:07 AM.
11-23-2008, 12:30 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Good Morning, I have just fitted a Pentax M f1.4 50mm to the Teleplus and everything is alright. I had the 16-45 on by itself and it is alright as I didn't force anything as soon as I felt resistance.
Thankyou,
Gordon.
11-23-2008, 12:35 PM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by creampuff Quote
Huh? Perhaps we're not talking about the same item...
I had the Kenko Teleplus MC7 as described here and there is no focusing ring of any sort, nor is there anything macro about it.

THK Photo Products, Inc.

Perhaps you could post a picture of the teleconverter that you have. As you mention it having a focusing ring, I'm guessing perhaps might have an older version that is similar to the Vivitar macro teleconverter, that has a helical focusing ring. If the focusing ring is stuck, it could be something is seized or the helical threads might be damaged, or there is something that is preventing it from turning.

If it is similar to the Vivitar 2x Macro teleconverter, I believe it is best mated to a 50mm lens, and not a zoom like the DA 16-45mm. At any rate the DA 16-45mm already focuses very close on it's own. I'd suggest you determine if the focusing ring can turn without any lens mounted first. One thing is for sure, nowhere does Pentax recommend nor guarantee that the said teleconverter/DA 16-45mm combo will work.
Good Morning, I will post a photo of the teleconvertor later on today. the teleconvertor is a Teleplus MC 7 2X KAX Macro.

Regards,
Gordon.