Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-24-2008, 11:30 AM   #16
Site Supporter

There are reports that the earlier production of this lens gave better IQ than more recent production. I don't know when my copy was made, but I've been very happy with its performance.

The point is, this lens shows significant variation in IQ from one copy to another and the good copies are excellent. If you are not satisfied with your results from it and have confirmed that misfocusing is not the cause you should return it for replacement.

11-24-2008, 10:17 PM   #17
Inactive Account

your copy definitely looks defective.

my first copy had front focusing problem and i sent it back to where i purchased it. my 2nd copy was fine. quality control seems to be a big issue with this lens.
11-24-2008, 11:23 PM   #18
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by ikim002 Quote
your copy definitely looks defective.

my first copy had front focusing problem and i sent it back to where i purchased it. my 2nd copy was fine. quality control seems to be a big issue with this lens.
This is so odd. This is the second time today I read on a forum about defective tamron 28-75. I've never heard/read about any problems before today. A bunch of guys in my photo group own this lens and we all love them. They shoot with canon and nikon mounts. All I can say is that my tamron 28-75 might be very close to the sharpest lens I own.
11-25-2008, 02:02 AM   #19
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by LaRee Quote
This is so odd. This is the second time today I read on a forum about defective tamron 28-75. I've never heard/read about any problems before today. A bunch of guys in my photo group own this lens and we all love them. They shoot with canon and nikon mounts. All I can say is that my tamron 28-75 might be very close to the sharpest lens I own.
I have to agree with you. I cannot tell you how often I used that lens instead of primes. I did the "EDF" campaign on a FF Canon 1Ds Mkll and the images were tack sharp.

Ben

11-27-2008, 03:23 AM   #20

Stanjo : May be, you can have a look here :

Flickr: Tamron SP AF 28-75mm F/2.8 XR Di LD Aspherical (IF) Macro Group

Some problems with this lens are described ! (I hope that your copy has not such a problem - I quite enjoy mine !)
12-05-2008, 03:18 PM   #21
m8o
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by stanjo Quote
...First impressions are that the image quality at 75mm f2.8 at infinity or distances larger than 15ft. is bad. Stepped down to f4.0 there is great improvement, although infinity doesn't improve till f8.
At close distances, the IQ is very good, even wide open - no complaints.
Is it reasonable to expect such bad IQ for a lens in the $350 price range at its longest and wide open? I've heard zoom lenses are especially bad at infinity range, but cannot find any article on the web to confirm that.
Is this normal lens softness or a lens defect?
I wanted to state your experience isn't in-line with mine, but then realized I didn't have any shots at infinity (or near infinity... I found today even 20 NYC blocks away doesn't call for full infinity, and manually adjusting focus from 10 blocks away to 30-40 blocks away was significantly different) so I didn't butt-in.

First & foremost, I always stop down for shooting @ infinity. But I went on the roof of my NYC place today to try my 28-75/2.8 out @ infinity shooting some subjects in midtown. I can unequivocally say
a) what you found is what I found
b) it's the manner the lens/body do AF that is @ fault here.

I switched to MF, took care with focus, and the shots @ f/2.8 were sharper. And yes, shots of midtown NYC @ f/8 were ideal for the lens, focusing the same whether in AF or MF.