Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 12 Likes Search this Thread
04-30-2021, 06:45 PM   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Limited overlap

I currently have the DA21 FA43 & 77. As I patiently await the release of the HD FA 31 I got to thinking the DFA 21 is also on the horizon should I skip the 31 and get the 21? I know in a perfect world buy them all but the 31 and 43 are pretty close. I have both FF and APS-C bodies covered. LBA is real ugh…

JJ

04-30-2021, 07:10 PM - 3 Likes   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
You'll end up with both so just accept it now
04-30-2021, 07:20 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by caliscouser Quote
You'll end up with both so just accept it now
You’re not helping lol…

JJ
04-30-2021, 08:10 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Get the HD 31, wait for the DFA 21 and then sell the DA 21. That way you are really only buying one lens......

04-30-2021, 08:14 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

It depends on what you like to shoot but if you like / use focal lengths around 30mm mark then the 31 does have pretty nice look to its images - especially near wide open (and I'm saying that as a fan of the 43).

I had the FA 35 f2 and held off getting a 31 for a long time as I quite like the 35 but don't regret getting the 31.
As for the upcoming DFA 21, I'm not sure we have enough information as to what its strengths are yet (e.g. max aperture, bokeh rendering etc). I have high expectations for it though and keeping my fingers crossed its as good I think it will be.
04-30-2021, 08:31 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
Get the HD 31, wait for the DFA 21 and then sell the DA 21. That way you are really only buying one lens......
Unfortunately I’ve never sold a lens and yes I’ll probably end up with both…

JJ
04-30-2021, 09:29 PM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

To me the 31 and 43 are quite different. The 31 on full frame feels like a slightly narrow 28mm. The 43 feels like a slightly wider normal like a 45.

On apsc the 31 is pretty close to a “fast fifty” equivalent. The 43 is a tad shy of the 50mm short telephoto range. In both cases they seem distinct enough to not be too close together. However when I put a kit of prime lenses together I try to use wider gaps. Typically at least 1x focal length or 2x. So the da21 would go with an fa 43 or da 40 and the 77 would be next in line. Or da 15 / fa 31 da 70 trio.

04-30-2021, 09:49 PM - 4 Likes   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

A lens in the hand is worth two in your dreams.
05-01-2021, 02:26 AM - 1 Like   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I find with the limiteds you can cover all you want with three, but the more you have, the more you can vary your three. I have the DAs. 35mm & 40 are close, as is 15 & 21 but they all have different strengths. I would love the 31 because it is faster and fills the gap a bit between 21 & 35. LBA aside, the quality and character of each limited means, budget allowing, we need them all
05-01-2021, 04:33 AM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I am not sure where you are headed.

The 31 mm on full frame is about the same FOV as the 21 on crop. Similarly the 31 on crop is similar to the 43 on full frame

Getting either the 21 or 31 mm full frame lens actually does not really change your present set up and coverage, except that a DFA 21 would on full frame get you wider FOV ultimately, but why not go for something wider. 15-17 in full frame is really wide. Although I use more zooms that primes, I have a 10-20mm for crop sensor, and a 18-35 for full frame. In addition I have a 14mm full frame MF lens a 8mm crop sensor fisheye and a 16mm full frame fisheye.. i always found the low 20’s on full frame was not wide enough which is why I went ultra wide eventually.
05-01-2021, 05:05 AM   #11

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by jerryleejr Quote
I currently have the DA21 FA43 & 77. As I patiently await the release of the HD FA 31 I got to thinking the DFA 21 is also on the horizon should I skip the 31 and get the 21? I know in a perfect world buy them all but the 31 and 43 are pretty close. I have both FF and APS-C bodies covered. LBA is real ugh…

JJ
Get both, get the 31 now and the new 21 later. Sell the DA 21 down the road if you want. But you'll keep it because it is fantastic walk around on aps-c and you need the new 21 for FF.
05-01-2021, 05:13 AM - 2 Likes   #12
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by pentaxus Quote
A lens in the hand is worth two in your dreams.
Yup, I'd lose all the lens for the APSc and focus on getting the FF lens except for one ultra wide zoom for the APSc, thus covering all bases.
05-01-2021, 05:18 AM - 1 Like   #13
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by vijaykishan Quote
Yup, I'd lose all the lens for the APSc and focus on getting the FF lens except for one ultra wide zoom for the APSc, thus covering all bases.
I agree with Vijay - I sold off all my APS-C format lenses years ago, and now it's all FF, and I haven't regretted it once. Fortunately sold them while they were in top condition so got decent money for them.
05-01-2021, 06:05 PM - 1 Like   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The fundamental advantage for the FA 31mm Ltd over other considerations, is on a FF body it is a fast wide-angle AF lens, which is otherwise unavailable, especially for APS-C.

The OP already has the K-1 II, and apparently has the new K-3 III preordered, so is interested in the distinct benefits offered by each of FF and APS-C. To me, as stated above, the benefits of the FA 31mm is more fully realized on FF. However, the DA 21mm Ltd is a very compact, very well-performing delightful lens to carry about on a fine, compact APS-C body. I am reasonably sure the forthcoming DFA 21mm f/4 will not be so compact for APS-C use, and its aperture somewhat slower. But, it should have good appeal for a very wide-angle lens on a FF body, and likely not as heavy as a very WA zoom lens, but not a fast lens like the FA 31mm. However, I have been very satisfied with the performance of my good old Tokina AF 20-35mm f/3.5-4.5 (II 77mm filter size) on my K-1 II, and is well-built but not heavy. But no WR.

Last edited by mikesbike; 05-01-2021 at 07:04 PM.
05-02-2021, 03:54 AM   #15
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

I suggest that the OP concentrate on what photographic goals exist

does a wide angle lens serve

the 15mm and 21mm comes to mind

31mm is very close to the top of the old range ( 35mm ) for a wide angle

and then you have the factor of the ASP-C sensor to consider

I would urge the OP to consider what this article says about the " differences " between the SMC and HD DA Limiteds

QuoteQuote:
HD vs. SMC Pentax Limited Primes
Introduction
At Photokina 2012, Pentax announced a brand new lens coating which they named the "HD Coating". This coating is slowly starting to replace the conventional "Super Multi Coating" (SMC) on high-end Pentax glass. According to Pentax, the new HD coating greatly reduces reflectance without making any sacrifices in terms of durability. This kind of coating isn't new to the industry, however: Pentax digital medium format lenses have been treated with a slightly less durable variant called Aero Bright coating ever since their debut, and other manufacturers have been using "nano" coatings on their premium lenses for several years.

The modern SMC coating that DA lenses have been using for about a decade now isn't the same as the SMC coating that Pentax originally launched in the 1970's. In fact, most DA lenses have been said to have a "ghostless" coating, so while we don't expect the difference between SMC and HD coating to be be a game-changer, it should certainly still be easy to observe.

Read more at: HD vs. SMC Pentax Limited Primes Review - Introduction | PentaxForums.com Reviews

I have chosen to stay with my SMC DA versions

will the change from SMC to HD in the FA Limiteds make more difference, we don't know yet

confession time: I have trouble accepting the F DA and the Zoom into the Limited family