Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 3 Likes Search this Thread
05-05-2021, 10:35 PM   #16
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

A friend got surprisingly good results with a lens he accidentally whacked into the corner of a brick. That, of course is not recommended, and who knows how the lens would have performed with a nice front element. His grandmother told him to always have the sun behind him. That helped too.

05-06-2021, 01:41 AM   #17
Pentaxian

There's an "old trick" which involves filling any scratch with black paint. Having "hidden" the scratch like this, light can't get into the scratch to scatter so there's virtually no loss of image quality due to the scratch … worth a try?
05-06-2021, 02:34 AM   #18
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
The big thing is just not to shoot right into strong light sources (it will tend to flare more). As long as you are OK with that, the lens should be fine.
05-06-2021, 02:07 PM   #19
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by kypfer Quote
There's an "old trick" which involves filling any scratch with black paint. Having "hidden" the scratch like this, light can't get into the scratch to scatter so there's virtually no loss of image quality due to the scratch … worth a try?
Great tip. I’ve heard it before but I’ve never been brave enough to.

05-06-2021, 03:51 PM - 1 Like   #20
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
Great tip. I’ve heard it before but I’ve never been brave enough to.
Needs a fine brush and a loupe, but relatively straightforward.
Support the lens so the scratch is horizontal as possible, (mounted on a camera with the whole assembly on a tripod may be the easiest), then simply add paint very carefully and leave to dry. Any slight overspill can be ignored. If it all goes horribly wrong a drop of solvent on a cotton bud will remove it. Rag wrapped around everything 'cept the surface in question may be sensible
Working on the principle that "it's broke already so I can't harm it" I've had success with a couple of battered old lenses
05-06-2021, 08:29 PM   #21
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by kypfer Quote
Needs a fine brush and a loupe, but relatively straightforward.
Support the lens so the scratch is horizontal as possible, (mounted on a camera with the whole assembly on a tripod may be the easiest), then simply add paint very carefully and leave to dry. Any slight overspill can be ignored. If it all goes horribly wrong a drop of solvent on a cotton bud will remove it. Rag wrapped around everything 'cept the surface in question may be sensible
Working on the principle that "it's broke already so I can't harm it" I've had success with a couple of battered old lenses
Very cool. Good info on the camera/tripod to hold the lens while painting.
05-07-2021, 12:38 AM   #22
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Since 2009 I've been a quiet (relatively) very happy member of the forum, I'm always amazed at how helpful members from all over the planet are and how willing to take their time and trouble to solve any question asked.

So it's not surprising that Pentax users are really loyal to the brand and a great pity that it doesn't get the recognition it deserves from other parties.

Thank you very much for your wisdom.