Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-06-2021, 12:26 AM - 1 Like   #31
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks again and what @rogerstg and @bwgv001 have demonstrated is that I need to work more at post processing... well to be honest while I've had a long time passing interest in photography, I've never full committed to the hobby and need to commit more time and effort to all areas:-) I'm now retired and have moved to Anglesey (the small island(s) where the photos were taken).and it is my opportunity to develop myself.

What @rogerstg and @bwgv001 have demonstrated is that certainly in the short term I don't immediately need a new camera or lenses (I do have a few decent older lenses) as my photos are unlikely to get printed and even if they do they won't be large prints.

Regarding processing images I've used Paintshop Pro for as long as I can remember but have been considering changing to Affinity Photo as I don't find Paintshop Pro's Aftershot very intuitive. I can't justify the expenses of Photoshop, at least at not at this time. Any immediate thoughts on this?

Simon

05-06-2021, 12:42 AM - 1 Like   #32
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
(Laughs) You might regret selling it, because you wouldn't have got much money for it, and you'll discover that there will be times when you simply cannot be bothered lugging the huge (but good) Sigma around.

It's why I kept my FA31 Limited when I bought my Siggy, it does nearly the same job in nearly the same situations, and is almost pocketable.
No need to laugh, I always think about my purchases and sells thoroughly and I'm very happy with my Sigma 35 art,

I took Pentax 35mm on one shoot and it was in my bag for nearly a year with me not using it at all so I doubt I will regret, thank you though

I also got very good deal when exchanging it for FF Pentax K-1 so didn't hesitate for a second
05-06-2021, 01:20 AM   #33
Closed Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by SimonC Quote
Regarding processing images I've used Paintshop Pro for as long as I can remember but have been considering changing to Affinity Photo as I don't find Paintshop Pro's Aftershot very intuitive. I can't justify the expenses of Photoshop, at least at not at this time. Any immediate thoughts on this?
You'll get many opinions on this but ultimately workflow intuition is personal and most photo software like Affinity is very capable. Before you dive into the world of commercial software you might want to check out things like Darktable, RawTherapee and Gimp, which are all open source freeware, powerful and capable. Failing that watch a few introductory videos to commercial software see if you like the look and then if they offer it, download the trial. Often as you approach the end of the trial you'll get an introductory discount. The hard part is picking one out of the many available. Also if you shoot in DNG format (does your GX10 do that?) you'll find less issues with compatibility for RAW files.
05-06-2021, 01:47 AM   #34
Pentaxian

I do not own GX10 nor K10D that shares same electronic and sensor, but I used older cameras like K100D, K200D, K-x and most of my lenses needed fine focus adjustment. When K-x has this possibility, nor K100D, nor K200D and GX10/K10D has it, The problem is that fine focus adjustment is still needed for most my lenses used on these cameras. In this case the help comes from Debug Mode, where you can adjust AutoFocus with chosen lens. This adjustment is global (for all lenses you use on that particular camera). But it really works and is simply doable.

here you find some info:
First disassembly results « Blog

add new data with following inside:
[OPEN_DEBUG_MENU]

Km (v1.10) in the form of the file name is MODSET.464, Boot press the "Delete" button
K2000 (v1.10) in the form of the file name is MODSET.482, Boot press the "Delete" button
Kx (v1.03) in the form of filenames MODSET.492, boot press "Exposure correction button (+/-)" button
K10D (v1.10) in the form of filenames MODSET.421, without the trunk lid compartment SD
Close state.
K10D (v1.20-v1.30) in the form of filenames MODSET.TXT, without closing the trunk lid compartment SD state.
GX10 (v1.10) in the form of filenames MODSET.429 without closing the trunk lid compartment SD state.
GX10 (v1.20-v1.30) in the form of filenames MODSET.TXT, without closing the trunk lid compartment SD state.
GX20 (v1.01, v1.03) in the form of filenames MODSET.454 without closing the trunk lid compartment SD state.
K20D (v1.03) in the form of filenames MODSET.442 without closing the trunk lid compartment SD state.
K200D (v1.00.00.03) in the form of filenames MODSET.445 without closing the trunk lid compartment SD state.
K7 (v1.01) in the form of filenames MODSET.474 without closing the trunk lid compartment SD state.
645D in the form of filenames MODSET.487 without closing the trunk lid compartment SD state.

05-06-2021, 03:26 AM - 1 Like   #35
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by SimonC Quote
Thanks again and what @rogerstg and @bwgv001 have demonstrated is that I need to work more at post processing... well to be honest while I've had a long time passing interest in photography, I've never full committed to the hobby and need to commit more time and effort to all areas:-) I'm now retired and have moved to Anglesey (the small island(s) where the photos were taken).and it is my opportunity to develop myself.

What @rogerstg and @bwgv001 have demonstrated is that certainly in the short term I don't immediately need a new camera or lenses (I do have a few decent older lenses) as my photos are unlikely to get printed and even if they do they won't be large prints.

Simon
Hello Simon C, I have just taken my GX-10 out accompanied by the 35mm F2.4. The images I took showed me that when the object is close by you get a good sharp result. If you aim at a something farther away and with a smaller aperture that the images and you crop a bit then you see some softness. If I put the Samsung 18-55 on it, then I get quite good pictures even farther away. The same goes for attaching the 18-135 to it. But if I attach the 35mm F2.4 to a more modern Pentax model (from K-01 onwards) I get better results than on the GX-10. The Pentax 's AF are not fine tuned, not necessary.

Last edited by AfterPentax Mark II; 05-06-2021 at 09:25 AM. Reason: typo
05-06-2021, 05:06 AM - 1 Like   #36
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
(Laughs) You might regret selling it, because you wouldn't have got much money for it, and you'll discover that there will be times when you simply cannot be bothered lugging the huge (but good) Sigma around.
And it's a lens to use when letting interested youngsters have a go at using a DSLR. Maybe I'm just rationalizing my tendencies toward hoarding. ;-)

Last edited by rogerstg; 05-06-2021 at 10:27 AM.
05-06-2021, 06:18 AM - 1 Like   #37
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by AfterPentax Mark II Quote
Hello Simon C, I have just taken my GX-10 out accompanied by the 35mm F2.4. The images I took showed me that when the object is close by you get a good sharp result. If you aim at a something farther away and with a smaller aperture that the images and you crop a bit then you see some softness. If I put the Samsung 18-55 on it, then I get quite good pictures even farther away. The same goes for attaching the 18-135 to it. But if I attach the 35mm F2.4 to a more modern Pentax model (from K-01 onwards) I get better results than on the GX-10. The Pentax 's AF arecnot fine tuned, not necessary.
Thanks for taking the time to do that, it is appreciated. Good information too!

05-06-2021, 02:04 PM   #38
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Medex Quote
I do not own GX10 nor K10D that shares same electronic and sensor, but I used older cameras like K100D, K200D, K-x and most of my lenses needed fine focus adjustment. When K-x has this possibility, nor K100D, nor K200D and GX10/K10D has it, The problem is that fine focus adjustment is still needed for most my lenses used on these cameras. In this case the help comes from Debug Mode, where you can adjust AutoFocus with chosen lens. This adjustment is global (for all lenses you use on that particular camera). But it really works and is simply doubled .
Very interesting. I’ve never felt like fine tuning was required in the k100d. Generally higher resolution is required before fine tuning is needed.
05-06-2021, 03:14 PM   #39
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
Very interesting. I’ve never felt like fine tuning was required in the k100d. Generally higher resolution is required before fine tuning is needed.
It might be less noticeable at 6mpix but fine tuning still would have been helpful, especially for fast primes. I have to admin that in my K100D days I mostly shot with kit zooms. The smaller apertures on those zooms covers up a lot of focus issues with depth of field. I think I only had the FA50 f1.4 for fast glass at the time, and it could have used some fine tuning.