Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 7 Likes Search this Thread
12-07-2021, 07:39 AM   #16
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
Even a clear filter can affect optical performance. Can, is not will. Your own tests will validate if it is transparent to you.
Actually, will is the correct word. It just may not be enough to be a consideration. A filter will always have a detrimental effect on flare resistance, and can cause hot spots on the sensor.

These are things to be aware of if one uses protective filters all the time and finds things are not turning out as desired or expected.

12-07-2021, 07:48 AM   #17
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
Actually, will is the correct word. It just may not be enough to be a consideration. A filter will always have a detrimental effect on flare resistance, and can cause hot spots on the sensor.

These are things to be aware of if one uses protective filters all the time and finds things are not turning out as desired or expected.
I guess we are well into semantics here and I have to concede that’s correct. Below the level of perception on many shots is what I really intended by my comment but you’re right.
12-07-2021, 08:42 AM   #18
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
That’s good info. I suggest to most people that testing is the only way to know - and that testing needs to cover each lens and multiple conditions with and without the filter to be sure.
Agreed. Especially when you start using wide-angle lenses with filters, effects are not as easily predictable. I try to test with a normal focal length, knowing a tele won'T be very different, but a wide will probably be.

The magnetic aspect is what got to me, it really changed how (and how often) I use filters. Hiking with the familiy, every wasted second is a bad second.
12-09-2021, 02:22 AM   #19

Photos: Albums
I read the K&F Concept reviews and they were so-so. At that price point doesn't seem to be logical to expect miracles (though who knows right). Also, a magnetic mount might not be best option for protection against percussive impact near mud/sand etc (I didn't try this so correct me if I wrong).

Instead, and because of good old Pentax-Hoya times, right , it seems that one of the better filters money can buy right now is the Hoya Nano (seems to be called the Hoya HD3 in the US market), and will try it out, I found a good deal on an open-box returned item.

Fun thing when I was researching this: There is a Hoya Nano mkii BUT the actual Hoya website even uses the exact same sample images for the Nano and the Nano mkii
Only difference seems to be that a 49mm filter is added for the mkii series. Good news is that the original Nano is a bit cheaper than the mkii at the moment so you can get a decent deal on what appears to be a decent filter.

https://hoyafilter.com/product/hd_nano_uv/
https://hoyafilter.com/product/hd_nano_mk_ii_uv/

Last edited by pimpim; 12-09-2021 at 02:43 AM.
12-09-2021, 08:41 AM   #20
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by pimpim Quote
I read the K&F Concept reviews and they were so-so.
Which reviews would those be? AGain, my own tests show no impact on colour or resolution. That's what one can hope for, right?

At that price point doesn't seem to be logical to expect miracles (though who knows right).
In general terms I agree, but it depends if you're comparing with hugely overpriced items like the Peter McKinnon stuff, or just other low-profilesmanufacturers.

For the record, the PolarPro McKinnon filters do produce a colour cast. Same for Irix filters, and many others. Marumi are pretty good for this, as are several Hoya models among others.

There are other manufacturers close to that price point. Kenko, for instance, offer a magnetic system (not available in the US I believe) and it's only marginally more expensive than the K&F.

The K&F are very impressive, I've bene using them for quite a while with great success.

Also, a magnetic mount might not be best option for protection against percussive impact near mud/sand etc (I didn't try this so correct me if I wrong).
What do you mean percussive impacts? Not sure I follow.

The attachment via magnets has held up quite well for me. K&F now sell magnetic lens caps, and I've switched to these for several of my lenses, and those things are maybe a tad hard to remove, not the other way around.
12-09-2021, 08:56 AM - 1 Like   #21
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Lens Rentals Blog: My Not Quite Complete Protective Filter Article

Lens Rentals Blog: Looking at Clear and UV Filter Spectrograms
12-09-2021, 11:29 AM   #22
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Those are interesting to read but my takeaway is:

1) Testing for transmission was limited to a particular wavelength at a 0 degree incidence angle.
2) all filters with problems were worse at 200mm compared to 70mm.
3) uv filtering is pretty unrelated to the words on the filter.

I’ll still suggest that for telephoto use test test and retest.

12-13-2021, 10:26 AM   #23

QuoteOriginally posted by bdery Quote
Which reviews would those be? AGain, my own tests show no impact on colour or resolution. That's what one can hope for, right?
amazon

either way I will try out a bit with the Hoya HD. I think I should have looked for the "HD Protector" though, no need for a UV filter in this day and age, and the transmission spectrum of that HD Protector seems to be super flat.

---------- Post added 13-12-21 at 10:31 ----------

whoa that seems the right data to help make a selection, (apart from the factor of personal preference) thanks!
12-13-2021, 12:05 PM - 2 Likes   #24
Site Supporter

I dont see any reason at all to use a filter except to protect the filter threads so that you can use a filter.
12-13-2021, 06:24 PM   #25
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Eric Auer Quote
I dont see any reason at all to use a filter except to protect the filter threads so that you can use a filter.
Hot springs give off acidic mist that isn’t great for coatings. Sea spray isn’t fun to remove. Those are my main thoughts. Personally I don’t typically use them.
12-14-2021, 06:28 AM   #26
Pentaxian

amazon
Those are not reviews, those are opinion pieces by people who bought one of the numerous options on the market.

Polarizer, ND, VND, black mist, those all impact the image output in ways hard or impossible to obtain in post.
12-14-2021, 07:21 AM   #27
Site Supporter

Hot springs give off acidic mist that isn’t great for coatings. Sea spray isn’t fun to remove. Those are my main thoughts. Personally I don’t typically use them.
Polarizer, ND, VND, black mist, those all impact the image output in ways hard or impossible to obtain in post.

Tough crowd, I need to work on my delivery..
12-14-2021, 08:25 AM   #28
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Lol. It’s all in good fun.

---------- Post added 12-14-21 at 10:26 AM ----------

I forgot about those. Polarizer is about the only one I use regularly. Interval mode makes non-graduated neutral density less important.
12-15-2021, 06:25 AM   #29
Pentaxian

Tongue-in-cheek I assume?

I forgot about those. Polarizer is about the only one I use regularly. Interval mode makes non-graduated neutral density less important.
ND makes things much, much simpler and sometimes interval or multi-exposure just doesn't deliver the same output.

Black mist is something I use sparingly, but quite enjoy.
02-07-2022, 06:26 AM   #30

I decided to follow the no-filter policy advocated here, but I found that my particular photography use case involves a toddler regularily grabbing the lenses with fatty fingers or throwing Duplo blocks at it
I end up cleaning my lenses a bit more than I'd like