Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 6 Likes Search this Thread
05-09-2021, 02:33 PM   #16
Veteran Member

graduation prep...

All depends on on your distance to and the actual lighting on the graduation stage. Also shooting position is vitaly important, depending if students are moving from left to right or right to left. Further, you do not want people or a lectern to be blocking your ideal photographic view. Note, 200mm is not that long, so a 300mm or more might be called for. Once I had to shoot a large university graduation at 400mm, but fortunately it was during the day in good, overcast light. I can tell you, it is usually a pretty quick and fleeting moment that requires proper set-up and readiness. Would definitely consider and recommend a monopod or tripod attached to a 300mm or more lens in order to be in set in a ready shooting mode...

Last edited by mtgmansf; 05-09-2021 at 02:51 PM. Reason: Addition...
05-09-2021, 03:32 PM   #17
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by mtgmansf Quote
All depends on on your distance to and the actual lighting on the graduation stage. Also shooting position is vitaly important, depending if students are moving from left to right or right to left. Further, you do not want people or a lectern to be blocking your ideal photographic view. Note, 200mm is not that long, so a 300mm or more might be called for. Once I had to shoot a large university graduation at 400mm, but fortunately it was during the day in good, overcast light. I can tell you, it is usually a pretty quick and fleeting moment that requires proper set-up and readiness. Would definitely consider and recommend a monopod or tripod attached to a 300mm or more lens in order to be in set in a ready shooting mode...
Yeah took some test shots with my K1MKii and 70-210. I’ll probably end up with a 300 on my K3iii for the added reach. Unfortunately I’m not able to go to the venue and test distances and location. My oldest graduated same location a couple years ago and they had open areas for tripod setups that weren’t that close. However they are limiting attendance due to COVID so I might be able to get closer.

JJ
05-09-2021, 04:28 PM   #18
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by jerryleejr Quote
Yeah took some test shots with my K1MKii and 70-210. I’ll probably end up with a 300 on my K3iii for the added reach. Unfortunately I’m not able to go to the venue and test distances and location. My oldest graduated same location a couple years ago and they had open areas for tripod setups that weren’t that close. However they are limiting attendance due to COVID so I might be able to get closer.

JJ
60-250 works wonders for this or rent the 70-200 f2.8 or 70-210 f4. You can crop into what you need in the images.
05-09-2021, 04:57 PM   #19
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
60-250 works wonders for this or rent the 70-200 f2.8 or 70-210 f4. You can crop into what you need in the images.
I think I’m gonna rent one of these two or the DA* 300 take both bodies and my tripod get there early enough to pick a decent spot….

JJ

05-09-2021, 05:10 PM   #20
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

I think I’m gonna rent one of these two or the DA* 300 take both bodies and my tripod get there early enough to pick a decent spot….

JJ
if you rent, please post about your experience in the rental thread so others can learn about it
05-09-2021, 05:13 PM   #21
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by aslyfox Quote
if you rent, please post about your experience in the rental thread so others can learn about it
Yeah I’m gonna call them tomorrow, it mentions a deposit but nothing shows in the price in the cart.

JJ
05-09-2021, 06:00 PM - 1 Like   #22
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I would just go with what you have and make the most of it. Also bring something shorter for closer up shots. Like a 28-105mm or so. Just a suggestion based on my own experiences. Don't get too wrapped up in trying to photograph the graduation that your not part of the celebration honoring your son's achievement. I found the best shots, and the ones your son will cherish, are made after the ceremony with all his friends and relatives celebrating. Make sure you are in some of those.

05-11-2021, 03:52 PM   #23
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
I know it’s not in the same league as the DA 300 or 150-450 but what about the DA 55-300 PLM not trying to be cheap but I can pick up the 1.4 teleconverter and the lens for a good deal…

JJ
05-11-2021, 04:07 PM   #24
Veteran Member

I know it’s not in the same league as the DA 300 or 150-450 but what about the DA 55-300 PLM not trying to be cheap but I can pick up the 1.4 teleconverter and the lens for a good deal…

JJ
Maybe, maybe not due to low light? Maybe with the new K3III having the best and new autofocus module and great low light output...
05-11-2021, 04:56 PM   #25
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by mtgmansf Quote
Maybe, maybe not due to low light? Maybe with the new K3III having the best and new autofocus module and great low light output...
I’m taking both my K1MKii and K3iii, still looking at renting the DA300 and getting there early enough to get a decent spot. Due to the schedule I’m not getting the rental lens until the day before I need it…

JJ
05-19-2021, 07:23 AM   #26
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Quick update since my K3iii took a tumble I’m going with my K1MKii and what lenses I have which unfortunately is the FA 70-210 and tamron 28-300 I’m hoping to get close enough to the stage I can use either my 100mm macro or 77ltd….

JJ
05-19-2021, 07:25 AM   #27
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Good luck with the shoot!
05-19-2021, 08:53 AM - 1 Like   #28
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by DWS1 Quote
I would just go with what you have and make the most of it. Also bring something shorter for closer up shots. Like a 28-105mm or so. Just a suggestion based on my own experiences. Don't get too wrapped up in trying to photograph the graduation that your not part of the celebration honoring your son's achievement. I found the best shots, and the ones your son will cherish, are made after the ceremony with all his friends and relatives celebrating. Make sure you are in some of those.
I agree with the shorter shot being vital. The best shot is usually the entire family, dressed up, and the graduate in the forefront showing off the diploma, then similiar shots with friends. Let someone else take the "entire family shot" with your camera. This is the shot to frame and or keep in the family album.
05-21-2021, 06:26 AM   #29
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Instead of starting a new thread I’ll post some pics here of last nights concert. I used the 70-210 and tamron 28-300. I tried to keep iso at 1600-3200 I was able to get a few shots at 800 and F5.6 was the lowest usable. The venues are different but I’m betting lighting will be similar I did get some keepers but I also lost a lot due to blur, I think I’ve included a good sample showing the differences…

JJ
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-1 Mark II  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
View Picture EXIF
View Picture EXIF
View Picture EXIF
View Picture EXIF
View Picture EXIF
View Picture EXIF
View Picture EXIF
05-21-2021, 07:35 AM   #30
Veteran Member

Instead of starting a new thread I’ll post some pics here of last nights concert. I used the 70-210 and tamron 28-300. I tried to keep iso at 1600-3200 I was able to get a few shots at 800 and F5.6 was the lowest usable. The venues are different but I’m betting lighting will be similar I did get some keepers but I also lost a lot due to blur, I think I’ve included a good sample showing the differences…

JJ
Only the wide shot looks truly sharp to me and so I would test both lenses for autofocus and only use the one that is sharp, especially at the long end. You may have a auto-focus accuracy issue, but probably only with one of your two lenses. Looking at your photos, they seem to either miss on focus and/or have some motion blur. For those reasons, I would use at least one, maybe two if possible, faster speeds and ignore trying to use a better, lower iso setting. It is much easier to use a good noise reduction program (preferably on raw files) than trying to sharpen up or use motion blur correction in PS or other later. Some come with a free trial for 30 days. I personally use Topaz, but there are several that are also good. However, I think the K1 mk. 2 is probably very good up to 3200 and probably good with a top noise reduction program to 12800 or at least 6400. Lastly, I would turn off auto white balance and use the artificial light setting so that you achieve consistant white balance for all your images....

Last edited by mtgmansf; 05-21-2021 at 07:39 AM. Reason: addition