Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-09-2021, 10:40 PM   #1
Forum Member

Star vs limited lenses

I know that star lenses are Pentax' top glass. However, what sets limited lenses apart from other lenses? What are the hallmarks of the limited lenses?

05-09-2021, 10:55 PM   #2
hcc
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
IQ for the FA Limited, with a widespread recognition of the IQ across all brands. For example: http://www.luminous-landscape.com/columns/sm-02-05-02.shtml.

Pancake design and IQ for the DA Limited.

And we could add: robustness, compatibility with (most) Pentax bodies...

My 5 cents....
05-09-2021, 10:58 PM - 5 Likes   #3
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by AlanM Quote
I know that star lenses are Pentax' top glass. However, what sets limited lenses apart from other lenses? What are the hallmarks of the limited lenses?
Both star and limited lenses are premium lens lines. Star lenses are all about delivering the best possible technical image quality along with all the latest features (fast aperture, weather sealing, dust protection, silent AF), while limited lenses are more about character and build quality, and may compromise in areas such as maximum aperture or AF technology in order to remain compact and provide unique rendering.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
05-09-2021, 11:05 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Here you can check what Pentax/Ricoh says about the limited lenses.
PENTAX Limited Lens Special Site | RICOH IMAGING

05-09-2021, 11:06 PM - 5 Likes   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
What are the hallmarks of the limited lenses?
This .......
Attached Images

05-09-2021, 11:33 PM - 1 Like   #6
Pentaxian

Try carrying them and you'll soon know the difference.
05-10-2021, 12:16 AM - 1 Like   #7
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

. . . However, what sets limited lenses apart from other lenses? What are the hallmarks of the limited lenses?
to me, the " limited " series means

1 prime lenses

[ yes I know they sell a zoom " limited " lens but I can't comprehend that one ]

2 size [ which makes me think I might also have a hard time comprehending the " limited " D FA 21mm when it comes due to its size ]

3 built

4 quality

and

5 reputed " je ne sais quoi " that some call " pixie dust "

note I did not say technically that the " limiteds " were perfect, they have their " quirks "

QuoteQuote:
the limiteds do they live up to the reputation and why
the limiteds do they live up to the reputation and why - Page 26 - PentaxForums.com

QuoteQuote:
Pentax * lenses do they live up to the reputation and why
Pentax * lenses do they live up to the reputation and why - Page 6 - PentaxForums.com

Last edited by aslyfox; 05-10-2021 at 12:50 AM.
05-10-2021, 05:33 AM   #8
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Paul the Sunman Quote
Try carrying them and you'll soon know the difference.
Yup, This is exactly why I'm debating between 77mm Ltd vs 85mm FA* ; I'd like to have both on the K1, but I keep failing to win the lottery :-/ . 77mm will prolly cover 80% of my use case except when I decide to do Astro (in some point in the future). AFAIK, 85 FA* is excellent, but I do not have much info on the coma performance of the 77mm.

Last edited by vijaykishan; 05-10-2021 at 05:36 AM. Reason: Adding a few more senstences to build context
05-10-2021, 07:03 AM - 2 Likes   #9
Pentaxian

"yes I know they sell a zoom " limited " lens but I can't comprehend that one". Regard it as twenty Limited primes. The advantage being that it does not take as much room as twenty (Limited) primes... It will always be a problem, you do not have to comprehend a lens, you either love it or you do not. As you perhaps know I do not comprehend the love for Limiteds, except that zoom one. It is a lens that deserves to be loved and it needs a good friend in the form of a K-3 or the KP to shine. What I see in the Limited Primes is a lens that is build in the manner that old K and M lenses were build with a sturdy body of metal. If I take the 28mm F3.5 K lens or the M 50mm 1.7 I see a lens that is build to last a long time with good/precise optics and a body that is well cared for. No plastics, just metals. I like the look of the Limiteds, it shines out the classiness of them, but I do not like the results. I have the 20-40mm for a couple of years now and used it on the K-3 II with very likeable results, but I bought a KP recently and on that camera it gives the impression that I have a new stellar lens, but it is still the same one, but that is what I mean, it needs a good companion to outshine the rest. That is maybe what the Limited stands for: a lens that needs a good companion in the camera used to deliver quality, it is not a specific lens for a budget camera, but for a higher end one.
05-10-2021, 07:07 AM - 1 Like   #10
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by AfterPentax Mark II Quote
"yes I know they sell a zoom " limited " lens but I can't comprehend that one". . . . .
my inability to " comprehend " the zoom limited

saves me money

to spend on other things

[ like the K 3 III ]

and I did rent one to try it out when I went to Tanzania the second time

Last edited by aslyfox; 05-10-2021 at 07:15 AM.
05-10-2021, 09:21 AM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

To my mind the limited lenses are the designs that strive for size weight and image quality without too much concern over technical measurements. They often give up on maximum aperture in a quest for these properties. The * lenses have been traditionally mostly statement level optics with the zooms all being constant max aperture as far as I recall. The practical differences are that the * lenses are larger and heavier than the limited lenses.
05-10-2021, 02:30 PM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Don't forget the "star" lenses have better water/weather resistance. I only have two "star" rated lenses, the 55mm* and the 50-135mm*. My most accurate lens is the FA 50mm F2.8* macro, especially in low light.
05-10-2021, 04:15 PM   #13
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Wingincamera Quote
Don't forget the "star" lenses have better water/weather resistance. I only have two "star" rated lenses, the 55mm* and the 50-135mm*. . . .
more information

QuoteQuote:
smc PENTAX-DA, HD PENTAX-DA
The current generation of lenses for APS-C Digital SLRs
Sub-categories: DA* (professional), DA Limited (high-end pancake) and DA L (budget kit). . .

DA* Lenses: The DA series includes a number of "star" lenses (DA*) with top notch optical and mechanical engineering. All DA* lenses have the Quick Shift focusing system and - despite not having the WR designation - are also weather sealed.. . .

WR: Lenses with the WR designation are weather resistant. They are sealed so that they better withstand use in light rain and blowing dust.. . .

smc PENTAX-D FA, HD PENTAX-D FA . . .

AW, WR: Lenses with the AW (All Weather) or WR (Weather Resistant) designations are sealed so that they better withstand use in light rain and blowing dust. AW is the more resistant of the two. . . .

smc PENTAX-FA
The second generation of autofocus lenses
Sub-groups: FA* (professional) and FA Limited (compact high-end) series. . .
Pentax K-Mount Lenses Explained: The differences between various Pentax lens series
05-11-2021, 03:38 AM   #14
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Limited lenses are small lenses, metal construction, and often a little slower maximum apertures.

Star lenses have an emphasis on faster maximum apertures, wide open performance (sharpness across the frame and vignetting), and are larger in size. Construction of these is more modern, although still quite sturdy.
05-11-2021, 03:56 AM   #15
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

with regard to the FA Limiteds - the 43mm produced first, then the 77mm followed by the 31mm -

the MIJ versions

the non MIJ versions AVN I believe

the unknown changes in SMC coatings as the years of production progressed

and now the HD version arriving

it is reported that PF will be doing a comparison of the latest produced SMC version vs. the HD version of the FA Limiteds as they did with the SMC vs. HD version of the DA Limited primes

Last edited by aslyfox; 05-11-2021 at 10:25 AM.