Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 5 Likes Search this Thread
05-13-2021, 03:03 AM   #1

How do get a correct exposure with a vintage lens

I did some research in the internet ant there is something I don`t unterstand. Since there are no electronic contacts between camera and lens, which program-mode sould I use ?
Fully manual ? Aperture priority mode ?
Does the camera somehow "know" which aperture I choose ? What about the metering ?

I would be grateful for a advice.

05-13-2021, 03:22 AM - 2 Likes   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by asko Quote
I did some research in the internet ant there is something I don`t unterstand. Since there are no electronic contacts between camera and lens, which program-mode sould I use ?
Does the camera somehow "know" which aperture I choose ? What about the metering ?

I would be grateful for a advice.
Manual mode. Press green button to meter and camera sets shutter speed.
05-13-2021, 03:39 AM   #3
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by pschlute Quote
Press green button
really a useful button
05-13-2021, 03:48 AM   #4
GUB
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Manual Mode only for K series and M series (and A series with aperture ring on manual settings) . These are the K mounts before the F series.
AV and Manual mode for M42 thread mounts. That is with the lens aperture setting lever on manual.

EDIT In the instruction manual look in index - lens

Last edited by GUB; 05-13-2021 at 04:00 AM.
05-13-2021, 04:02 AM   #5
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

green button, dude - learn it, live it, it is your friend....

(:
05-13-2021, 04:04 AM - 1 Like   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

One thing to consider, is that the camera’s metering system has some nonlinearities which are dependant on the native aperture of the lens.

This was a big discussion topic when the K10 came out, and I tested it on my *istD, K10D, K7D and K5D, and somewhere plotted and posted the results of exposure error as a function of F-Stop. I should really do it also with my K1 MKII as I suspect there is also some error, because I notice with my sigma 70-200/2.8 a tendency to over expose 1 to 1.5 stops when used with the 2x TC. This is due to the camera thinking the lens is F2.8 as the TC feeds lens data straight through without correction, but the actual aperture is double what is reported. This is exactly the same symptom I saw with my K10D and the same lens and TC combo.

Here is the plot I posted way back when.

Understanding the chart.

The chart measures the greyscale value of a frame, the test image was a uniformly sunlit block wall or paved surface, which the camera should interpret as a 18% grey card. Perfect metering is with a greyscale value of 128 (out of the range 0-255). Around the middle of the greyscale value each full stop is an increment of 40-45 greyscale. This linear relationship holds over a greyscale range of about 30-225. At each end of the curve it is “S” shaped, with the next 3 stops at each end having greyscale ranges of 15, 7,and 3 respectively as you approach the ends of the exposure curve

Last edited by Lowell Goudge; 05-13-2021 at 06:31 PM.
05-13-2021, 04:40 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

You can use aperture priority, locking exposure on an area prior to focusing, but its hit and miss. The green button is by far the easiest. You still may need a smidge of exposure compensation but it is pretty consistant

05-13-2021, 04:48 AM   #8
Veteran Member

This all changes with a K-3 iii. Just shoot in Av or TAv like you would with a lens with electronic aperture control, but set the aperture on the lens (and hopefully remember to dial it in on the rear e-dial so you get accurate EXIF data).
05-13-2021, 05:59 AM - 1 Like   #9
Veteran Member

You also need to set ability to use aperture in one of the menu items
05-13-2021, 06:16 AM   #10
Pentaxian

M mode. a mode will always shoot wide open.

It does not know the aperture, but pressing the green button will make the camera meter by closing the aperture, so you'll get an accurate reading regardless. And if light conditions do not change, you're good to go if you do that once.
05-13-2021, 06:25 AM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

How to use/meter Manual & M42 Lenses on all Pentax DSLRs (K-1, K-3, K-5, K-30, etc) - PentaxForums.com
05-13-2021, 07:20 AM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Cerebum Quote
You can use aperture priority, locking exposure on an area prior to focusing, but its hit and miss. The green button is by far the easiest. You still may need a smidge of exposure compensation but it is pretty consistant
If the OP is using a K-mount "K" or M series lens, or a later lens with the aperture ring off the "A" setting using Av mode is very limiting. Yes it will give correct exposure, but always wide open, irrespective to where he has set the f-stop
05-13-2021, 07:59 AM - 1 Like   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by pschlute Quote
If the OP is using a K-mount "K" or M series lens, or a later lens with the aperture ring off the "A" setting using Av mode is very limiting. Yes it will give correct exposure, but always wide open, irrespective to where he has set the f-stop
Very true sorry, I should have said I was thinking about M42s
05-13-2021, 12:31 PM   #14
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

There is lots of good information above, but there is one bit that I did not see that is part of my routine. I have found that stop-down metering is more consistent and accurate in live view than when using the optical viewfinder. With camera in M mode, I meter the subject in live view and switch back to the optical viewfinder for actual shooting. Those settings should remain good until either the light or the subject changes.

Steve
05-13-2021, 06:06 PM   #15
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
There is lots of good information above, but there is one bit that I did not see that is part of my routine. I have found that stop-down metering is more consistent and accurate in live view than when using the optical viewfinder. With camera in M mode, I meter the subject in live view and switch back to the optical viewfinder for actual shooting. Those settings should remain good until either the light or the subject changes.
On which camera? I never noticed this myself, but never looked for it either. With manual lenses, I frequently use live view anyway for the benefits of focus peaking.