Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-18-2021, 06:46 PM - 1 Like   #46
GUB
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by richfam Quote
My K-70 suffered aperture block failure at around 14,000 clicks; I chose not to get it repaired (or try to repair it myself) and have since put another 14,000 clicks on the body in manual mode. It still works great, and I have no complaints. I expect that my "crippled" K-70 will continue to work fine until the shutter wears out.

I chose not to repair it because I shoot in manual mode most of the time anyway, and 15 of my 19 lenses have aperture rings and are thus usable with the K-70 in manual mode. For my 4 modern lenses without an aperture ring, I use them with a K-S1 and a K-3.

So, with my current set-up, the rugged K-3 is my main camera; the K-70 pretty much stays at ISO 6400 for low-light photography and night/indoor sports; and the K-S1 backs up either of the other two whenever I need to use two camera bodies to cover an event.
I recently bought the k30 and the K50 with a plan. Currently my Grandsons (11 & 8) are using my good K30 and their mother's K01 in auto mode. Of course I fear for both cameras. The intention is (when they are ready) to give them their own "castrated" cameras. Making them make conscious decisions on settings and taking away the "auto" choice.
But the K-50 seems a bit unstable. The shutter button looks visibly like it is sticking down occasionally - causing a blackout until it is encouraged to lift that last half mm. It seems to be improving with use tho.

12-18-2021, 06:52 PM - 1 Like   #47
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by photogem Quote
Wrong:
I corrected a fault, not facts.
And you know that pretty well!

Maybe you can remember that discussion?
You insisted in your "alternative facts" and when corrected, you wouldn't admit it but just changed your post #16 so that when @M42man was quoting you your original post all the sudden was different: "alternating facts"!

It would have been that simple for you to check what @M42man was stating to find out that he was right on the spot.
Nice try at re-igniting an argument. I refuse to be drawn by you into an argument - even if I were instructed by a Moderator to do so.
A small minority of us choose to continue using a solenoid-equipped camera within its new limits. LIVE WITH IT.
12-19-2021, 03:34 AM   #48
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
Nice try at re-igniting an argument. I refuse to be drawn by you into an argument - even if I were instructed by a Moderator to do so.
A small minority of us choose to continue using a solenoid-equipped camera within its new limits. LIVE WITH IT.
Nah, you get that wrong:
I have no problems with people whose Pentax bodies developed ABF to use manual or M42 lenses.
Why should I.

Here we had a great photographer and PEG Moderator mentioning something about using SMC Pentax A-lenses in A position which is not possible when a Pentax developed ABF. If you have a quick check you notice that he doesn't use any Pentax DSLR which could develop ABF! (Although his K10D and K20D use a solenoid, its the Japan solenoid which never failed as you know pretty well).
But Martin's main body is the K1 and he uses this one with SMC Pentax A-lenses and mainly in AV-Mode.
AV-Mode means A-Setting of his favourite SMC Pentax A-lenses.

I am not taking things literal for the sake of the word but I take things precise. Very big difference.

And you know that pretty well, that's why I tried to turn your attention to when somebody prooved you very wrong but you just wiggled out of it
saying: I will not discuss this further - you will believe whatever you will believe.: That's a prime-example of what is called a "strawman's argument"!
But this is good, I love primes, sometimes even those with squirly bokehs....
12-19-2021, 03:39 AM   #49
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by GUB Quote
I recently bought the k30 and the K50 with a plan. Currently my Grandsons (11 & 8) are using my good K30 and their mother's K01 in auto mode. Of course I fear for both cameras. The intention is (when they are ready) to give them their own "castrated" cameras. Making them make conscious decisions on settings and taking away the "auto" choice.
Good luck!
I have found the best way to get "some" (!) away from Auto is P-Mode.
The easiest way to learn Av and Tv via Hyperprogram and just a push on the green button and one is back to AUTO.

If this doesn't work I try to convince them to use at least SCN because that is vast superior then AUTO
just that many SCN-modes use AF-C which is not at all a strength of the midrange Pentax-bodies.

But for P-Mode you need a functioning solenoid.

I daubt it that those who just use AUTO ever want to learn "green button metering".

12-19-2021, 03:45 AM   #50
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by GUB Quote
But the K-50 seems a bit unstable. The shutter button looks visibly like it is sticking down occasionally - causing a blackout until it is encouraged to lift that last half mm. It seems to be improving with use tho.
This possibly will get worse because it is dirt/grease, sweat or a combination of those.

Sometimes because one has WR with the K50 one can try the trick with hot water. I tried it once with a K5 but it didn't work wonders.
For this I still wrapped the who body with clingfilm and take to make sure just the shutter-button could come into contact with hot water.

Having done all this is almost half of what is needed to get the top off and disassemble carefully that button and clean it.
But then you are half way through a more sensible disassembly to exchange the solenoid anyway.

Whenever this button was stuck it got worse and eventually needed a good clean:
Manual/Repair/clean On-Off-Switch / Shutter-Release-Button - PentaxForums.com
Manual: Solenoid Replacment Pentax K-30/50/500 + Discharge of flash-condenser - PentaxForums.com