Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-14-2021, 05:51 PM   #1
Pentaxian

Tessar 50mm/2.8 usability on Pentax

Hi there,

I read note about the Tessar 50/2.8 rear element may hit the SLR mirror so only recommended for mirrorless, I've only used the Pentacon 50/1.8 and have no problem, I wonder if anyone has actual experience with the Tessar on the Pentax K digital, there are couple different versions of the lens which one should I go for ?

05-14-2021, 06:36 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Go to the lens review section or third party lenses and search Tessar, you'll find a few Pentax user reviews on the various models.
05-14-2021, 06:52 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Tessar Club (4 elements / 3 groups) - PentaxForums.com
05-14-2021, 07:20 PM   #4
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by lotech Quote
Hi there,

I read note about the Tessar 50/2.8 rear element may hit the SLR mirror so only recommended for mirrorless, I've only used the Pentacon 50/1.8 and have no problem, I wonder if anyone has actual experience with the Tessar on the Pentax K digital, there are couple different versions of the lens which one should I go for ?
Hmmmmm...are you talking APS-C or 35mm FF?

I own a CZJ Tessar 50/2.8, black, of late 1970s vintage (came attached to my Praktica LTL3) and it has no mirror clearance issues when adapted on my K-3 or on my K-mount film SLRs. Its aperture actuator pin also clears the KAF2 power contacts in the K-3's mirror box. The only M42 or K-mount body on my shelf that it does not mount cleanly to is the Spotmatic F, but that is not unexpected.

That said, earlier versions with auto aperture (zebra and silver) as well as pre-set versions might be less friendly.

What cautionary note did you read?

Steve

05-14-2021, 07:50 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Original Poster
A Youtube reviewer mentioned the mirror clearance issue and not recommended to use the lens on SLR. Btw I was a Minolta film camera user, I learned that the camera design will not only flip up the mirror but also pull it back a little so to allow more mirror clearance to use with ultra wide lens, I don't know if it was unique design or widely used on modern camera ?
05-14-2021, 09:04 PM   #6
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by lotech Quote
I don't know if it was unique design or widely used on modern camera ?
Articulated mirror swing has been common since the early 1980s and was found on some earlier cameras. My Minolta SRT 101 was made about 1969 and its nice big mirror is articulated. I believe the M-series were the first for Pentax.

The YouTube reviewer was probably talking about FF Canon, but as with any adapted M42 lens, it is good to proceed with caution on initial use and fit the adapter to the body first so that the lens may be attached as screw mount. Doing so allows for easy reverse to remove and also avoids clearance problems on the body. Yes, I have an M42 lens which has an A/M switch that may or may not clear the prism housing on some K-mount bodies. On those it will bayonet mount just fine, with things getting tight when unscrewing to remove.

Steve
05-14-2021, 10:13 PM   #7
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Articulated mirror swing has been common since the early 1980s and was found on some earlier cameras. My Minolta SRT 101 was made about 1969 and its nice big mirror is articulated. I believe the M-series were the first for Pentax.

The YouTube reviewer was probably talking about FF Canon, but as with any adapted M42 lens, it is good to proceed with caution on initial use and fit the adapter to the body first so that the lens may be attached as screw mount. Doing so allows for easy reverse to remove and also avoids clearance problems on the body. Yes, I have an M42 lens which has an A/M switch that may or may not clear the prism housing on some K-mount bodies. On those it will bayonet mount just fine, with things getting tight when unscrewing to remove.

Steve
Thanks for the tips, I used many M42 lenses before mostly Russians on film body mostly Nikon some with Minolta and Pentax, the widest I used was the Mir-20, if I remember right it has protruded rear element and it worked fine on Nikon, but I no longer have that lens since I switched to digital Pentax. I know that some big mirror lenses will hit the prism but it is easy to fix, due to mirror lenses have 'overshoot' infinity focusing design (temperature compensation) I can use those flange adapter (what the other type called ?) to clear the prism at the same time maintain infinity focus. I use only flange adapter fixed to the lens I find it most convenient but in most cases to scarify infinity focusing unless I can modify the lens, and I thought only wide angle lenses will have protruded rear element but I was wrong.