Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-24-2008, 01:17 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Who Has the 70mm Ltd

I was just curious. I have the 70mm Ltd lens and am amazed by how sharp it is as well as how wonderfully it renders images with a contrast that reminds me of the older Leica lenses.

Would love to hear from those using the 70.

Ben

11-24-2008, 01:31 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Give me one and I'll be sure to write a very lengthy review on it.
11-24-2008, 01:36 PM   #3
Veteran Member

It's on my "to buy" list.
11-24-2008, 01:40 PM   #4
Syb
Veteran Member

"To buy list"? It is not on mine. I have a 77 and am waiting for THE 85, so there is no budget for a 70 now. Sorry.

Not

ehm

yet.

11-24-2008, 01:42 PM   #5
Veteran Member

I'm with you Ben. I bought the 70mm when I purchased my K10 a year or so ago. It is a wonderful portrait lens and produces great colours. FA 77 or DA 70 - it is a tough call. From what I've seen you can't go wrong with either.

Tom G
11-24-2008, 01:58 PM   #6
Veteran Member

My saga...

I have the DA 70 and love it. I originally had the Tamron 28-75 and loved it, but sold it to get the DA 70 for smaller size/travel. Then spent a 2-week trip where I changed my primes too often and felt the scorn of my wife who had to wait for me everytime I changed lenses . So, sold the DA 70 and bought the 28-75...again. Still loved it, but still yearned to stay small, so said "screw it," sold the 28-75 again, and bought the DA 70 AGAIN...somebody shoot me . Anyway, here are some shots that I love from both of my DA 70s:

Todd
11-24-2008, 02:03 PM   #7
Veteran Member

I made a post about the DA 70mm in another thread recently:

"I must say, and maybe it is because it is one of the more recent additions to my lens collection, but I would have a very tough time parting with my DA 70mm. I took it out to the playground this past weekend with my wife and son for its first outing, mounted on my K200D, and it performed exemplary.

The K200 with the DA 70mm mounted on it was very light and usable, low profile, and most importantly, the photos from the DA 70mm were fantastic. I've taken plenty of photos with my FA 35mm and FA 50mm, both great lenses, but there was something about the DA 70mm pictures that had that little extra something. Also, I found the 70mm FL pretty versatile--of course it may be short in come cases, and long in others."

The bottom line was, I took my new DA 70 out on a pretty cold, gray day, took about 20-30 pictures, and not only were most of them keepers, but they were simply some of the best photos I had ever taken. Now, I'm not a great photographer (perhaps getting to be pretty good...), so much of the success had to be the lens.

The rendering was wonderful, colors snappy, the pictures were sharp, and the bokeh was nice and smooth. From reading up, I know that theoretically, if the DA 70 would score an A, the FA 77 may score an A+, but I was drawn to the raves about the DA 70mm along with its smaller form factor and likely faster autofocus. Plus, focal length of the 70mm was more appealing to me. Another factor was that I was able to pick it up new, on ebay, for about $260 US (a steal). Just got lucky that day.

All in all though, I think it is another one of those "special" Pentax primes. Certainly worth a look for many folks.

11-24-2008, 02:10 PM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by gnaztee Quote
I have the DA 70 and love it. I originally had the Tamron 28-75 and loved it, but sold it to get the DA 70 for smaller size/travel. Then spent a 2-week trip where I changed my primes too often and felt the scorn of my wife who had to wait for me everytime I changed lenses . So, sold the DA 70 and bought the 28-75...again. Still loved it, but still yearned to stay small, so said "screw it," sold the 28-75 again, and bought the DA 70 AGAIN...somebody shoot me .
Too bad it had to be one or the other for you. I have both of those lenses and love them both. They both obviously serve a purpose, so I'd be reluctant to part with either of them.
11-24-2008, 02:29 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Well, I know if I had both one would get used and one would sit on the shelf. I have the DA 35 too, so I'm good in that range, and I like small. Plus, I've ordered a K-m for this reason (I currently have, and will keep, the K10). I just can't justify overlap to myself when there are other things I spend my money on as well (like traveling to great places so I can use my photo gear!).
11-24-2008, 02:30 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
gnaztee: Did you think the Tamron 28-75 was just not sharp enough at 70mm wide open? The DA70 is only 2.4 wide open so there shouldn't be much difference besides mostly weight? The FA77 at least can be opened up more but is heavier and much more expensive...
11-24-2008, 02:40 PM   #11
Veteran Member

I didn't think the Tamron was quite as sharp wide open, although still dang sharp, but that didn't have anything to do with the selling/buying neurosis. It was totally a size/weight issue (with maybe a little bit of it being love for the Ltd construction). I was perfectly happy with the IQ of the Tamron.

Last edited by gnaztee; 11-24-2008 at 02:41 PM. Reason: added
11-24-2008, 03:04 PM   #12
Veteran Member

I got rid of one and have another on the way. Thought I could thin out the kit, but that was just a stupid bout of good sense. I'll try not to let it happen again. Cost a lot more the second time too, so that'll teach me
11-24-2008, 03:41 PM   #13
Inactive Account

@gnatzee

Wonderful night shots!
11-24-2008, 03:49 PM   #14
m8o
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by gnaztee Quote
I have the DA 70 and love it. I originally had the Tamron 28-75 and loved it, but sold it to get the DA 70 for smaller size/travel. Then spent a 2-week trip where I changed my primes too often and felt the scorn of my wife who had to wait for me everytime I changed lenses . So, sold the DA 70 and bought the 28-75...again. Still loved it, but still yearned to stay small, so said "screw it," sold the 28-75 again, and bought the DA 70 AGAIN...somebody shoot me . Anyway, here are some shots that I love from both of my DA 70s
Lol! That's silly. Knock a day or two off your next trip and you can afford to have both with the savings!

Ben, while I don't yet, it's on my "wish to buy" list, due to this thread: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-slr-lens-discussion/33488-example-...esnt-suck.html . The thread was sort of 'hi-jaked' by suro, as he turned into a 77ltd appreciation thread. While I am on the fence regarding one vs. the other, but the 70 is something I want due to its size and quality. So I want to say Thanx for sharing your appreciation of it. It makes me feel much less guilty passing the 77 up for the 70 instead.

Last edited by m8o; 11-24-2008 at 04:05 PM.
11-24-2008, 04:03 PM   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by legacyb4 Quote
@gnatzee

Wonderful night shots!
Thanks! Stabilization for the night shots courtesy of the Joby Gorillapod SLR-Zoom.

QuoteOriginally posted by m8o Quote
Lol! That's silly. Knock a day or two off that trip or your next and you can afford to have both!

Nah, I'll take the extra couple of days on the trip anytime Besides, my wife is in the hotel business, so we could stay in a week's worth of Hilton hotels for the cost of the Tamron!

Todd