Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-24-2008, 01:55 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Cheap DIY macro lens!

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

How can you achieve ~1:1 macro performance with little to no investment?

Just some quick shots for you, gentlemen and gentleladies (is that even a word!?) to showcase the magnification power of this outstanding lens.

I am willing to share my secret with you all tonight only, for the low low price of $0.00. That's right ladies and gentlemen, naught point zero is the total sum, tax and shipping included! With prices so low, one can only wonder how we even turn a profit.

Enough small-talk, ladies and gentlemen! It's time for you to learn the secret of the most awesomest macro lens available on the market today! So without further ado, here's what you need to do:

Get the following ingredients:
1x smc Pentax-A 50mm f/1.7
1x KMZ Helios-44M 55mm f/2

and...

Some rubber bands.

Just having some fun, folks.

Here's more shots of the contraption:

And a 100% crop to see the results.

Pentax lens @ f/22, Helios @ f/2.8. 6" exposure @ ISO 200

11-24-2008, 02:25 PM   #2
Damn Brit

Dan, you're a genius. I hope the bands don't break though.
11-24-2008, 02:25 PM   #3
Syb
Veteran Member

Now that is a steal! Will this work with a P-TTL Flash as well?
11-24-2008, 02:31 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Damn Brit Quote
Dan, you're a genius. I hope the bands don't break though.
They were remarkably sturdy. And the setup didn't last for more than 10 minutes, as I took it apart afterwards.

QuoteOriginally posted by Syb Quote
Now that is a steal! Will this work with a P-TTL Flash as well?
It will work with TTL, P-TTL, iTTL, ETTL and ETTL2 and ADI flash.

Included in the package, for a limited time only, a flash that works with any camera. All you need is a 220v power supply!

11-24-2008, 04:18 PM   #5
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Looks like some sort of unnatural act...

So, does that setup work better than a single lens reversed?

Steve
11-24-2008, 04:35 PM   #6
mel
Veteran Member

I bought a lens to lens coupling ring that does the same thing for $8. They come in various filter thread sizes. It's a fun contraption. I want more in more sizes. That's a good idea though for the lenses that won't fit my ring.
11-24-2008, 09:46 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Reminds me of a super-macro I made once a long time ago. I squished a 50mm (I think) onto the end of a cardboard tube (a "Pick-up Sticks" container to be exact) and jambed that into the camera and took very close-up pics off stuff. Not held together with anything as complex as a rubber band!

11-24-2008, 10:27 PM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by HGMonaro Quote
Reminds me of a super-macro I made once a long time ago. I squished a 50mm (I think) onto the end of a cardboard tube (a "Pick-up Sticks" container to be exact) and jambed that into the camera and took very close-up pics off stuff. Not held together with anything as complex as a rubber band!
Pick-up-sticks! Now that's something I haven't seen for decades. I love to read of people doing outrageous things with expensive equipment. The pioneering spirit will never die as long as there are people like you and ftpaddict to, as Zorba the Greek said, "undo your belt and look for trouble."
11-24-2008, 11:46 PM   #9
Veteran Member

I've actually done something similar with a good magnifying glass I bought several years ago. Got some great shots, but I don't know exactly where they are. The magnifying glass is scratched now so I'll have to get a new one...
11-25-2008, 01:00 AM   #10
Igilligan

Please... I beg of you

I certainly respect the engineering... but I question the long term safety...

As someone who recently has become a big fan and proponent of the "Soviet Limited" Helios-44M ( with many picture posts here)

I beg you to spend the few dollars and get a Reverse coupling ring 49-52mm.

49mm 52mm male to male Macro reverse coupling ring - eBay (item 350096425105 end time Dec-06-08 14:46:40 PST)

That Helios is a beauty of a lens if you give it a chance, and if those rubber bands break...

Good old MacGyver thinkin' though.