Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-10-2007, 08:17 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Pentax Super-Takumar 85/1.9?

Can't find any info on this lens in any of the data bases. Does anybody know anything about it? How does it compare to the f1.8 or f1.4?

Thanks for any help.

03-10-2007, 10:05 AM   #2
Ole
Administrator

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by regken Quote
Can't find any info on this lens in any of the data bases. Does anybody know anything about it? How does it compare to the f1.8 or f1.4?

Thanks for any help.
I have that lens. It has a pleasing color rendition and it is sharp.
I haven't systematically compared it to other lenses; If I like what I see on the monitor that's good enough for me.

Being a Takumar it is solidly build; a pleasure to work with.

I now permanently have a screw mount adapter on my *istD which has become my "Spotmatic" of the 21st century. I'm covered pretty well with the 28, 35, 50 and 55, 85, and 135mm lenses! This old stuff is very compact to carry, nice to work with and it slows me down so that I concentrate more on making better shots. At least that's my theory . I don't have any results showing for me yet - it is too tempting to grab the K10D with a zoom on it .
03-10-2007, 10:15 AM   #3
pentaxuser

Just a few observations, since I don't have the other lenses mentioned. This lens is one of my favorites for stage performances at night or in poor lighting.

1) I've noticed a little softness wide open, especially towards the edges (on a DS).
2) I sometimes get a halo effect around out-of-focus lights against a dark background. This usually disappears by f3.5.
3) IQ improves quite a bit by f2.8. Bokeh is very smooth.

This is a sample at f2.8:
03-10-2007, 10:16 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Perhaps you missed the best database of all! (If I used smileys I would insert one here.)

My 85/1.9 Gallery.

In short, I like it as much as my 77 Limited. I don't have (but would like) a Super-Multi-Coated 85/1.8 and a Pentax-FA* 85/1.4 to compare. I think those latter two might be better, but the prices for those are way higher. I did find out not too long ago that this lens was produced much longer than most other Super-Takumars - well into the 1970s. I believe it was still produced for Honeywell when all the other lenses moved to the Super-Multi-Coated variety. That doesn't really mean anything, other than explaining why there are so many of them.

03-10-2007, 10:19 AM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by pentaxuser Quote
Just a few observations, since I don't have the other lenses mentioned. This lens is one of my favorites for stage performances at night or in poor lighting.

1) I've noticed a little softness wide open, especially towards the edges (on a DS).
2) I sometimes get a halo effect around out-of-focus lights against a dark background. This usually disappears by f3.5.
3) IQ improves quite a bit by f2.8. Bokeh is very smooth.

This is a sample at f2.8:
The bright rings around specular highlights (what I think you're describing as the halo effect) is present in every one of the Pentax lenses I own. I would put the Super-Takumar into the top-half of lenses in this regard (meaning that the bright edges are less than most).
03-10-2007, 11:40 AM   #6
pentaxuser

QuoteOriginally posted by carpents Quote
The bright rings around specular highlights (what I think you're describing as the halo effect) is present in every one of the Pentax lenses I own. I would put the Super-Takumar into the top-half of lenses in this regard (meaning that the bright edges are less than most).
I noticed this effect around point light sources, rather than specular highlights. It is more pronounced wide open, and improves upon stopping down. This is a sample:
03-10-2007, 12:51 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
What is a fair price range?

Do any of you have a feel for how much one in good condition should go for?

Thanks,

carpents- Great photos. Thanks for the link.

03-10-2007, 02:40 PM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by pentaxuser Quote
I noticed this effect around point light sources, rather than specular highlights. It is more pronounced wide open, and improves upon stopping down. This is a sample:
I see what you're saying now. Sorry for the mis-understanding!
03-10-2007, 02:45 PM   #9
Veteran Member

No problem!

They have been going for around $200 lately. (This, of course, depends on condition.)