Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-25-2008, 04:34 AM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by AlbertSiegel Quote
My wife is Japanese and she is firmly in charge of the home. I learned not to argue with her as I will not win no matter what.
My wife is Japanese and I believe you will find that the impossibility of winning an argument with any woman, wife or not, has nothing to do with national origin.

You're on the right track with the black camouflage idea. After you reach a certain critical mass of camera gear lying about the likelihood of her noticing new acquisitions drops precipitously. My wife still has not the slightest clue that I bought the K20D in July. In amongst two dozen or so other cameras how could she?

11-25-2008, 05:44 AM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Mike Cash Quote
My wife is Japanese and I believe you will find that the impossibility of winning an argument with any woman, wife or not, has nothing to do with national origin.

You're on the right track with the black camouflage idea. After you reach a certain critical mass of camera gear lying about the likelihood of her noticing new acquisitions drops precipitously. My wife still has not the slightest clue that I bought the K20D in July. In amongst two dozen or so other cameras how could she?
So very true! It's not only the lenses, but the boxes as I like to keep them. She knows I am about to sell some other gear since I started packing stuff. This should be good cover for when she notices boxes around. I should be able to sneak the new boxes back in storage.
11-25-2008, 08:00 AM   #18
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Mike Cash Quote
My wife still has not the slightest clue that I bought the K20D in July. In amongst two dozen or so other cameras how could she?
Man, you are so dead if she ever reads this website.

As for me, I've got a wife who doesn't give a damn what camera equipment I buy. In fact before I got into photoraphy she had been encouraging me for years to get other interests. She knows that I buy & sell gear, but she doesn't care as long as we can still eat and save for the kids' education. Hmmm... I guess that's the best type of wife?
11-25-2008, 08:40 AM   #19

Give those to me

Hey buddy,

Remember me? I am your long lost best friend forever. So you can give your lenses to me. I will hide those from your wife.

11-25-2008, 02:06 PM   #20
Veteran Member

Buy her a bling k-m and give her the two lenses.
11-25-2008, 02:19 PM   #21
Syb
Site Supporter

None of the above. You'll need something to defend yourself with.

Something strong, heavy, long. Like a stick. Something like this Get it now, and stand up for yourself man! She won't even want to get close enough to kill.

Good luck!
11-25-2008, 02:50 PM   #22
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I have a suggestion to make based on real life experience. I have purchased three limited lens in 21, 31, 77 and not only that, I recently acquire Cosina 55mm f/1.2 and Tamron 90mm f/2.8 1:1 non-Di Macro. I feel guilty of course. But you know what, it is all worth it for my family. I am not playing tricks with my rational mind. Maybe I am, but please hear me out.

I took my family out for the last few weekends, added a 2 day weekend trip to Monterey Bay Aquarium. I don't hide the new lens from my boys and wife. I use all the limited lens on portraits with my sweetie and boys. The pictures are certainly better with the new gear and I put emphasis on my family. But I am yet to balance the time in hobby versus family. It is a fine art.

When my wife and boys see the pictures in display, I find the lens cost easier to be justified. My boys and my sweetie deserve the very best from me and my gear. And when I walk through pictures with my wife and explain that all those three limited lens help me with the great portraits on her and the boys. It is a no brainer that she say that all the limited are keepers and I have her great endorsement especially on the Tamron 90mm which works out great on her for a portrait shoot.

The limited lens and the Tamron 90mm f/2.8 1:1 macro (non-Di) actually help me bonding relationship with my boys and sweetie. As long as I spend the gear and the time with them, it is all good to go.

by Tamron 90mm f/2.8 1:1 macro (non-Di)

my older boy usually runs away from Camera
He cooperates with the silver 77mm
My sweetie adores this portrait

by Pentax FA 77mm f1/8 limited

Not quite works out
the magic in 31mm limited
yet

by Pentax FA 31mm f/1.8 limited

My traveling prime
My older boy was leaping upon request
from his Dad

by Pentax DA 21mm f/3.2 limited

Hin

Last edited by hinman; 11-25-2008 at 03:09 PM.
11-25-2008, 03:21 PM   #23
Site Supporter

Make sure the will is current - avoid sleeping first, make sure that are no sharp objects in the house, tell her LBA is a disease and you are trying but it may be time for professional help (this forum ), take as many shots as you can while you can.

Compliments , gifts , appologies might work best of luck

11-25-2008, 03:41 PM   #24
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by AlbertSiegel Quote
My wife is Japanese and she is firmly in charge of the home. I learned not to argue with her as I will not win no matter what.
Yeah, I'm learning that same exact thing. There is no way in hell you can win an argument against a Japanese girl...
11-25-2008, 06:00 PM   #25
Veteran Member

Get a new wife.....
There are many other women out there but the lens....they are "limited".
11-25-2008, 06:57 PM   #26
Inactive Account

^ awesome post!

c[_]
11-25-2008, 11:00 PM   #27
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ddhytz Quote
People usually say a Japanese wife is the best wife you could have in this world- they do whatever their husband wants. Now you need to learn how to achieve that.
Ha, must be people that have never been with a Japanese woman, or those who "ordered" one...
11-26-2008, 03:42 AM   #28
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ddhytz Quote
People usually say a Japanese wife is the best wife you could have in this world- they do whatever their husband wants.
You've watched too many old movies. The reality on the ground doesn't match the hype. As a friend of mine once wisely observed, "They look great on the showroom
floor, but marry one and they depreciate faster than a Cadillac" .
11-26-2008, 03:51 AM   #29
Veteran Member

Having a fa 31 ltd makes fa 35 f2 redundant unless fa 31 ltd is a collector item for you.
fa 50mm f1.4 is in no way any better than fa 77 ltd. Of course, the difference is in the focal length difference. You would realise fa 50 f1.4 has a bit of catch up to do comparing to fa 77 ltd...
11-26-2008, 03:57 AM   #30
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by JonPB Quote

My best recommendation: buy her roses, chocolates, champagne and diamonds. If she complains about you buying your toys after that... I don't think I can help you.

Don't. unless it's a normal thing between the two of you.
Doing something different from usual is going to focus attention on you and some asking

QuoteOriginally posted by hinman Quote
I have a suggestion to make based on real life experience. .... But you know what, it is all worth it for my family. .....

When my wife and boys see the pictures in display, I find the lens cost easier to be justified. My boys and my sweetie deserve the very best from me and my gear. ...n
Exactly what I do
I think it's the best way

Last edited by netuser; 11-26-2008 at 04:33 AM.