Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 7 Likes Search this Thread
05-17-2021, 08:06 PM   #16
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

One good thing in your favor, since you chose the K-70, it has exceptional higher ISO capability while preserving quality imaging. The only other practical choice would have been the KP without going whole-hog expensive in the K-1 II. This means you can get by with a lens having only average available apertures, like your DA 18-55mm, yet can still make things work well when dealing with indoor shooting in artificial lighting, while obtaining adequate shutter speeds. So I am with others in saying- let's see what you can get done with your present lens first.

I presume you will not be shooting subjects moving closer and farther away while shooting with your camera in video mode? That you will essentially be setting your focus point and leaving it there?

05-17-2021, 09:35 PM   #17
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by petekeen Quote
Hello Kind Strangers

I recently bought a K-70, I am still very new to photography, and i'm looking for advice on my first lens purchase (I have a starter DA L 18-55mm 3.5-5.6).

I am enjoying learning photography, but I would like a lens for filming in my music production-based videos I am making for youtube.

I am looking for a wide to natural lens to fit in details in a fairly cramped studio environment. I would also like to get some nice bokeh. I am drawn to prime lenses but open to suggestions.

Can you recommend any good options, preferably on the cheaper end of the spectrum.

Thanks in advance
��
Welcome to the forum!

If you want a sharper lens, the HD Pentax-DA 16-85mm F3.5-5.6 ED DC WR is a good choice and a bit wider.

For an ultra-wide, the Sigma 10-20mm f/3.5 EX DC HSM is great. The Tamron AF 10-24mm f/3.5-4.5 SP Di II LD is good and about half the price of the Sigma, but not as sharp.
05-18-2021, 10:55 AM - 1 Like   #18
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by shyrsio Quote
The Sigma 10-20 4-5.6 EX DC is your way to go IMO. Its light small and reliable. Also the Tamron 10-24 is about the same size, if you're more a Tamron guy. Reviewers rate them more or less on par.
I second the recommendation for the sigma. I have the constant aperture version and am always pleased with the results. These can be had for reasonable prices if you are a patient shopper.
05-18-2021, 12:21 PM   #19
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by petekeen Quote
Hello Kind Strangers

I recently bought a K-70, I am still very new to photography, and i'm looking for advice on my first lens purchase (I have a starter DA L 18-55mm 3.5-5.6).

I would also like to get some nice bokeh.
😁
The bokeh on a wide angle is only for very close up. The wider you go the less bokeh you get. So let me show what you can expect for bokeh at 18mm f/1.8.
at 19mm even at f/1.8 you really have no bokeh, but when you drag the shutter to 1/90 to get light while keeping motion blur down and ISO 3200 to see as much in an extremely dark room it can help. Use light for video and you don't need the f/1.8.

To get bokeh at 18mm f/1.8 you need everything behind the subject to be 8 times farther away. So take a picture of someone from a meter away and if they are not at least 8 meters away from things behind them there will be very little bokeh.

05-20-2021, 06:12 AM   #20

Original Poster
I appreciate all of your advice very much. I now realise that a cheap, fast aperture, wide angle lens doesn't really exist - this was something i did not understand before, having seen a variety of cheap 50mm fast aperture lenses on ebay.

I will carry on experimenting with what I have and possibly look into the Sigma and Tamron offerings when I have more of a good idea what I need
05-20-2021, 06:14 AM   #21

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by mikesbike Quote

I presume you will not be shooting subjects moving closer and farther away while shooting with your camera in video mode? That you will essentially be setting your focus point and leaving it there?
Yes that is right - that is the only way I imagine filming at the moment.
05-21-2021, 07:43 AM   #22
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Not cheap, but the DA 20-40 goes from moderately wide to very slightly telephoto. At the wide end it is f2.8.