Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-24-2008, 06:16 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
What is the term for this?

I've noticed one thing with the DA 40 that I've seen in some other lenses. I just don't know the proper term -- can somebody educate me?

What I am seeing is subtle detail in color and luminosity just about everywhere. Areas where I'd expect solid color (backlit dark details for instance) I still see slight, subtle variations in.

Is "microcontrast" the proper term for this? Anybody?

11-24-2008, 07:07 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Can you post images that show what you're seeing?
11-24-2008, 08:11 PM   #3
Site Supporter

If it's supposed to be dark, and you see pixels of different colors... that's noise... Or I could be wrong.. Crop an area of the pic and post it..

QuoteOriginally posted by pingflood Quote
I've noticed one thing with the DA 40 that I've seen in some other lenses. I just don't know the proper term -- can somebody educate me?

What I am seeing is subtle detail in color and luminosity just about everywhere. Areas where I'd expect solid color (backlit dark details for instance) I still see slight, subtle variations in.

Is "microcontrast" the proper term for this? Anybody?
11-25-2008, 06:46 AM   #4
Veteran Member

"microcontrast" is a good term, 'absence of veiling' is another, 'color resolution', um...

"a damn good lens" probably sums it up

11-25-2008, 08:27 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Mark2100 Quote
If it's supposed to be dark, and you see pixels of different colors... that's noise... Or I could be wrong.. Crop an area of the pic and post it..
I'll see if I can find a specific example, but really it's just the overall look of the image. Hard to nail down, but the 40 just looks 'smoother' in the tonal transitions.