Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-24-2008, 06:45 PM   #1
Loyal Site Supporter

Questions about FA50 1.4

It didn't take long for me to get the LBA. My FA50 1.4 lens has just been delivered.

Some questions:
  • Do I need a lens hood?
  • The documentation says that either a square hood or a round hood are compatible. Which one is recommended?

11-24-2008, 07:33 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
i think i saw a rubber hood suitable for the FA50 (which has a 49mm filter thread) somewhere online. u might want to google that. I didn't get it though.
11-24-2008, 10:58 PM   #3
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by RichardS Quote
Some questions:
  • Do I need a lens hood?
  • The documentation says that either a square hood or a round hood are compatible. Which one is recommended?
I have two fast 50s and in practice I typically have no hood. The lens can typically handle adverse lighting that would ruin shots from other lenses.

I do have a round rubber collapsible that I use on the 50s and the 28-105 PZ when things get tricky. Get yourself one on eBay for $5 or whatever. You may never need it, but for $5 it would be a crime not to have one if you ever do need it.
11-24-2008, 11:45 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by raider Quote
i think i saw a rubber hood suitable for the FA50 (which has a 49mm filter thread) somewhere online. u might want to google that. I didn't get it though.
Thanks. This mob have them Lens Hoods | B&H Photo Video but I couldn't find any in Oz.

11-24-2008, 11:49 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by TourDeForce Quote
I have two fast 50s and in practice I typically have no hood. The lens can typically handle adverse lighting that would ruin shots from other lenses.

I do have a round rubber collapsible that I use on the 50s and the 28-105 PZ when things get tricky. Get yourself one on eBay for $5 or whatever. You may never need it, but for $5 it would be a crime not to have one if you ever do need it.
Good advice, thanks. Come to think of it, I never used a lens hood on my Nikon 50mm f1.4. I guess the kit lens started me thinking of lens hoods.

Now all I have to do is find a case or bag for it. Way beck when, lenses came with hard cases when you bought them.
11-25-2008, 12:04 AM   #6
Veteran Member

I have one of the rubber ones on my FA50. I don't use the lens a lot other than indoor/low-light and when I just want that soft creamy bokeh. But since it's the only lens I have that's shorter than 3" the hood serves as an effective guard/reminder to keep my dang finger tips off the front element.
11-25-2008, 12:40 AM   #7
Veteran Member

[*]Do I need a lens hood?[*]The documentation says that either a square hood or a round hood are compatible. Which one is recommended?[/LIST]
Always a good idea to use a hood IMO.
I prefer round hoods. I brought a Kalt metal hood from B&H for $7. Works a treat. Kalt | 49mm Metal Lens Hood | NPMLH49 | B&H Photo Video
Just noticed the price has gone up to $9...still a bargain and it's more solid than a rubber hood (obviously).

You could also try Michael's camera store in the Melb city. They have a bin full of used hoods for about $5-10 each...hard to find 49mm though, but it's been a while since I looked

Last edited by dazman; 11-25-2008 at 12:48 AM.
11-25-2008, 02:14 AM   #8
Pentaxian

u might want to try camera electronic in Perth. Camera Electronic Service Company Pty Ltd - Perth Western Australia

Their online store has lots and lots of stuff but because they are poorly categorized and most have no images, I gave up browsing the site some time ago. But their prices seem decent.

11-25-2008, 03:24 AM   #9
Syb
Site Supporter

I believe in Hoods.

It is not because I see the evidence on a daily basis that they improve my pictures. But the belief is there.

Why, you might want to ask.

* First, because the work of screwing another thing on the lens gives me some more time to think about what I am going to shoot. This reflection period makes my pics better.

* Second, because I am more aware of the direction of the light. That is because I am thinking ''Do I need the lens hood now? Let's see where the light comes from.'' And then I notice.

* Third, because I look carefully at the front element when I screw the hood on. Is there no dead fly sitting on the glass? Is it all clean?

* Fourth, the lens is protected from collisions with whatever. It is like a car bumper.

One might say all these things can be achieved without a $2.50 rubber Hoya hood. That is of course, very correct. But for me it works... so I call it my belief.
11-25-2008, 04:39 AM   #10
Inactive Account

I have a collapsable rubber round hood on mine. Works great...and was cheap.

c[_]
11-27-2008, 10:18 AM   #11
Veteran Member

• Do I need a lens hood?
Definitely if shooting wide open under sunlight.

I bought this one for mine, and recommend.

Kalt | 49mm Metal Lens Hood | NPMLH49 | B&H Photo Video

This one looks almost the same.

MLH49 Adorama 49mm Metal Lens Hood
11-27-2008, 12:09 PM   #12
Moderator PEG Judges

I always have hoods on all lenses at all times, even in the bag, so the lens is good to go in an instant.

I run naked lenses i.e. no uv or protevtion filters etc, so I have to protect my ladies modesty.
11-28-2008, 01:09 AM   #13
axl
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I was trying srew on hood from DA40 on my F50 f1.7. Works perfectly even at 1.7...
More often though I'm using hood from Sigma 105 with step up ring, But I'm planning to get the squeare hood. I just think it looks cool....