Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-11-2007, 05:15 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by FotoPete Quote
sometimes maybe that spot your camera chose isn't the spot you wanted so thats why you gotta rely on your eyes.

yeah the problem is, im focusing something far, even with general eyesight alone, i wont be able to tell. at close distance, i'm fine, i can tell if it's in focus or not.

I think I just need more practice....

here's an example, one of my shots from today

i reshot it, and the 2nd one was more in focus, but, this just really sucks

and here's a crop of when i was playing around inside the house,

with that stuff, i can tell, but the bridge, i'm about 50 or so feet away...as opposed to the 3 or so feet from the jacket

03-11-2007, 05:17 PM   #17
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Alvin Quote
Wish you were in town so that we could trade lenses and pick at this. Is it front of back focus?
I think it's just me. LoL. I just cant manual focus good. I can only be at a set distance to do it, so I can judge better with my eyes.

never had focus problems w/ the body, i'm nearking 5k, and it's been good so far...

i'll post up more photos later from today
03-11-2007, 05:26 PM   #18
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Jon,

(pulling out my lens) Looking at my distance scale, you should be dialed in just before if not on infinity for the bridge. I'm betting you're getting the focus confirmation early, but I can't tell what the camera is locking onto. I'm guessing slight back focus because the centre point of your picture looks like it was just under the bridge.

M lens will always use center focus point on my K100. not sure about K10.
03-11-2007, 05:36 PM   #19
Veteran Member

Original Poster
you know what, knowing me, i probably readjusted before i hit the shutter, cuz the 2nd shot, was better, and i just shot it as soon as it beeped.

i have a few other examples..of the OOF crap, i'll post them up later...

i sure hope it's not a back or front focus problem.

im still leaning towards user stupidity

03-11-2007, 05:54 PM   #20
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by -=JoN=- Quote
you know what, knowing me, i probably readjusted before i hit the shutter, cuz the 2nd shot, was better, and i just shot it as soon as it beeped.

i have a few other examples..of the OOF crap, i'll post them up later...

i sure hope it's not a back or front focus problem.

im still leaning towards user stupidity
LOL - sorry didn't mean back focus on the camera. I'm so bad. I think you put your centre focus point at something behind and under the bridge and it beeped when it locked in at that object underneath the bridge. If you look at the rocks way down there, they appear just a little sharper than the bridge.

EDIT: were you shooting wide open? At that distance, go at most f4 or f5.6. f1.7 (I haven't tried 2.8) is too soft that far.
03-11-2007, 08:04 PM   #21
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Alvin Quote
LOL - sorry didn't mean back focus on the camera. I'm so bad. I think you put your centre focus point at something behind and under the bridge and it beeped when it locked in at that object underneath the bridge. If you look at the rocks way down there, they appear just a little sharper than the bridge.

EDIT: were you shooting wide open? At that distance, go at most f4 or f5.6. f1.7 (I haven't tried 2.8) is too soft that far.

ah, yeah...well, the ducks i shot, i know i was aiming at the head, but that came out bad too.

as far as aperture, i was hopping between f/8 and f/11. f/4 at times, never wider than that. it was too damn bright.
03-11-2007, 08:45 PM   #22
Veteran Member

It looks like the right section of the brigde is partially in focus. This is with the M50/1.7 right?

03-11-2007, 08:53 PM   #23
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by FotoPete Quote
It looks like the right section of the brigde is partially in focus. This is with the M50/1.7 right?
yeah, it's the M50 1.7
03-11-2007, 09:59 PM   #24
Veteran Member

I had the A version of this lens, I think the optics are the same? great little lens..
03-11-2007, 10:09 PM   #25
Veteran Member

I thought all the 50mm has similar optic design, just with different apertures ...

Manual focus is part of the fun though. A lot of people like OOF shots - more artistic?
03-11-2007, 10:28 PM   #26
Veteran Member

Original Poster
not sure about it being the same optics as the A, could very well be, the lens iteslf looks the same. in any case, it's not so much as not liking OOF shots, I mean, i do it on purpose at times, but if you think it's IF but turns out OOF, then thats what's annoying me
03-12-2007, 07:49 PM   #27
Veteran Member

Original Poster
this one came out pretty sharp, used the 540 with it too

so i'm starting to think, for my own purposes anyway, that it's only good for certain applications as my manual focusing is very very limited

btw, pictured above is a new acquisition...(courtesy of Adam... )
03-12-2007, 08:01 PM   #28
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by -=JoN=- Quote

really nice lens......

Alvin, I got box for your stuff now...
Whooo hooo Jon, nice little baby you got there. I think you will love that lens!
I've heard that some think the 1.7 is the best of the 'fast fiftys' . Tough to focus at first but you'll get the hang of it pretty quick.

NaCl(I love both of my fast 50's)H2O
03-12-2007, 08:06 PM   #29
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by fevbusch Quote
Yeah, Jon, I got mine (1.7 M ) from Adorama for about $80. in perfect condition three months ago. Takes great pics but I have so much trouble with the manual focus. Maybe 2 out of 10 shots are in focus. Very frustrating. Any suggestions for me to get better focus? Freddy
Hi Freddy, here are two things that have helped me. First of all get the Pentax O-ME53 viewfinder magnifier, it only magnifies it a bit, but that bit is much better than none. Second: Practice. Here's a bunch of exercises that has helped me immeasurably.
Re: Is a KatzEye required for those using manual focus?: Pentax SLR Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review
They don't take a lot of time to do but they certainly help!

NaCl(it's like the old Carnegie Hall joke)H2O
03-12-2007, 08:11 PM   #30
Veteran Member

*shudders* at the paper thin manual focus ring.

YEa, it can be hard although, I'm mostly used to it by now. Like the link above stresses, you gotta use it for a while before you get used to manually focusing your lenses.

Lenses like the 50mm are pretty good. My vivitar 28-90 is a pain in the ass. All it takes to go from MAcro to Infinity is a 90degree rotation. My Tokina 200mm rotates a ful 270 degrees. I find that helps alot more when it comes to getting that focus right on.