Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-25-2008, 02:11 AM   #1

Photos: Gallery
All rounder lens

Hi

I know there are lots of lens discussions here but i havent found the answer i am looking for.

Basically, before i got the pentax k10d i used to have a konica minolta dimage Z3 which was a bridge camera. The lens was capable of 12x optical zoom and also had macro function.

So the question is, is there a lens i can buy for the k10d which is an all rounder like this?

11-25-2008, 02:21 AM   #2
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by hhrc Quote
Hi

I know there are lots of lens discussions here but i havent found the answer i am looking for.

Basically, before i got the pentax k10d i used to have a konica minolta dimage Z3 which was a bridge camera. The lens was capable of 12x optical zoom and also had macro function.

So the question is, is there a lens i can buy for the k10d which is an all rounder like this?
Yes there are several. You might consider the Pentax 18-250 lens or the Sigma 18-200 lens.

Ben
11-25-2008, 02:54 AM   #3
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by benjikan Quote
Yes there are several. You might consider the Pentax 18-250 lens or the Sigma 18-200 lens.

Ben
While Benjikan might mean well, you'd have to be missing most of your brain to actually want the Sigma 18-200.

For starters, it's made by Sigma.

Secondly, it's got more distortion than a heavy metal album. Purple fringing, green fringing, and it goes from barrel to pincushion without actually managing to stop at a place without any significant vertical distortion at all.

Thirdly, it's a consumer zoom. If you know anything about photography at all, you'll get the Pentax 18-250. It's made by a company who seem to know about zooms - Tamron - and is SMC coated.

Oh, and fourthly, it's about as a block of mozzarella cheese.
11-25-2008, 03:07 AM   #4
Veteran Member

You seem to dislike Sigma lenses. I actually have some Sigma lenses that are performing a lot better than some Tamron lenses I used to have.

11-25-2008, 04:19 AM   #5

Hi

When people move up from digi-cams/'bridge' cameras, superzoom is something they usually tend to leave behind. Zooms are always a compromise, and superzooms even more so. If you want to take full advantage of your new K 10D, get it a nice, affordable set of good zooms, at least two of them, that cover the 18mm to 300mm range. The 18-55 'kit' will do for the lower end. The DA 50-200 or DA 55-300 can cover the longer end. Other lesser quality options in the longer end include the various Sigma/Tamron (sharper) 70/75-300mm f/4-5.6 lenses. Welcome to the world of SLR photography- lens changes are a part of life from now But if you'd still want the convenience of a superzoom, the Pentax 18-250 is supposed to be really good. Of course no superzoom will give you macro the way your Z3 did, but the Tamron and Sigma 70-300s offer a nice 1:2 'macro' mode.

Cheers,
Aditya
11-25-2008, 06:31 AM   #6

Original Poster
Thanks for the advice. I have been looking at the Pentax 18-250 so this answers my question nicely.

Many thanks
11-25-2008, 07:55 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Thanks for the advice. I have been looking at the Pentax 18-250 so this answers my question nicely.

Many thanks
I agree, that's the all-rounder you're looking for.

11-25-2008, 08:13 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
All lenses have compromises in their design, none more so than wide range zoomes. For me they are a compromise too far.

If there wasn't a quality price to pay the only lens Pentax would have to make is 10mm - 200mm, but life ain't that easy.

Chris
11-25-2008, 09:08 AM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ChrisJ Quote
All lenses have compromises in their design, none more so than wide range zoomes. For me they are a compromise too far.
I feel the same way.

Like the OP, I upgraded to my Pentax DSLR from a "superzoom" bridge (a Fuji S5100 in my case). I initially feared I would miss the versatility of the 10x zoom, but I still chose the Sigma 17-70mm as my first (and only) lens at the time (the "105mm equivalent" focal length covered 75% of my shots with the Fuji).

Not long afterwards, I purchased a DA50-200mm to cover most of the gap I felt I was "missing". Well, after nearly two years it turns out I don't use the 50-200mm all that much... I'm happy to have it when I do need the longer reach, but considering how seldom that happens, I am very glad I chose to not compromise the IQ by going with a superzoom.

One of the main advantages of a DSLR is the possibility to change the lens, and therefore use one that is most suited to the pictures to be taken. One should not shy away from that, IMHO.

BTW, my current "travel" kit consists of the aforementioned Sigma 17-70mm, the DA50-200, and the DA12-24. And the 12-24 sees a lot more light than the 50-200...
11-25-2008, 10:56 AM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by lithos Quote
While Benjikan might mean well, you'd have to be missing most of your brain to actually want the Sigma 18-200.

For starters, it's made by Sigma.

Secondly, it's got more distortion than a heavy metal album. Purple fringing, green fringing, and it goes from barrel to pincushion without actually managing to stop at a place without any significant vertical distortion at all.

Thirdly, it's a consumer zoom. If you know anything about photography at all, you'll get the Pentax 18-250. It's made by a company who seem to know about zooms - Tamron - and is SMC coated.

Oh, and fourthly, it's about as a block of mozzarella cheese.
Have you actually used one?
11-25-2008, 12:15 PM   #11
Inactive Account

Sadly, I f*cking own one.

Got it thrust upon me by the sales rep when I bought my K100D. Asked him if I could take a Pentax 18-55. Nope. Asked him if I could get it body only nope.

Was either the 18-125, which I got with my *istDS, or 18-200.
11-25-2008, 12:53 PM   #12
Veteran Member

While I haven't used the Pentax version I can't imagine it being a completely different lens from the Canon one, which while suffering from barrel distortion on the wide end has very little pincushion distortion and is a half decent lens for the money. That said, I'd take the 18-250 if I was offered one of the two.