Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-29-2021, 08:09 PM   #31
Veteran Member

Yep- the DA 18-135mm remains a fav of mine for versatility. Not especially suited for low light, but on a K-70 or certainly a KP, results at higher ISO can be very satisfactory as long as action/movement is not fast. The lens can keep to f/3.5-4.5 up to 70mm.

05-31-2021, 05:53 AM - 2 Likes   #32
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by RICHARD L. Quote
Bernard, as an aside, do you think a pancake 21 mm f/3.2 could do much better than this sunset picture (taken with a DA 18-135 mm ED WR @ f/11) ? I just would like your educated opinion. I am aware that the zoom is a slow lens, not really adapted to low light levels. I might consider acquiring a 21 mm if it's much better (sharpness, contrast, flare resistance). THX !
In these conditions, apart from starbursts like others have pointed out, the DA21 won't do much better. Colours are rich (especially with the colour profile you use) but contrast isn't that high. The 21 will do better for scenes like this

and this

or this

That's particularly true for the SMC version.
05-31-2021, 08:12 AM   #33
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by bdery Quote
In these conditions, apart from starbursts like others have pointed out, the DA21 won't do much better. Colours are rich (especially with the colour profile you use) but contrast isn't that high. The 21 will do better for scenes like this
Thank you for your honest answer. I think I would feel "limited" by a single fixed focal length lens. For "night scenes", I prefer using my 645Z with P67 lenses.

Best Regards

05-31-2021, 08:24 AM   #34
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by RICHARD L. Quote
I think I would feel "limited" by a single fixed focal length lens.
Primes vs zoom, an almost eternal debate!

06-02-2021, 03:25 AM   #35
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by bdery Quote
Primes vs zoom, an almost eternal debate!
I think it's more like a set of primes vs a zoom. There is no single focal length that's going to be good all the time, IMO, so no single prime makes a good walk-around lens.

On current high ISO cameras, wide aperture isn't really needed for low-light.

If you don't need long reach (say >100mm), a set of primes will likely be lighter than a zoom. But it's definitely less convenient having to change lenses.

I have a lot of lenses from 10mm to 800mm. Half zooms and half primes.
Still need to decide which ones not to take on my next trip to Paris on Sunday. The Tamron 28-300 FF is convenient. Sigma 18-300 is sharper and more versatile, but only APS-C.
At least op only has a K-70 and no FF vs APS-C to worry about.
06-02-2021, 07:00 AM - 1 Like   #36
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by madbrain Quote
I think it's more like a set of primes vs a zoom. There is no single focal length that's going to be good all the time, IMO, so no single prime makes a good walk-around lens.

On current high ISO cameras, wide aperture isn't really needed for low-light.

If you don't need long reach (say >100mm), a set of primes will likely be lighter than a zoom. But it's definitely less convenient having to change lenses.

I have a lot of lenses from 10mm to 800mm. Half zooms and half primes.
Still need to decide which ones not to take on my next trip to Paris on Sunday. The Tamron 28-300 FF is convenient. Sigma 18-300 is sharper and more versatile, but only APS-C.
At least op only has a K-70 and no FF vs APS-C to worry about.
When I made a trip to Paris in 2008 or so I took the k100d super and two zooms (18-55, 50-200). Those slow lenses with that ccd sensor with an iso limited sensor were still able to record great moments. My advice is to travel reasonably light and take no more than you absolutely need to avoid being overwhelmed by choices and gear and immerse yourself in the experience. But my style of trip also has to take into consideration my wife who has a limited tolerance for waiting on me to create images - some delays are fine, too many and it gets to her. So a leaner approach for me is necessary. In other situations she’s happy to read or knit in the car while I take time to setup and setup a shot, but not as long can be allowed in Paris - LOL. There she’s always ready to see the next thing.
06-02-2021, 11:00 AM   #37
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
has to take into consideration my wife who has a limited tolerance for waiting on me to create images - some delays are fine, too many and it gets to her.
Been there, done that...

06-02-2021, 01:15 PM   #38
Veteran Member

When I made a trip to Paris in 2008 or so I took the k100d super and two zooms (18-55, 50-200). Those slow lenses with that ccd sensor with an iso limited sensor were still able to record great moments. My advice is to travel reasonably light and take no more than you absolutely need to avoid being overwhelmed by choices and gear and immerse yourself in the experience. But my style of trip also has to take into consideration my wife who has a limited tolerance for waiting on me to create images - some delays are fine, too many and it gets to her. So a leaner approach for me is necessary. In other situations she’s happy to read or knit in the car while I take time to setup and setup a shot, but not as long can be allowed in Paris - LOL. There she’s always ready to see the next thing.
I'm visiting family actually, and my husband isn't going on this trip. I go to Paris every few years and I was overdue. I should have latitude to shoot pics as I wish. I definitely don't need fast lenses with the high ISO camera I have - K-1 II. But then again, the only fast lenses I own are very light primes - Pentax DA35, DA40, DA50, FA50. Taking them really doesn't make much difference in the bag. All of them together weigh less than one zoom.

The heavy lenses are the zooms - Pentax D FA 28-105, Sigma 18-300, Sigma 10-20, Tamron 28-300, and Sigma 70-300 . There is also the 800mm t-mount mirror lens.
I know I'm not taking the mirror lens, though. Did that once, to Vietnam. Wasn't worth the weight.

Pretty sure I'm taking at least the Sigma 10-20 and Pentax D FA 28-105 . Not really sure about either of the two superzooms. My Sigma 70-300 is a great and sharp lens, but big and heavy.

Still undecided about taking my m43 camera - the Lumix GX85. The ergonomics truly suck compared to the Pentax. The EVF is much less usable now that I started wearing glasses. And the programs really do very odd things that surprise me each time, and not in a good way. Main thing good about it is that it's small, but so is my smartphone.
06-02-2021, 02:40 PM   #39
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I'm visiting family actually, and my husband isn't going on this trip. I go to Paris every few years and I was overdue. I should have latitude to shoot pics as I wish.
That’s wonderful! Enjoy the trip.

I definitely don't need fast lenses with the high ISO camera I have - K-1 II. But then again, the only fast lenses I own are very light primes - Pentax DA35, DA40, DA50, FA50. Taking them really doesn't make much difference in the bag. All of them together weigh less than one zoom.

The heavy lenses are the zooms - Pentax D FA 28-105, Sigma 18-300, Sigma 10-20, Tamron 28-300, and Sigma 70-300 . There is also the 800mm t-mount mirror lens.
I know I'm not taking the mirror lens, though. Did that once, to Vietnam. Wasn't worth the weight.

Pretty sure I'm taking at least the Sigma 10-20 and Pentax D FA 28-105 . Not really sure about either of the two superzooms. My Sigma 70-300 is a great and sharp lens, but big and heavy.
I would perhaps add the FA 50 just in case you need a very low light shot or super shallow depth of field.

Still undecided about taking my m43 camera - the Lumix GX85. The ergonomics truly suck compared to the Pentax. The EVF is much less usable now that I started wearing glasses. And the programs really do very odd things that surprise me each time, and not in a good way. Main thing good about it is that it's small, but so is my smartphone.
I have a Panasonic GX1, a GX7, a GX8 and an Olympus EM-1. I too wear glasses but the finder limitations don’t bother me as much as they seem to bug you - but I don’t have the GX85 to compare mine with.

What lenses do you use with it? M43 is hard to directly compare to a 3:2 format but essentially the crop factor is around 1.3x apsc and 2x ff. If you wanted to take a strong telephoto and put that in reserve for the possibility that you need one would the body plus lens be smaller than just lugging along one of the superzooms? I’m a fan of m43 for travel or even smaller but if you already have the big rig planned I’m not sure it’s worth carrying unless you plan to use it as a spare.

I’m not sure you need greater than 105mm unless you plan some unusual locations. 105 was short for me on my trip because there was no room to crop when the image on my little lx-7 (for a square crop) was already 7.5 MP. With the larger files I feel like the camera can be cropped to zoom in sufficiently.
06-02-2021, 03:36 PM   #40
Veteran Member

That’s wonderful! Enjoy the trip.

I would perhaps add the FA 50 just in case you need a very low light shot or super shallow depth of field.
Thanks. I'll probably take at least one prime. That might be the one.

QuoteQuote:
I have a Panasonic GX1, a GX7, a GX8 and an Olympus EM-1. I too wear glasses but the finder limitations don’t bother me as much as they seem to bug you - but I don’t have the GX85 to compare mine with.
This is my first Panasonic and first m43. I just can't get used to its menus. I had to disable the touch screen because my nose kept hitting the screen. But changing the focus point with the hard buttons is plain horrible. The auto AF point always misses my subject. It's as if it's intentionally doing that. So much frustration with this camera.

QuoteQuote:
What lenses do you use with it? M43 is hard to directly compare to a 3:2 format but essentially the crop factor is around 1.3x apsc and 2x ff. If you wanted to take a strong telephoto and put that in reserve for the possibility that you need one would the body plus lens be smaller than just lugging along one of the superzooms? I’m a fan of m43 for travel or even smaller but if you already have the big rig planned I’m not sure it’s worth carrying unless you plan to use it as a spare.
I have the 12-32 and 45-150 lenses. One body plus one lens is definitely smaller than a super zoom. With both lenses it is about equivalent.
06-02-2021, 06:01 PM   #41
Des
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
no single prime makes a good walk-around lens.
There used to be a custom in low-end pubs here that if someone turned their glass upside down they were offering to fight anyone. This seems like the equivalent to me. ;-)

Personally I prefer to walk around with a zoom. But the times that I have walked around with a prime - 15, 35, 43, 50, 77, 100, 300 or 400mm, depending on the circumstances - are often the times when I have got a shot out of the box. Sure you give up opportunities, but it can be very creative.
QuoteOriginally posted by Lumberjack93 Quote
So, after reading all of these recommendations and doing a lot of internet research, I've decided on what additional lenses I'm going to purchase. I want everyone to know, that I spent a lot of time looking at these lenses. I will be spending around 1K on both so I tried to really do my homework.They are:HD PENTAX DA 15mm F4 ED AL LimitedHD PENTAX DA 20-40mm F2.8-4 ED Limited DC WRI believe with these 2 lenses, I can cover all of my low light, walk around needs.
I think you will enjoy them. The 15 in particular takes a little practice to get the most from - I got a lot of benefit from the tips and examples in the "15 Limited controls my mind" thread.
06-02-2021, 06:25 PM   #42
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

When light starts dimming, the DA 18-135 mm still performs well.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 
06-02-2021, 07:19 PM   #43
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

This is my first Panasonic and first m43. I just can't get used to its menus. I had to disable the touch screen because my nose kept hitting the screen. But changing the focus point with the hard buttons is plain horrible. The auto AF point always misses my subject. It's as if it's intentionally doing that. So much frustration with this camera.
Interesting. I find Panasonic menus to be very easy to follow. They are similar to Pentax in my experience but I don’t have the gx85. I also turn off touch screens a lot, and I’m an old school center point focus and recompose guy. I can’t get used to other options - I keep trying but so far the old ways are still with me.

I have the 12-32 and 45-150 lenses. One body plus one lens is definitely smaller than a super zoom. With both lenses it is about equivalent.
Gotcha. Honestly a toss up. The gx85 w/12-35 is quite unobtrusive and easier to use without getting much attention but taking two sets of gear seems like asking for pain. Two chargers extra batteries for both etc. I lean towards no superzoom and no m43 unless for a backup in case of an issue with the main camera. However a backup Pentax apsc body seems like a better choice if you still have one.
06-03-2021, 07:54 PM - 3 Likes   #44

Original Poster
More thoughts

One of the posters made a comment about his wife fussing at him about taking all of "that gear" with them on vacation. Good point.

My wife, on the other hand, makes comments when there is a particularly good photo opportunity and I'm caught "fiddling" with my gear. You know, trying to mount my flash and figure out what lens to use. By the time I get all of my gear out, the photo opportunity is over. Then, I get more comments regarding "why do you have all of the photography gear" if you can't take a simple picture? Another good point. So, this is why I'm now going to keep a dedicated lens on my K-70 that can capture those low light shots of the grandkids immediately. I've found that life happens fast and if you can't capture it, your missing out.

Point in fact. The other day, my granddaughter was on our living room rug and our dog had snuggled up to her. She was dozing off and the dog laid his paw over her. It was the cutest thing you've ever seen. I immediately went for my camera gear and figured I'd need my flash. Well, after I rummaged around and got all of my gear sorted out, the moment was over. I missed it. This is what caused me to start doing things differently. I now keep my camera out on the kitchen table. Battery charged, etc. So, when the grandkids come over and a moment happens, I won't miss out. I think this is why cell phone photography is getting so popular. This was another comment my wife made about my K-70 and all of my gear. "You could have taken that picture with your cell phone. Why do you need all of that photography gear?" Yet another good point on her part.

So, I'm doing things differently now. I love DSLR cameras and the Pentax K-70. It just fits in my hands perfectly. But I'm also reevaluated keeping a huge bag of camera gear in my closet that is not very accessible when "the moment" is right in front of me.

This has been a good thread for me. I've learned a lot. Most importantly, keep your gear handy, ready to shoot and with a lens that will capture low light and everyday photos.

Lumberjack93

Last edited by Lumberjack93; 06-03-2021 at 08:01 PM.
06-03-2021, 08:33 PM   #45
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Lumberjack93 Quote

Point in fact. The other day, my granddaughter was on our living room rug and our dog had snuggled up to her. She was dozing off and the dog laid his paw over her. It was the cutest thing you've ever seen. I immediately went for my camera gear and figured I'd need my flash. Well, after I rummaged around and got all of my gear sorted out, the moment was over. I missed it. This is what caused me to start doing things differently. I now keep my camera out on the kitchen table. Battery charged, etc. So, when the grandkids come over and a moment happens, I won't miss out. I think this is why cell phone photography is getting so popular. This was another comment my wife made about my K-70 and all of my gear. "You could have taken that picture with your cell phone. Why do you need all of that photography gear?" Yet another good point on her part.

So, I'm doing things differently now. I love DSLR cameras and the Pentax K-70. It just fits in my hands perfectly. But I'm also reevaluated keeping a huge bag of camera gear in my closet that is not very accessible when "the moment" is right in front of me.

This has been a good thread for me. I've learned a lot. Most importantly, keep your gear handy, ready to shoot and with a lens that will capture low light and everyday photos.

Lumberjack93
Great post.