Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-24-2021, 08:00 AM - 1 Like   #16
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
Digitalis mentioned going through several copies without being able to find a copy that focused reliably.
I certainly did, and even then the lens I settled for wasn't even close to being 100% accurate or particularly reliable with AF. Optically the Sigma 18-35mm f/1.8 is an incredibly good zoom lens - easily surpassing zoom lenses that cost thousands more. But one has to bear in mind that there is the possibility the lens will mis-focus with PDAF. With mine, the most problematic area was the distance between 1.5m and Infinity, there was no software correction for any AF errors at that distance. And then there are the legendary Sigma QC and optical misalignment issues.

I had one hell of a time getting the sigma 18-35mm f/1.8 ART to work well. When it did work, it was superb....and when it didn't, it was a disaster.

Also for an APS-C lens, it is massive.

05-24-2021, 04:22 PM   #17
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Lumberjack93 Quote

How sharp is the HD PENTAX DA 20-40mm F2.8-4 ED Limited DC WR as compared to the Pentax 15 & 21 lenses? I know that fixed focal length lenses are generally sharper than zoom lenses but this one may be close enough.

Lumberjack93
I have the 20-40 and the 15, but not the 21. The 20-40 is a sharper lens than the 15, at least in my opinion. You might want to check out the lens photo samples sections, the most recent examples in the back pages.
05-24-2021, 04:32 PM - 1 Like   #18
Des
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by ramseybuckeye Quote
if you would decide to go zoom the DA20-40 Ltd zoom is outstanding.
+1
How sharp is the HD PENTAX DA 20-40mm F2.8-4 ED Limited DC WR as compared to the Pentax 15 & 21 lenses? I know that fixed focal length lenses are generally sharper than zoom lenses but this one may be close enough
Like Tom (@Ramseybuckeye) I don't have the 21, but have the 15 and 20-40 Limited. The 20-40 does sit well beside my HD-DA 15mm f4 Limited. Images do have a similar look, with rich colours and very good microcontrast.

I don't think the old rule that primes are sharper than zooms still holds. To put it another way, most modern zooms have quite enough resolution. The 20-40 produces lovely images and the extra versatility would be a big advantage in photographing children. (If anything you might want a lens with a wider zoom range, like the DA*16-50 f2.8 or Tamron/Sigma 17-50 f2.8.)
05-24-2021, 07:48 PM   #19
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I have and love the Sigma EX DG 28mm f1.8 but on my K-5 II it doesn't AF that well. It likes to hunt and such and it's kind of a hassle to use. This isn't as common as with other Sigma lenses but it's not unknown, either.

I haven't used one, so grain of salt, but I would reach for the previously mentioned Sigma 17-50 f2.8 HSM as a top choice for what you're wanting to do. The other I would maybe reach for (and I may just do so at some point) is the out of production Sigma EX DG 24mm f1.8.

05-25-2021, 07:04 PM - 1 Like   #20
Veteran Member

How sharp is the HD PENTAX DA 20-40mm F2.8-4 ED Limited DC WR as compared to the Pentax 15 & 21 lenses? I know that fixed focal length lenses are generally sharper than zoom lenses but this one may be close enough.
Without having done definitive testing, since getting my HD DA 20-40mm, I have not used my DA 21mm nearly as often. Its versatility, excellent WR construction, and compactness make it a fine walk-around option. The DA 15mm is a great companion to the DA 20-40mm and is incredibly small to pack along. It lives in the front accessory compartment of my holster-type camera case.

That said, with things/people that move, especially in less than outdoor daylight conditions, a larger aperture of at least f/2.8 capability is generally the standard. And the flexibility of a zoom lens when dealing with walking around and children is undeniable. The DA 20-40mm does offer f/2.8 at the shorter end. If you are shooting with a camera having outstanding higher ISO performance, like the KP or K-70, this can compensate, making f/4 or even f/5.6 as effective as f/2.8 or larger on a less-capable camera body. Depending on the degree of fast action, and how low the light will be, if the situation is quite extreme and I need a zoom lens, it will be the Sigma 17-50mm f/2.8 EX DC HSM on my KP. It is very good, but they are getting harder to find lately. If I need longer, I mate it with the DA* 50-135mm f/2.8 but with these f/2.8 lenses you are getting into a bit of bulk and weight factors.

Last edited by mikesbike; 05-25-2021 at 07:25 PM.
05-27-2021, 09:30 PM - 2 Likes   #21

Original Poster
Ok, I think I've figured out what to buy

So, after reading all of these recommendations and doing a lot of internet research, I've decided on what additional lenses I'm going to purchase. I want everyone to know, that I spent a lot of time looking at these lenses. I will be spending around 1K on both so I tried to really do my homework.

They are:

HD PENTAX DA 15mm F4 ED AL Limited

HD PENTAX DA 20-40mm F2.8-4 ED Limited DC WR

I believe with these 2 lenses, I can cover all of my low light, walk around needs. These lenses are for times when I don't want to carry around a lot of extra glass and I've seen several examples of great photos that both have taken. They will be used on my Pentax K-70 and I think, combined with this good low light DSLR, they will be excellent shooters. I also like the fact that the 20-40 is weather resistant. I find myself outdoors on lots of occasions and this will be nice.

Many thanks to everyone who opined. I did consider and compare several Sigma, Tamron and Rokinon lenses, but I want to spend my dollars within the Pentax family if I can. I have been a Pentax rebel for sometime, and I want to see this company around for a long time.

Happy shooting from Texas!!!

Again, thanks for each and every reply.

Mike
05-28-2021, 05:20 AM   #22
Pentaxian

So, these are the two lenses that I've been looking at.

HD PENTAX DA 21mm F3.2 AL Limited

Based on the comments, I also need to consider the following:

The 15 is superb, but less versatile as a walkaround.

The 21 would be my choice in that list. The 20-40 is more expensive but a worthy choice also, quite flexible and WR, if that's useful to you (it would be for me).

05-28-2021, 08:41 AM   #23
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

So, after reading all of these recommendations and doing a lot of internet research, I've decided on what additional lenses I'm going to purchase. I want everyone to know, that I spent a lot of time looking at these lenses. I will be spending around 1K on both so I tried to really do my homework.They are:HD PENTAX DA 15mm F4 ED AL LimitedHD PENTAX DA 20-40mm F2.8-4 ED Limited DC WR
Congrats, two masterpieces. Together with your fast 50 that's a great capable and compact 3 lens kit.

QuoteOriginally posted by bdery Quote
The 21 would be my choice in that list. The 20-40 is more expensive but a worthy choice also, quite flexible and WR, if that's useful to you (it would be for me).
For me the 20-40 does everything the 21 does, but adds slightly faster aperture, better edge sharpness, WR, DC. The pancake form factor of the 21 is fantastic though (which is why I keep both)
05-28-2021, 08:48 AM   #24
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by caliscouser Quote
For me the 20-40 does everything the 21 does, but adds slightly faster aperture, better edge sharpness, WR, DC. The pancake form factor of the 21 is fantastic though (which is why I keep both)
The 21 has the smaller form factor, better starbursts if you have the SMC version, and that's about it. For some it's enough
05-28-2021, 08:52 AM   #25
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by bdery Quote
The 21 would be my choice in that list.
Bernard, as an aside, do you think a pancake 21 mm f/3.2 could do much better than this sunset picture (taken with a DA 18-135 mm ED WR @ f/11) ? I just would like your educated opinion. I am aware that the zoom is a slow lens, not really adapted to low light levels. I might consider acquiring a 21 mm if it's much better (sharpness, contrast, flare resistance). THX !

@ 21 mm FL

Last edited by RICHARD L.; 05-29-2021 at 07:42 AM.
05-28-2021, 09:07 AM   #26
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by RICHARD L. Quote
Bernard, as an aside, do you think a pancake 21 mm f/3.2 could do much better than this sunset picture (taken with a DA 18-135 mm ED WR @ f/11) ? I just would like your educated opinion. I am aware that the zoom is a slow lens, not really adapted to low light levels. I might consider acquiring a 21 mm if it's much better (sharpness, contrast, flare resistance). THX !
Not an expert as Bernard is here, but I imagine the HD 21 would do better, having the HD coatings (supposedly increasing contrast and flare resistance) over the SMC coatings of the 18-135. Though with things all stopped down to f/11, it's hard to tell one lens from another. I personally like the 21 for it's lightweight and easy portability for landscapes anywhere. Here's my closest landscape shot to 'into the sun' on my flickr, but no sunset sorry... I quite like this shot and the rendering in it.

There's a couple other landscapes here with the lens, but nothing really great: HD DA 21 Ltd | Flickr
05-28-2021, 04:43 PM   #27
Veteran Member

So, after reading all of these recommendations and doing a lot of internet research, I've decided on what additional lenses I'm going to purchase. I want everyone to know, that I spent a lot of time looking at these lenses. I will be spending around 1K on both so I tried to really do my homework.

They are:

I believe with these 2 lenses, I can cover all of my low light, walk around needs. These lenses are for times when I don't want to carry around a lot of extra glass and I've seen several examples of great photos that both have taken. They will be used on my Pentax K-70 and I think, combined with this good low light DSLR, they will be excellent shooters. I also like the fact that the 20-40 is weather resistant. I find myself outdoors on lots of occasions and this will be nice.

Many thanks to everyone who opined. I did consider and compare several Sigma, Tamron and Rokinon lenses, but I want to spend my dollars within the Pentax family if I can. I have been a Pentax rebel for sometime, and I want to see this company around for a long time.

Happy shooting from Texas!!!

Again, thanks for each and every reply.

Mike
I think you've made a wise choice. You'll have a fine combo of versatility, compactness, great portability, and yet very high quality. If you will be shooting high quality JPEGS right out of the camera, be sure to go into Custom Image menus to set up "Fine Sharpening" with your thumb dial to take advantage of the fine detail these lenses are capable of. Especially in the most often used default "Bright" category. We'd like to hear of your experiences with your new setup.
05-28-2021, 05:47 PM   #28
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
About the only use I find these days for my Sigma 17-50 is, in fact, night walkaround photos. It performs well in that role. (For everything else, the Pentax 16-85 rules over it in my copies of each lens anyway.)
05-29-2021, 06:14 AM   #29
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by RICHARD L. Quote

The da 18-135 is quite good at 20-24’ish mm and not much slower than the DA 21 - I think it is f3.5 at that length. The smc da 21 would give strong starbursts stopped down like that.
05-29-2021, 07:39 AM   #30
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
The da 18-135 is quite good at 20-24’ish mm and not much slower than the DA 21 - I think it is f3.5 at that length. The smc da 21 would give strong starbursts stopped down like that.
Thank you for your answer, U.V.. Indeed the DA 18-135 is awesomely versatile and produces excellent images between 18 and 55 mm FL. No flare was visible in a series of sunset images made between 21 and 88 mm FL. Starbursts don't particularly appeal to me, so, apart from a little color fringing at wide-angle positions appearing in very specific backlit conditions, this zoom should satisfy my needs better than the pancake DA 21 mm. I took one picture with a 21 mm at a local Photo Salon here and found the image quite nice on my older K5 but it is still expensive and not as versatile as a zoom.

40 mm FL

88 mm FL