Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-27-2021, 04:10 AM   #16
Pentaxian

Ehm... a lens must also be carried and in my backpack the space for the "70-200" zoom is exactly the size of the DA*. I can't also add the huge and "not so smart" extra tripod collar.
When the lens is attached to the camera the length is not that important, above all if this means an advantage in the focal range. Another plus is the CPL window in the lens hood.

Sure it hasn't the circular iris, the HD coating, the new SDM and the AF is a problem (mostly because is prone to fail so often a slowness report is in reality an SDM fail report) but my experience with it says that it can be used with a K-1 with great satisfaction.

Last edited by Andrea K; 05-27-2021 at 05:17 AM.
05-27-2021, 04:13 AM   #17
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The DFA*70-200 is awesome (I have it), but a landscape lens has to be something you're willing to carry.....
05-27-2021, 04:20 AM   #18
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Sandy Hancock Quote
a landscape lens has to be something you're willing to carry.....
I carry it in my 5-ton Ford (lol !) and I never get very far from my truck when I photograph on the go. Seriously, it weighs a ton and benefits from using a tripod, so you have to make sacrifices sometimes to achieve "the" picture you're after. You learn to be a masochist with these tele-zooms. Last winter, I got a P67 500 mm f/5.6 for my 645Z, so using the DFA* 70-200 mm f/2.8 is a "lesser evil" ... lol !

Best Regards
05-27-2021, 04:47 AM - 4 Likes   #19
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I know the DA*60-250 has its fans
I guess I am one of these
There are not so many lenses in the review section with 61 reviews and an average rating of 9.57
Yes, I know several members had SDM failures. But I can only judge my copy. I bought it exactly 10 years ago and I never experienced any problems. It was by far my most used lens on APS-C and it is still frequently used on my K1 now.

Great for landscape

or portraits ...

Last edited by volley; 05-27-2021 at 04:53 AM.
05-27-2021, 11:31 AM   #21
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
It can be turned into a full frame lens via some minor butchery, but it cannot be turned into a reliable lens. Owners are playing Rusdian Roulette with this lens regarding the very failure prone autofocus.
Users with failed SDM have been particularly vocal (understandably so) but the vast majority of users have had no problems. It's still not a glorious aspect of Pentax's customer support but let's not pretend a majority of lenses are defective.

QuoteOriginally posted by Andrea K Quote
I have not changed it because the 70-210 is a little longer and does not have the tripod collar.
Indeed. See here for more info:

HD Pentax-D FA 70-210mm F4 ED SDM WR Review - Introduction | PentaxForums.com Reviews

the latter extends a mile at the long end
A short mile, maybe?
05-27-2021, 01:39 PM   #22
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Andrea K Quote
QuoteOriginally posted by bdery Quote
I have not changed it because the 70-210 is a little longer and does not have the tripod collar.
Indeed. See here for more info:
HD Pentax-D FA 70-210mm F4 ED SDM WR Review - Introduction | PentaxForums.com Reviews
It is known since 15 months that the optional Tamron A034TM tripod collar also fits to the K-mount version.
HD Pentax-D FA 70-210mm F4 ED SDM WR Reviews - D FA Zoom Lenses - Pentax Lens Reviews & Lens Database
Tripod collar for HD PENTAX-D FA 70-210mm F4 ED SDM WR? | PENTAXever.com

05-27-2021, 02:29 PM   #23
Loyal Site Supporter

Users with failed SDM have been particularly vocal (understandably so) but the vast majority of users have had no problems. It's still not a glorious aspect of Pentax's customer support but let's not pretend a majority of lenses are defective.
All you are saying is there might only be a couple of bullets in the chamber. A 60-250 buyer is still making a pretty big leap of faith when they are buying a lens with a known defect that causes it to fail with alarming frequency, and over and over again.
It's an OK lens glass wise, it has serious focus breathing, and there are far more reliable choices out there, including one with the Pentax name on it.
Ricoh should just remove the 60-250 from the catalogue until they can put something on the market that doesn't suffer from sudden death motor syndrome.
05-27-2021, 04:53 PM   #24
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Yes, I checked some of the threads mentioned, but not all of them. Thanks for putting them all together!

The lens range seems to be ideal for my purposes (landscapes/cityscapes) and, honestly, I don't care much about AF. When I need precision I use manual anyway. So I'd gladly buy an optically good copy with a dead SDM for a good price and won't even bother fixing it.
05-27-2021, 07:18 PM   #25
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by HoundFrog Quote
So I'd gladly buy an optically good copy with a dead SDM for a good price and won't even bother fixing it.
Same here. If the AF died, I would use it simply as a manual focus lens. I took pictures with manual focus equipment most of my life anyway. This lens is so awesomely performant optically I would never part with it.

Regards
05-27-2021, 07:34 PM   #26

Yes, I checked some of the threads mentioned, but not all of them. Thanks for putting them all together!

The lens range seems to be ideal for my purposes (landscapes/cityscapes) and, honestly, I don't care much about AF. When I need precision I use manual anyway. So I'd gladly buy an optically good copy with a dead SDM for a good price and won't even bother fixing it.

Pm’d you

05-28-2021, 01:32 AM   #27
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by angerdan Quote
I know that there is an optional tripod collar but it is very awkward, it's huge, you have to disassemble it to remove or install, no click stop at 90°....
05-28-2021, 05:15 AM - 2 Likes   #28
Pentaxian

A 60-250 buyer is still making a pretty big leap of faith when they are buying a lens with a known defect that causes it to fail with alarming frequency
Buying new nowadays, the risk is gone, Pentax fixed the problem many years ago.

It's an OK lens glass wise
I completely disagree with that assertion. I rate it optically about as good as the FA77.

it has serious focus breathing
So does the 70-210, and almost all internal focus zooms.
05-28-2021, 09:44 AM   #29
Loyal Site Supporter

Buying new nowadays, the risk is gone, Pentax fixed the problem many years ago.

I completely disagree with that assertion. I rate it optically about as good as the FA77.

So does the 70-210, and almost all internal focus zooms.
Documentation please about Pentax fixing a design flaw issue that seemed unfixable.
The 77, for all it's cult status isn't exactly an optically stellar lens. Its kind of soft wide open, undercorrected spherical aberrations, and some fairly serious fringing issues aren't exactly ooh woo this is great.
Of course, as I have a D FA* 85/1.4, I have a great lens to compare it to.
The 70-210 has the advantage of more reliable AF, as they have done away entirely with the overtorqued watch battery sized motor, and IIRC, doesn't have anywhere near the level of focus breathing that the 60-250 has, though this is just my recollection from what I've read here.
Either way, I wouldn't recommend a 60-250 to anyone based on my experience with it and the myriad reports of failure I've read about from other users.
Decent glass just doesn't make up for its well earned reputation for terrible reliability.

---------- Post added May 28th, 2021 at 10:53 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by RICHARD L. Quote
Same here. If the AF died, I would use it simply as a manual focus lens. I took pictures with manual focus equipment most of my life anyway. This lens is so awesomely performant optically I would never part with it.

Regards
The cost to fix a dead 60-250 was over Can$600.00 when I paid to fix the one that was bought from me. SDM worked when I boxed it and was DOA on arrival.

That should make a used lens worth about Can$200.00 if the SDM is dead. I wouldn't pay more for a used one, as there is no guarantee that one with working SDM won't require an expensive repair, probably over and over again.
05-28-2021, 11:24 AM   #30
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by RICHARD L. Quote
My beloved DA* 60-250 mm f/4 paid for itself a long time ago with the stellar images it produces. Cost is not even a part of the equation. If AF dies, the optics remain.
That's sort of like saying if the engine in my truck dies I'm good with that because the leather upholstery is really nice..
Apologists come up with the best leaps of logic.