Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-01-2021, 09:01 PM   #46
Pentaxian

Isn't that lens designed for an APS-C size sensor? The thread title is asking for full-frame and I think a 17-50 will have severe vignetting.

06-01-2021, 09:09 PM   #47
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by DeadJohn Quote
Isn't that lens designed for an APS-C size sensor? The thread title is asking for full-frame and I think a 17-50 will have severe vignetting.
Oops. My bad. Sorry about that.
06-01-2021, 11:55 PM   #48
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Tesla Quote
Oops. My bad. Sorry about that.
No problem. I wouldn't buy it without researching it :-)

So far, I have come up empty on my quest.

I got an APS-C ultrawide lens for now, Sigma 10-20 f3.5 .

Full gory tests in FF mode in these posts below :

A test of 4 ultrawides on a K-1 - Page 2 - PentaxForums.com
A test of 4 ultrawides on a K-1 - Page 2 - PentaxForums.com

Conclusion : it's not really usable in FF mode except at 20mm wide open. Or with a TC at 12mm (about 17mm effective).

I guess this lens, with an 82mm filter set, will have to do for my next trip to Paris - I leave on Sunday. But I'll keep looking for something really full-frame that can do better.
Still haven't decided on all the lenses I'll take with me, but that one is definitely on the list.
06-02-2021, 06:47 AM   #49
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by madbrain Quote
I guess this lens, with an 82mm filter set, will have to do for my next trip to Paris - I leave on Sunday. But I'll keep looking for something really full-frame that can do better.
Still haven't decided on all the lenses I'll take with me, but that one is definitely on the list.
My last trip to Paris was five years ago. I took the tiny Panasonic LX-7. That camera has an equivalent zoom range of roughly 20-105 if you include the sensor aspect ratio adjustments. I do not recall many times that I wanted to go wider, so the 10-20mm (@20mm) you are taking may not limit your images at all. The 105 end was more limiting, but only in a few specific shots. Obviously the tiny sensor and zoom arenít going to rival the results you should be able to get, but the angles of view needed due to the architecture and such may translate.

06-04-2021, 08:43 PM   #50
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
My last trip to Paris was five years ago. I took the tiny Panasonic LX-7. That camera has an equivalent zoom range of roughly 20-105 if you include the sensor aspect ratio adjustments. I do not recall many times that I wanted to go wider, so the 10-20mm (@20mm) you are taking may not limit your images at all. The 105 end was more limiting, but only in a few specific shots. Obviously the tiny sensor and zoom arenít going to rival the results you should be able to get, but the angles of view needed due to the architecture and such may translate.
My widest lens on Pentax excluding the Sigma 10-20 APS-C is the D FA 28-105 FF. 28 can be too long indoors, and sometimes also outdoors when very close to architectural milestones or on tiny streets.

20-105 would be a lot better than 28-105, but I don't know of such a lens for full-frame Pentax. Do you ?

On my Lumix GX85 the widest lens is the 12-32 which is 24-64 equivalent FOV.
06-05-2021, 06:16 AM   #51
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by madbrain Quote
My widest lens on Pentax excluding the Sigma 10-20 APS-C is the D FA 28-105 FF. 28 can be too long indoors, and sometimes also outdoors when very close to architectural milestones or on tiny streets.

20-105 would be a lot better than 28-105, but I don't know of such a lens for full-frame Pentax. Do you ?

On my Lumix GX85 the widest lens is the 12-32 which is 24-64 equivalent FOV.
Iím not aware of any Full Frame system with a 20-105. Sony has a 24-105 which I own. By all accounts thereís a lot of computational wizardry involved to correct that lens. It does a good job nevertheless but it highlights the complexity of even a 24-105 let alone a 20-105. Even the little lx-7 only has a 24-90 range if you stick to the same aspect ratio on the sensor. The sensor aspect ratio can extend coverage to be wider or narrower in a way that mimics 20 at the wide end and 105 at the long end. Itís a useful trick but nothing more. 20-105 is just over a 5x zoom range but the extreme wide angle seems like it would be a challenge to put into a normal to telephoto without making the lens huge.