Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-25-2021, 05:28 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Sigma Lenses Past Their Service Life

So I have a EX-Sigma 70-200mm 1:2.8 II APO DG Macro HSM the auto-focus is very slow and sometimes won’t focus at all and a EX-Sigma 50-500mm 1:4-6.3 APO DG that was dropped on my truck seat and quit focusing (nothing rattling around inside of lens).

I emailed Sigma and Marc said that they are both past their service life, meaning Sigma isn't making parts for these two lenses anymore. I'm starting to save up funds to get a Pentax DA 150-450 when I have enough.

What can I do with those two old lenses? Any suggestions and no I don't want to destroy them.

Thanks
Jim

05-25-2021, 05:38 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

use them as manual focus lenses on Pentax film cameras?
(Or even on DLSRs)
05-25-2021, 06:03 PM   #3
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by jbrowning Quote
So I have a EX-Sigma 70-200mm 1:2.8 II APO DG Macro HSM the auto-focus is very slow and sometimes won’t focus at all and a EX-Sigma 50-500mm 1:4-6.3 APO DG that was dropped on my truck seat and quit focusing (nothing rattling around inside of lens).

I emailed Sigma and Marc said that they are both past their service life, meaning Sigma isn't making parts for these two lenses anymore. I'm starting to save up funds to get a Pentax DA 150-450 when I have enough.

What can I do with those two old lenses? Any suggestions and no I don't want to destroy them.

Thanks
Jim
Some of those Sigma HSM lenses needed a firmware update to auto-focus correctly in live view (but regular PDAF focus would work if I remember) -- it might be possible to still get that update if that's the problem on that one. The other one sounds like you just broke it -- you'd have to find a third-party repair person or just use MF if possible. (I'm sure someone would buy it at a reduced price.)
05-25-2021, 06:29 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I you can find DIY instructions on the web, it might be worthwhile trying to fix them yourself, especially the very good 50-500 if nothing is actually broken. It may just be a matter of tightening a screw or similar.

05-25-2021, 10:07 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Send them for repair. Sigma may still be able to support you, end of service should not mean denial of service. Sending them to the address above sounds also worthwhile.
05-26-2021, 03:14 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I have a sigma APO70-200/2.8 EX pre digital version.

While it works fine for now, as I have owned the lens for almost 20 years, I actually do consider that some day, it may fail at which point I will need to replace it. As I use it with both 1.4x and 2 x TCs, that replacement will likely be the Pentax 150-450 simply because there is nothing else in the range.

But t is still worth trying to get what you have repaired. The 70-200 almost sounds like it needs cleaning and lube and nothing else. Your 50-50 sounds like a mechanical issue and that could be trickier but give it a try.
05-26-2021, 06:03 AM   #7
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by zapp Quote
Send them for repair. Sigma may still be able to support you, end of service should not mean denial of service. Sending them to the address above sounds also worthwhile.
Sigma will actually tell you explicitly do not send them (to Sigma) if they are no longer supported. A simple firmware update may be an exception to that (and it may not) as that is non-invasive (I'm guessing), but they will not repair or even evaluate any lens past its service life -- they just won't. A third-party repair place can give it a try though.

05-26-2021, 09:59 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Option 1: You can bring the lenses to a independent repair shop and ask if they can do something about it. Honestly, there's probably not much they can do if they need parts and can't have them from Sigma... But not much to lose by having the shop check the lenses.

Option 2: Use the lenses as manual focus ones.

Option 3: Sell them on ebay "AS IS for parts only", get whatever money you can get and buy a new lens.

Option 4: Only if option 1 isn't available and you don't mind tinkering, search for tutorials on how to dismount the lens and try to repair yourself. Again, this might not be useful if you can't have the parts but sometime a good cleaning, lubrification and screwing loose parts can do wonders.
05-27-2021, 06:44 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thank you all for your thoughts. You all have given me plenty to think about.

One thing I was wondering is could I use the 50-500mm in catch in focus mode made by taping the auto focus contact on the lens and/or camera?

Thanks
Jim
05-27-2021, 02:25 PM   #10

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by jbrowning Quote

Thanks
Jim
Get a quote from these guys around Atlanta Camera Repair Japan KEH subs some Sigma repair to them.