Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-25-2008, 08:51 AM   #1
Inactive Account

Wide angle macro lens

I know it does seem to be an oxymoron, but that is just what I need, for Architectural Model photography.

Thing is, I know that baccalaurate physics will tell you the 50 equiv. lens will give you the eye perspective, which happens not to be so much true. The organ that sees is the brain, not the eye; and the brain does usually play tricks on us [which is the reason why we do have peripheral vision, and the reason we tend to see spaces in wide angle instead of the 50mm version].

I´m looking for a wide angle [circa 14mm] lens suitable for the KAF2 mount, which has close focusing capabilities. Now, even if they do not exist on other mounts, I can precisely recall the existence of one Pentax DA lens which can focus as close as 5cm, even if the lens doesn´t say so. I know, I know that it looks surreal, but it does exist. I don´t know if it is the DA14 F2.8, DA 12-20 or the DA 16-45 F4 the one which does that. Any clues?

I wouldn´t care about having any other type of K mount, brand, or nationality [be it Zeiss, Jena, Zenithar, Industar, Helios, Jupiter, Kiev, Cosina-Voightlander, Tamron, Kiron, Sigma, Vivitar, Komine] or M42 lens.

I do recall seeing a comment about this -think Mike Johnston said it-, but I don´t know where and which lens was.

Thank you on beforehand to y´all.

[my bloody first post, this is].

Last edited by iñaki; 11-25-2008 at 08:52 AM. Reason: Wanted to add some tags, but I can´t do so [pity] when editing the post.
11-25-2008, 08:57 AM   #2
Veteran Member

I just bought a 14mm DA lens. I'll try it out when I get home tonight, if someone doesn't confirm beforehand.

I do know that the 10-17mm DA fisheye does what you're talking about, but being aspherical, will distort the lines. The distortion isn't as severe at the 17mm end though.

I'll post photos from both tonight.
11-25-2008, 08:07 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Here are the results:

The first shot is with the DA14 @ f2.8 with the closest focus distance of 5 cm.
The second is the DA16-45 @ f4.0 with the closest focus distance of 10 cm.
The third (@10mm) and fourth (@17mm) is the DA10-17 @ f4.5/f3.5 with the closest focus distance of 2.5 cm. (The barrel distortion isn't as bad at 17mm when the distance to the subject is further.)
The last is the FA100 macro @f11 at a distance of about 1 m.

I hope this helps. You might be best off using a 50mm macro or the 100mm macro.

Last edited by Nachodog; 07-15-2009 at 11:52 AM.
11-25-2008, 08:56 PM   #4

best wide angle macro is all bellow lens. I will say Olympus Zuiko Macro 20mm f2 is awesome although it can only close down to F16. It provide 13.6x magnification. Adapt the bellow to PK is much easier than adapt a lens.

11-26-2008, 06:05 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by vanchaz2002 Quote
best wide angle macro is all bellow lens. I will say Olympus Zuiko Macro 20mm f2 is awesome although it can only close down to F16. It provide 13.6x magnification. Adapt the bellow to PK is much easier than adapt a lens.
OK, I have to ask... why on earth do you have four 28/3.5 copies?
11-26-2008, 08:47 AM   #6
Site Supporter

The 10-17FE focuses very close, but the FOV is so wide that it's hard to tell. Some examples:

Pretty big crop on this one:
11-26-2008, 08:56 AM   #7

Why I bought lots, it just comes.........
11-26-2008, 09:34 AM   #8
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by iñaki Quote
I know it does seem to be an oxymoron, but that is just what I need, for Architectural Model photography....

[my bloody first post, this is].

Welcome to the forum. I have two lens suggestions, both of which I've owned and can share some thoughts on.

- DA35/2.8 macro. Its about as wide as a dedicated 1:1 macro actually comes, though it doesn't sound as though full 1:1 macro is what you're after - at least you'de have the option. Respectable price and performance, manual focus isn't bad for an af lens and its built well.

- Zeiss T*25/2.8. Not advertised as a macro, but is the closest focusing wide angle I've used with a 0.17m minimum distance. This works out to about an inch and change off the front element at mfd. Life scale equals 1:2.3 (half). I don't think you'll find a sweeter combo of wide + close focus than this. Has a very precise, long throw manual helical (no af).

I have some T*25 samples:

A tamarind fruit -

A fly sitting on a spine of a dead deer -

A leaf -

A slider on my mixing board -

Last edited by thePiRaTE!!; 11-26-2008 at 09:59 AM.
11-26-2008, 09:53 AM   #9
Veteran Member

The DA12-24/4's minimum focusing distance is 30cm. That is measured from the sensor plane, and it amounts to a bit over 8 inches from the lens' front element.