Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-25-2008, 09:28 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Ideal Event / Wedding Kit

Thanks all the have helped me on the previous weddings that I've done in the past month. Lots of good inputs and recommendations (rented 16-50, bought 50-135, 77ltd, etc...)

I just wanted to share what I have learned and what I plan on doing in the future, regarding events and weddings.

* I've found out I hate to swap lenses in a hurry...
* Time is of essence... so swapping lenses could be dangerous
* Zooms are good, but even DA*s are not that fast...

Based on that, for my next wedding/event, I plan on using mostly two lenses on two bodies (at this time i plan on renting a 2nd body, and eventually buying an extra body)

- K10D + FA35 f/2
- K20D (rented) + 77mm f/1.8

And of course, I'd bring all my gear just in case (16-45 for a wide angle shot for instance) but the plan would be to use the two main kits above, for most of the shots.

I'm excited about this goal, and have a good feeling about this kit.

Any comments from wedding / event photgs?

Thanks in advance!

BB

11-25-2008, 09:47 AM   #2
Forum Member

Hi, here is a similar discussion:

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-slr-lens-discussion/38973-event-ph...up-choice.html

Btw:

-I'm not a wedding photog, but I want to be one.

-I've done a event before and will do some events in the future.

-Yes, changing lenses is a waste of photo opportunities.

-Agreed: Having 2 bodies with complementary lenses attached is a must, because of 2 factors: Not wasting time in changing lenses and backup.

-50-135 was enough for me in a relatively well lit event, though there was a traditional dance and I got some blurred photos (ok when you want them to have
some movement, but kind of repetitive).

-I agree, sometimes even 2.8 does not cut it, because even if you can hand hold it, people will not move slower.

-I missed not having a tripod (or monopod).

-I missed not having an external flash.

My ideal kit would be slightly different from yours, though:

-50-135 on one body.

-12-24 on the second body.

-2 or 3 fast primes that serve as low light shooters as well as backups. One wide in the 12-16 ish range, one "normal" in the 28-35 range and a tele at 55-100 range.

Why?

Whenever possible, I like zooms as the give you the flexibility in the fast-paced environment.
When the low-light non-flash portion of the event comes, there are primes in the bag to save the day.

I hope to continue discussing this in the future, when we both have a little bit more of experience .
11-25-2008, 10:17 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Ha ha ha!

I've checked your thread, and ironically I was the first to reply to it.. and that was rigth after I've done my first wedding...

Three weddings later and I post a new thread!

11-25-2008, 10:50 AM   #4
Forum Member

Hehe, nice coincidence...

Btw, I've noticed 16mm is the widest your kit goes. Anything further distorts too much? 16mm is enough? or just barely enough?

11-25-2008, 03:04 PM   #5
Veteran Member

I did my first wedding as the official photographer last month. My wife was on a
K10D with a DA 50-135 mounted, and an AF540 flash. I had a k10d with a Sigma 70-200mm f2.8, and a Samsung gx-1l (ist dl) with a Sigma 28-70mm f2.8, and an AF540 flash on a bracket. I also had a fa50mm f1.4 that never came out of the bag. I used a Sigma 15-30mm for a few shots in the church and reception, and my wife slapped the kit lens on for a few shots while she was with the bride at her house. I was also using a battery pack on my flash set up. All in All I would say we had everything covered focal length wise. We also had a couple back-up manual flashes in case one of our 540's failed. We had 10 k10d battery's , 30 AA batteries, 2 sets of batteries for the flash battery pack. We also brought about 20 SD cards, our laptop, and a portable photobank style hard drive. Not to mention a tri-pod + mono-pod that we never used.

Ideally, I think I would like each shooter to have 2 cameras, one with a long fast zoom, and one with a short fast zoom. Flashes mounted on the short zoom cameras. Battery packs being used on the flashes. The only lens change would be a fisheye or wide angle when situations called for it.
11-25-2008, 05:58 PM   #6
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by BBear Quote
* I've found out I hate to swap lenses in a hurry...
* Time is of essence... so swapping lenses could be dangerous
* Zooms are good, but even DA*s are not that fast...
Well it all depends, i do some corporate events (more than I like to actually)...
Dual bodies is a good concept. I have not found lens swaps dangerous though, two bodies are just easier.
I have found f2.8 to be fast enough, but yeah nothing beats a fast prime when light really sucks.

Based on that, for my next wedding/event, I plan on using mostly two lenses on two bodies (at this time i plan on renting a 2nd body, and eventually buying an extra body)

- K10D + FA35 f/2
- K20D (rented) + 77mm f/1.8

And of course, I'd bring all my gear just in case (16-45 for a wide angle shot for instance) but the plan would be to use the two main kits above, for most of the shots.

I'm excited about this goal, and have a good feeling about this kit.

Any comments from wedding / event photgs?
As already said two bodies is the way forward, especially because you will need a backup if (or when) your main body breaks down.

Well sound interesting I think. Even better it sounds doable...
I would have gone with something like a fast 20mm lens instead of the 35, but that is just my shooting style.
If you know your primes well I think you should be able to do just fine.

Hopeful some of the more experienced wedding shooters will chime in.

let us know how it goes.
11-25-2008, 07:13 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Many moons ago I moonlighted as a wedding photographer back in the film days.

Main equipment I used was a Hassy - for reasons I won't go into here.
I also had a Nikon for fast candids.

What style of wedding photos are you or the client after? This should determine what equipment you use. If they or you prefer mostly candid/journalist or posed/fashion model photo type you will need to adjust the lens accordingly.

On my Hassy I carried a 60mm (WA, primary lens - similar to 35mm on 35 film) and a 180 on a 2nd body (portrait, similar to probably a 105 on 35 film). This was used mostly for church/ceremony, multiple exposure shots, posed shots - ie 85-90%. Mostly with flash, Metz 60 CT-4, all manual metered with a hand incident meter.

On my Nikon, I carried a 35-70 (the f3.5/4.5 - yuck!) and occasionally the 80-200 f2.8. The Nikon was used for table shots, candids at the reception.

edit: I would rent a 2nd hassy body for backup purposes and a 180 or 150, however, eventually I discovered that I knew when the portraits would be taken well ahead of time and ditched the 2nd hassy body. I considered my Nikon as the backup.
If I were you, I'd consider possibly a 3rd body or even a film body that is non-electrical (MX or LX). The hardest, most stressful thing about wedding photography (or any event) is failure of any of your equipment, especially the electronic ones. The mechanical MX or LX with your limited lenses will still get you great shots and you can always have the film processed and scanned. If I were to do weddings again in this digital time, I would more than likely still use the Hassy with 60 and 150/180 and have the 120 film scanned afterwards. I would also bring a 35mm digital (Nikon or Pentax :-)) again for the quick candids.

Your choice of using the 31 + 77 pretty much is equivalent to what I used back in my moonlighting days.

Last edited by PentHassyKon; 11-26-2008 at 09:22 AM.
11-25-2008, 11:06 PM   #8
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ariahspam Quote
Btw, I've noticed 16mm is the widest your kit goes. Anything further distorts too much? 16mm is enough? or just barely enough?
I'm not the person addressed, but it seems obvious enough to me that this is entirely subjective. I would imagine many people would be perfectly happy shooting with nothing wider than 28mm, and others would be lost if they couldn't get below 15mm.

11-25-2008, 11:15 PM   #9
Veteran Member

I'd be very happy with the 31 + 77 combination for weddings
11-26-2008, 08:06 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Marc Sabatella Quote
I'm not the person addressed, but it seems obvious enough to me that this is entirely subjective. I would imagine many people would be perfectly happy shooting with nothing wider than 28mm, and others would be lost if they couldn't get below 15mm.

You are right Marc,

FOr instance, 35mm is already a very nice FOV for me... so when I need a group shot, 16mm is usually way more than needed.
11-26-2008, 08:07 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by soccerjoe5 Quote
I'd be very happy with the 31 + 77 combination for weddings
Ha ha ha ha!

I'd hate to ditch the FA35... but hey... if this business does roll as expected, why not invest in the best lens ever made?!!

Ohh geez... let my FA35 read this and she'll stop performing so greatly!
11-26-2008, 09:48 AM   #12

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I did some wedding shoot but mainly as backup photog.. i.e. 3rd Photographer.. I was mainly assigned to shoot anything I want.. heheh.. Based on my observation, here's for me the best kit:

K20D + DA* 50-135mm or the Sigma 70-200mm F2.8
K20D + DA* 16-50mm F2.8 + 540FGZ

540FGZ ( wireless triggered)
PRIMES for Low Light FA 50mm F1.7

This basically will do me fine..

One thing I noticed in the wedding I've attended:
The main photog have already setup some lights in the place and have 2 assistants carrying 2 light sources. Both assistants already know where to go if the main photog will make a shot.. He just needs to give a sign to the assistants.

Not a PRO but just wanted to chip in.. heheh.. been doing some events lately.. Might learn a two or three here!
11-26-2008, 12:12 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Ha ha ha ha!

I'd hate to ditch the FA35... but hey... if this business does roll as expected, why not invest in the best lens ever made?!!

Ohh geez... let my FA35 read this and she'll stop performing so greatly!
Hehehe

Realistically though the 35 + 77 is such a sweet combo. That 35 is so good!

I really wish Pentax had a "regular" short and fast telephoto lens in the 70-90mm range just like the 35/2 and 50/1.4 so I wouldn't have to shell out so much for the limited telephoto. Nikon and Canon have their 85/1.8 lenses which aren't so expensive. An FA 72mm/2.0 (just picking weird numbers since Pentax likes to do that for focal lengths) that's around $350-400 would be awesome with the FA35.