Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-27-2021, 12:48 PM - 1 Like   #16
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by txusic Quote
would like a comparrison of people that have put both head to head.
I have shot both and currently own the SMC, but have not compared head to head. Conventional wisdom would favor the SMC, except for the fussiness regarding the A/M switch. Moving it to the "M" position is disabled unless the tiny black interlock pin on the mount face is depressed by a rear cap, adapter, or camera mount. Forcing it will break the aperture mechanism.

Truth be told, unless one really wants the f/1.4 maximum aperture, my recommendation goes to the Super Tak 55/1.8 or SMC/S-M-C Tak 55/1.8 (also radioactive).

Steve

Last edited by stevebrot; 05-27-2021 at 02:11 PM.
06-03-2021, 02:19 AM   #17

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
I have shot both and currently own the SMC, but have not compared head to head. Conventional wisdom would favor the SMC, except for the fussiness regarding the A/M switch. Moving it to the "M" position is disabled unless the tiny black interlock pin on the mount face is depressed by a rear cap, adapter, or camera mount. Forcing it will break the aperture mechanism.

Truth be told, unless one really wants the f/1.4 maximum aperture, my recommendation goes to the Super Tak 55/1.8 or SMC/S-M-C Tak 55/1.8 (also radioactive).

Steve
thanx... i did wantes a fast optic, but i suppose .4 wonŽt make that much of a difference

thanx iŽll take that advice
06-03-2021, 04:27 AM   #18
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I think some where people discussed the evolution of coatings and I think you will find that as coatings evolved over time and lens series, that many super taks are actually multi coated, they just didn’t advertise it.

As a general point, the newer the lens the better the coatings, all else being equal, but as some have pointed out some series of lenses used thorium elements, which yellow over time if not exposed to the sunlight (or other up source)

You also need to consider that while there are newer lenses, people look for unique characteristics not just coatings and or lens design
06-03-2021, 11:45 PM   #19

Original Poster
Yes that's what I was looking for that original super tak, kind of image...

obviously I can't afford nor find and affordable original super tak with eight blades... so I wanted the next inline, I heard that there multi-coated tax where very similar but with better flare resistance and contrast...

I have an old Canon and I need to shoot in very dark environments... That's why I wanted an affordable 1.4f with character

06-04-2021, 01:16 PM - 1 Like   #20
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by txusic Quote
Yes that's what I was looking for that original super tak, kind of image...

obviously I can't afford nor find and affordable original super tak with eight blades... so I wanted the next inline, I heard that there multi-coated tax where very similar but with better flare resistance and contrast...

I have an old Canon and I need to shoot in very dark environments... That's why I wanted an affordable 1.4f with character
What ever you decide shoot it without filters. They only add bright reflections at night