Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-30-2021, 10:24 AM - 1 Like   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Finally a prime

Well I finally made the jump after studying the lens data base I decided to make the jump to a very nice lens it is the HD DA 55 -300MM ED WR lens. Bought it on the bay for a very reasonable amount, Have only had it a couple of days and just beginning to learn how to use. So far it has performed great, of course the photographer needs more practice, but then that's the fun of this game. Thanks to all for the great advice.

05-30-2021, 10:37 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Congrats on the new acquisition - am sure you'll have some stuff worth sharing. I'm not sure about the title - a zoom is not a prime, as it has variable instead of fixed focal length ;-)
05-30-2021, 12:09 PM   #3
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
prime?
05-30-2021, 12:49 PM - 1 Like   #4
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by pepperberry farm Quote
prime?
Yes, 246 ones in just one package!

05-30-2021, 01:23 PM - 1 Like   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ProfessorBuzz Quote
Congrats on the new acquisition - am sure you'll have some stuff worth sharing. I'm not sure about the title - a zoom is not a prime, as it has variable instead of fixed focal length ;-)
Right- if the lens acquired had been the DA* 300mm f/4, that would be a prime.

But the DA HD 55-300mm ED WR lens is a very good choice. It is well-built and performs very well. I've had mine for numerous years and I value it greatly. Which camera are you using?
05-30-2021, 02:05 PM - 2 Likes   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by mikesbike Quote
Right- if the lens acquired had been the DA* 300mm f/4, that would be a prime.

But the DA HD 55-300mm ED WR lens is a very good choice. It is well-built and performs very well. I've had mine for numerous years and I value it greatly. Which camera are you using?
Nothing to add, but I thought I'd like this to take you to 1000
05-30-2021, 03:15 PM - 2 Likes   #7
Veteran Member

A prime is a zoom with a *1 zooming ability. A zoom is a prime that allows moving yourself by just turning a ring.

Title makes sense!

And congratulations for your purchase!

05-30-2021, 07:59 PM - 1 Like   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by BarryE Quote
Nothing to add, but I thought I'd like this to take you to 1000
Well thank you! How very nice!
05-31-2021, 02:33 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks to all for your comments,I have a K5 I'm old school, very old, have a spotmatic I bought in 71 went to digital in 2018. Has been a lot of fun learning how to use. Have posted photos here some good some no so good. Anything with DA in front of the nomenclature is a prime for me. Thanks again see u on the Froum
05-31-2021, 08:46 PM - 1 Like   #10
GUB
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by dipo 1 Quote
Thanks to all for your comments,I have a K5 I'm old school, very old, have a spotmatic I bought in 71 went to digital in 2018. Has been a lot of fun learning how to use. Have posted photos here some good some no so good. Anything with DA in front of the nomenclature is a prime for me. Thanks again see u on the Froum
But it pays to speak the same language when talking to others
The lens reviews lay it out clearly. Pentax Lenses - Pentax Lens Reviews & Lens Database
Attached Images

06-01-2021, 02:53 AM - 2 Likes   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Anything with DA in front of the nomenclature is a prime for me
While the word "prime" does have a meaning in English that equates to "the best", in photographic terms "prime" means a single focal length lens as opposed to a zoom.
06-03-2021, 01:35 PM - 1 Like   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Well excuse me for my lack of not using the right nomenclature, didn't mean to set the forum on fire, still an excellent lens, and I'm quite proud of it. And will be using it for a long time. If I spoke the language, which I don't know all of, you would see better photos or is that images, getting a little stuffy in here. However I understand what you mean, ain't the sharpest tack in the box but ain't stupid either. Yes GUB I know where the lens review is located.
06-05-2021, 12:46 AM   #13
Veteran Member

Well excuse me for my lack of not using the right nomenclature, didn't mean to set the forum on fire, still an excellent lens, and I'm quite proud of it. And will be using it for a long time. If I spoke the language, which I don't know all of, you would see better photos or is that images, getting a little stuffy in here. However I understand what you mean, ain't the sharpest tack in the box but ain't stupid either. Yes GUB I know where the lens review is located.
It is a common error. I've always thought the term originally came from the word "primary" differentiating a then standard single focal length lens from an "amateurish" zoom lens, from the days of yore when a zoom lens was a novelty.
06-05-2021, 01:58 AM   #14
Pentaxian

Lucky you ! I got my Spotmatic in '74.
Was a revelation to discover that Pentax was making DSLRs
And I could still use my super takumar 50 1:1.4
06-05-2021, 06:13 AM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Most primes aren't even prime... I can only think of the 31 and 43 which are actually prime... what about that? :P