Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-02-2021, 01:18 AM   #1

Photos: Gallery
SMC Pentax-FA 28-80 - broken power zoom switch

Hi

I have lens with broken power zoom switch, as on photo...
Zoom ring doesn't work, is it expected with all contacts open? Is it issue of switch? If yes, which pads may be connected to make zoom ring works?

br
Andrzej

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
Redmi 7A  Photo 
06-02-2021, 01:34 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by apaluch Quote
I have lens with broken power zoom switch, as on photo..
That is a common issue with that series of lenses. Pull the zoom ring towards you and you can then zoom manually.

The best way to get a replacement switch is to buy another lens and swap it over, but I am not sure if the power zoom works on a modern DSLR.
06-02-2021, 03:38 AM   #3
Veteran Member

High end models can operate powerzoom like K3 and K1. KP cannot.

Last edited by Bertrand3000; 06-02-2021 at 04:05 AM.
06-02-2021, 03:46 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Bertrand3000 Quote
High end models can operate powerzoom K3, K1. KP cannot.
What you say is contradictory, the K1 and K3 clearly are high end models.

For the record, the support for Power Zoom is limited to supplying power to the zoom motor, so you can zoom using the zoom ring, but nothing else, none of the functions such as zoom while shutter is open , image so PZ1 tracking don’t work

---------- Post added 06-02-21 at 06:47 AM ----------

Hi

I have lens with broken power zoom switch, as on photo...
Zoom ring doesn't work, is it expected with all contacts open? Is it issue of switch? If yes, which pads may be connected to make zoom ring works?

br
Andrzej
I picked up one for $10 with the same issue. I filled the hole with epoxy, but I can’t recall whether the poser zoom worked or not, on my 28-105 I managed to find all the pieces and put it back in place with crazy glue

06-03-2021, 10:06 AM   #5

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by pschlute Quote
That is a common issue with that series of lenses. Pull the zoom ring towards you and you can then zoom manually...
Thank you for advice, worth to know that zoom ring can be pulled but too late - I've just disassembled the lens... and interesting, zoom motor was broken (brushes was exhausted). After bending them to better contact to rotor, motor works (with 5V power supply)... but after assembly power zoom still don't work with K-x. Strange that power zoom is an issue for DSLRs, since it's just matter of delivering current to motor.
06-03-2021, 12:33 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Strange that power zoom is an issue for DSLRs, since it's just matter of delivering current to motor.
Power zoom was a short lived feature of lenses of this period. Most people, myself included, turned the stupid thing off.
03-28-2022, 10:26 AM   #7
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by pschlute Quote
Power zoom was a short lived feature of lenses of this period. Most people, myself included, turned the stupid thing off.
what was the switch for???? I just one one of these attached to a Pz-20 at a yard sale

03-28-2022, 02:08 PM - 1 Like   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by titrisol Quote
what was the switch for???? I just one one of these attached to a Pz-20 at a yard sale
https://www.pentax-manuals.com/manuals/accessories/fa_lenses_91.pdf

Password is Pentax
04-27-2022, 01:40 PM   #9

Hello everybody,

same Lens here, same Switch Problem, but my copy of the lens shows no problem when its mounted on a Z10. Power Zoom and AF are fine and functional. Mounted on my K1II/K5/K20 im only able to use manul focus and manual zoom and the camera asks for the focal length, only the apeture can be controlled by the camera. Any Ideas how to solve the problem? Would be great if at least AF could be used.

Regards
Chefk0ch
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-1 Mark II  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-1 Mark II  Photo 
04-28-2022, 05:52 PM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Chefk0ch Quote
Hello everybody,

same Lens here, same Switch Problem, but my copy of the lens shows no problem when its mounted on a Z10. Power Zoom and AF are fine and functional. Mounted on my K1II/K5/K20 im only able to use manul focus and manual zoom and the camera asks for the focal length, only the apeture can be controlled by the camera. Any Ideas how to solve the problem? Would be great if at least AF could be used.

Regards
Chefk0ch
I'd clean the contacts on the lens and on the camera.

I used the very similar PZ 28-105 on my K1/ii for a while as my main lens, and it worked fine as a basic lens.
Autofocus and power zoom were both completely functional. Focal length was also fine.
As mentioned above, none of the fancy features worked, though.

I will note I have a nasty habit of switching the body to manual focus mode then wondering why my lenses don't focus...

-Eric
04-30-2022, 03:14 PM   #11
Pentaxian

I made a brief enquiry regarding these Power Zoom lenses on DSLRs a few months ago … conclusion was basically that the feature was only good for flattening batteries on modern cameras
The "trick" is that if you can read the lettering "Power Zoom" then manual zoom won't work, you need to pull the zoom ring towards the camera to engage manual zoom.
In that configuration it works just like any other "A" lens.
05-01-2022, 01:22 PM   #12

Contacts already cleaned a few times, makes no difference, all my other lenses are ok without any problem.

Sometimes the lens is fine, tested today again, got it functional two times: pulled the power zoom ring to manual zoom mode, K1II to MF, switched the Camera on, switched to AF and the lens does what it should. Powered the Camera off, repeated the steps, lens functions again, no card in the camera, so Power off, insert card, Power on, camera asked for focal lenght. Since then, no more AF.

I can really do without power zoom but AF would be great, for MF i´ve got many other lenses. Ok, for AF too, but thats not the point here. I like the colors out of this lens. Example posted in the FA unlimited Lens Club.