Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-10-2007, 06:42 PM   #16
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

QuoteOriginally posted by slipchuck Quote
I found someone who is selling this lens as well as a SMC M 1.4
is the 1.2 a great lens?

also, will both of these lenses have auto exposure with my K10?
they are both around 50 canadian dollars

thanks

randy
Hi Randy, If it really is a 50mm 1.2 lens you've got a great deal! I love mine. Here's a link to the post I made about it some time ago.https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/post-your-photos/3052-you-allowed-fall-love-lens.html
The focusing isn't hard unless the lens is wide open, then you have to take care because the DOF is very narrow. Otherwise I've found it not hard to focus, but I have to pay attention! Also when I'm shooting for a long time (couple, 3 hours continuous) with a manual lens my eyes get a bit tired, and I have to be even more careful.

NaCl(hope that helps)H2O

03-10-2007, 07:36 PM   #17
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by roy Quote
the cam does respond with the red square when focus is attained with manual lenses.
Yes. Unfortunately is also responds with the red square when just nearly in focus. At least that is what happens with my DS. Is the K10D better, does the red square lit up only at one exact (and correct) point when focusing, or is there a bit of slack just a tad in front of, and back of, focus?
03-10-2007, 08:42 PM   #18
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Jonas B Quote
Yes. Unfortunately is also responds with the red square when just nearly in focus. At least that is what happens with my DS. Is the K10D better, does the red square lit up only at one exact (and correct) point when focusing, or is there a bit of slack just a tad in front of, and back of, focus?
The red square is a false friend. The green hexagon is more reliable. Use the red square merely as an indication that you're in the neighborhood of the green hexagon.

If I could ever stop myself from blowing all my money on more lenses I might actually be able to get a Katz-Eye.....
03-10-2007, 09:13 PM   #19
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ChrisN Quote
I posted some samples from the K 50/1.2 a little while ago. Here
Hi Chris, your link is not working, probably because there are two "http://" at the start. Took the liberty of copying the link again, here:
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/post-your-photos/1655-i-promised-some-sho...-1-2-lens.html

NaCl(hope you don't mind, I enjoy my 50 1.2 also)H2O

03-10-2007, 11:51 PM   #20

QuoteOriginally posted by NaClH2O Quote
Hi Chris, your link is not working, probably because there are two "http://" at the start. Took the liberty of copying the link again, here:
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/post-your-photos/1655-i-promised-some-sho...-1-2-lens.html

NaCl(hope you don't mind, I enjoy my 50 1.2 also)H2O

Salty - thanks! I should have checked the link.
03-11-2007, 12:04 AM   #21
Veteran Member

Randy,

Your thread caught my LBA, and I had to look. Please let me know how much that 135mm is going for.
03-11-2007, 04:32 AM   #22

Randy

I'm not sure if you got an answer on exposure. The "K" and "M" lenses don't communicate the aperture setting to the camera, so the camera needs a little help setting the exposure.

First set the menu settings to allow you to use the aperture ring on the lenses:

Menu - Custom Setting - (use front wheel to scroll to the 6th Custom Setting screen) - Using Aperture Ring - set to "Permitted".

Now, having done that, set the camera for manual focus (on the front, left side).

The "A" lenses (with an "A" setting on the lens aperture ring) do communicate the aperture setting to the camera. For an "A" lens you can use any of the automatic exposure modes. For example with the Exposure Mode set to "Av" or Aperture Priority mode and the lens aperture set to "A", the rear e-dial will vary the aperture and the camera will automatically set the shutter speed.

For "M" and "K" lenses, you need to set the Exposure Mode dial to "M" for Manual exposure control, then press the Green Button to cause the camera to stop-down the lens to the aperture selected on the lens ring and take an exposure reading to set the shutter speed. So - set the iso to something sensible, set the aperture on the lens aperture ring, focus, compose, press Green Button to set shutter speed, take the shot.

I get differing results with different lenses - some lenses meter really well this way and some don't. I just check the exposure on the histogram and adjust the shutter speed or aperture to suit, then keep shooting.

03-11-2007, 11:40 AM   #23
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thank you all for your responses....
looks like I am going to take a look at all the lenses
I think the 50mm 1.2 will be my first buy if they are not already gone

cheers

randy
01-10-2013, 01:04 AM   #24

This is an old post I have come across and I am just wondering with all the new technology on new lens if u fellas are still using your 50mm 1.2 lens ? Just purchased one from ebay and looking forward getting it
01-10-2013, 01:58 AM   #25

I have the K version and love it. Use the wide aperture mo for easy focussing than for actual shooting though.
Bought it with as a set of m50 and m100 macro and some other lenses for 400 euros....
01-10-2013, 05:22 AM   #26

PENTAX SMC M 50MM 1.2 CAMERA LENS PENTAX FIT + FILTER | eBay

£17 posted im happy
01-10-2013, 06:01 AM   #27
Forum Member

By the picture it seems to be the 1:2.0 version? A very good lens anyway. Congrats!
01-10-2013, 06:08 AM   #28

only thing makes me think its not 1:2 is have them lens not got 2 rows on the focus ring this one seems have 3 ?
01-10-2013, 06:12 AM   #29
Forum Member

I looked at the aperture ring. The numbers end at ..2.8, 2.
01-10-2013, 06:18 AM   #30

just went looked again 1:2 has 3 rows,, still fun play with an old lens