Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-25-2008, 09:45 PM   #1

Pouch or No Pouch?

Okay, here's to all the Limited users. When you pack your gear for an outing, do you pack you Limited lenses in their pouches first before putting them in your bag? I have been doing that but I find it rather cumbersome when comes to lens change. At the same time, I don't what to risk scratching the body of the lenses. What do you guys think?

11-25-2008, 10:02 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by leeak Quote
Okay, here's to all the Limited users. When you pack your gear for an outing, do you pack you Limited lenses in their pouches first before putting them in your bag? I have been doing that but I find it rather cumbersome when comes to lens change. At the same time, I don't what to risk scratching the body of the lenses. What do you guys think?
Pouch always, and then sometimes that's wrapped in a large washcloth or small towel. I like to prevent any 'bouncing' in the bag.
11-25-2008, 10:36 PM   #3
Pentaxian

No pouch. Of course, I don't pack my lenses in the bag like sardines, either - generally they each get a compartment of the (top-load) bag to themselves. The camera sits on top but not doesn't necessarily touch the lenses underneath. But I do drape a folded up handkerchief over each of the lenses at the bottom of the bag, so the lens isn't going to touch anything that isn't soft, but remains easily accessible. Occasionally I'll stack two lenses in one compartment, but if so, there is a handkerchief between them and on top.
11-26-2008, 08:21 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Funny you should ask this. I have not used my 31ltd pouch as I've felt it is better to keep the pouch in mint condition in the event that I sell it. However, that theory is going out the window as I truly cannot see myself ever selling this lens!
Answer: Pouch.

11-26-2008, 08:47 PM   #5
Veteran Member

wish I had a pouch for my 77
11-26-2008, 09:04 PM   #6
m8o
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I wish I had a pouch for every one of my lenses. I'm unhappily using zip locks.
11-26-2008, 09:08 PM   #7
Veteran Member

For those without pouches, maybe try a lens wrap. I've been using them for years with my large format lenses. They work great. Much quicker to unwrap that a tight pouch, plus they double as a soft work surface out in the field. Cheap too.
11-26-2008, 10:27 PM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Matt Miller Quote
For those without pouches, maybe try a lens wrap. I've been using them for years with my large format lenses. They work great. Much quicker to unwrap that a tight pouch, plus they double as a soft work surface out in the field. Cheap too.
Very cool. Thanks for the heads up as I haven't seen these before...

11-26-2008, 11:00 PM   #9
Veteran Member

I actually have small (but noticeable) scuff marks on my DA 35's focus ring from not using pouch and having it rub another piece of equipment...so, pouches always for me now.
11-26-2008, 11:20 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Pouch for me so far.

Is the Limited lens case available yet? The one where 3 DA limited lenses could fit.
11-26-2008, 11:26 PM   #11

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by gnaztee Quote
I actually have small (but noticeable) scuff marks on my DA 35's focus ring from not using pouch and having it rub another piece of equipment...so, pouches always for me now.
The little scuff marks are the most annoying and is exactly what I try to avoid, but unfortunately, those pouches are so darn hard to take lenses in and out of. I go out with the DA16-50 mounted and the FA77 in the bag. Changing lens is such a cumbersome feat. When not using the pouch, has anyone caused any "scuff marks" from the paddling in the camera bags alone?
11-27-2008, 12:03 AM   #12
Inactive Account

pouches for the 31, 43, 77, and 35 macro, and I keep them in pouches in my sling bag, as they are too small to occupy a partition of their own. The da zooms are large enough to snugly occupy their own partition, so I feel safe with them in that fashion. I actually bought a spare pouch for the Voigtlander 58, so it now has its own (sad it didn't come with one).

When I am out shooting, and know I am going to be swapping them, I'll take 2 or so out of their pouches and put them in a slot in the sling bag, a lot of the time my wife (aka lens changing assistant) is with me, so she'll deal with the pouches as she hands them to me. It would certainly help her out, however, if in addition to the FA31ltd pouch which is such labeled in gold, if the others were as well, although she's getting better with differentiating between the 43 and 77. Although I might pick up the brown pouch for the 43 (went with the silver edition I think)

In the pocket of my sing bag, I keep spare ziploc bags in case of inclement weather or sand.

QuoteOriginally posted by leeak Quote
The little scuff marks are the most annoying and is exactly what I try to avoid, but unfortunately, those pouches are so darn hard to take lenses in and out of. I go out with the DA16-50 mounted and the FA77 in the bag. Changing lens is such a cumbersome feat. When not using the pouch, has anyone caused any "scuff marks" from the paddling in the camera bags alone?
The padding in my camera bag (kata sling) is very well padded, and I never got any scuffing or wear from that alone, but the nature of the smaller lenses, lends themselves to that on their own, especially if I put the 77 back in on top of the 43 (they're small to tell if there's already something in there or not) also being small, they dont fit very securely in my partitions, so the roll around a lot, and there is the fear that one day they will simply roll or fly out of the bag when I sling it around and open it.

I lived on Queen Anne for about 11 years, so if I was back up in your area again, I'd definitely keep them pouched. In fact I'd probably get a Seattle Sling if I was still there
http://www.popphoto.com/photonews/5565/camera-armor-launches-the-seattle-sling.html

Last edited by augustmoon; 11-27-2008 at 12:20 AM.
11-27-2008, 12:38 AM   #13
Forum Member

No pouches, as all my bags are compartmentalized in such a way that there is a padded piece of foam at all sides of every lens and the fit is tight enough without any extra bulk added around the lenses. Should I ever pack them in together without such partitioning, I expect everything will be thrown in some sort of protective casing.
11-27-2008, 12:59 AM   #14
Pentaxian

For the last forty years I've been using old socks.
works fine for me. Plenty of padding, tight, compact and easy to get in and out.
And the price is right.

Sig 75-300mm zoom with original case and in sock

Last edited by wildman; 12-26-2008 at 01:00 PM.
11-27-2008, 02:41 AM   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by wildman Quote
For the last forty years I've been using old socks.
works fine for me. Plenty of padding, tight, compact and easy to get in and out.
And the price is right.

Sig 75-300mm zoom with original case and in sock
Excellent idea Wildman, if only I had thought of that a few weeks ago when I went through my sock draw and threw away the socks with holes. :-(

I use as robust lens cases as I can get. Half of my Takumars have rigid leather cases, and I also use compact camera cases as well. I don't mind the extra space being used up by the extra protection.

Richard