Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 10 Likes Search this Thread
06-11-2021, 11:07 PM   #1

DA 20-40 limited

Hey all,

I recently bought a DA 20-40 limited for my K3iii. I noticed when i focus to infinity at aperture 2.8 or 4 or largest aperture at any distance, i find the image is out of focus and blur unless i stop down at f5.6 and everything is sharp. Is it normal or my copy is bad ? Thanks

06-11-2021, 11:43 PM   #2
Closed Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
It doesn't sound normal, the 40 end can be a little soft wide open but not blurred. Presumably you've adjusted the af fine tuning for the lens?
06-12-2021, 12:52 AM   #3
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Have you tested it in live view with magnification?

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
06-12-2021, 02:15 AM   #4
Pentaxian

That is not normal behaviour. I think it is a bad copy and I would return it. Do you have problems with another lens on your K-3 III?

06-12-2021, 02:46 AM   #5
pid
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
shutter blur? Which times did you use?
06-12-2021, 02:54 AM   #6

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by 3by2 Quote
It doesn't sound normal, the 40 end can be a little soft wide open but not blurred. Presumably you've adjusted the af fine tuning for the lens?
yes, i did AF finetune the lens, it performs sharp witihin the focal distance. This morning i used to take sunrise photos and focus to infinity and i found the photo is soft and out of focus.

May be the light was bad this morning.

Thanks anyway

---------- Post added 06-12-2021 at 02:55 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Have you tested it in live view with magnification?
I didn't, i will try tomorrow. Thanks

---------- Post added 06-12-2021 at 02:59 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by AfterPentax Mark II Quote
That is not normal behaviour. I think it is a bad copy and I would return it. Do you have problems with another lens on your K-3 III?
I have not used my K-3 iii long enough to test other lenses.

I am in Australia and bought the lens from BHP. It is hard to return oversea. I may take to my local Pentax dealer CRK to deal with it.

Thanks.

I will do sunrise photography again tomorrow, will use LV for comparison
06-12-2021, 03:08 AM   #7
Pentaxian

AF can get out of alignment, it happened on my DA21 a couple times. Others reported the same. If you cannot focus to infinity in live view, the lens requires repair. It basically means that flange focal distance is off.

06-12-2021, 03:32 AM   #8

Original Poster
Don't know, thinking the lighting was dark and bad this morning this may due to the cause of infinity focusing problem. I will give it another go tomorrow.
06-12-2021, 03:55 AM   #9
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by kinkindoll Quote
yes, i did AF finetune the lens, it performs sharp witihin the focal distance. This morning i used to take sunrise photos and focus to infinity and i found the photo is soft and out of focus.
Then the case could be that the AF fine tuning went wrong somehow. I used this method "https://testcams.com/blog/2015/09/22/dottune-autofocus-fine-tuning-in-under-5-minutes/" and it went well. Also did you set the AF fine tuning to all lenses or just this particular lens? There is a chance that it is a camera problem and to know for sure you must try it out with another lens. And of course use LV to cover all possibilities where thing can go wrong.
06-12-2021, 04:19 AM - 1 Like   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Don't know, thinking the lighting was dark and bad this morning this may due to the cause of infinity focusing problem. I will give it another go tomorrow.
That would not make a difference, might just slow it down, but would not throw the focus off.
06-12-2021, 05:16 AM   #11
sbc
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Is that auto focus or manual focal at infinity?
06-12-2021, 05:22 AM   #12

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by sbc Quote
Is that auto focus or manual focal at infinity?
the focus is AF

---------- Post added 06-12-2021 at 05:23 AM ----------

Then the case could be that the AF fine tuning went wrong somehow. I used this method "https://testcams.com/blog/2015/09/22/dottune-autofocus-fine-tuning-in-under-5-minutes/" and it went well. Also did you set the AF fine tuning to all lenses or just this particular lens? There is a chance that it is a camera problem and to know for sure you must try it out with another lens. And of course use LV to cover all possibilities where thing can go wrong.
Thanks

---------- Post added 06-12-2021 at 05:29 AM ----------

I will post the update when i try it again tomorrow. It will be weird if nothing happened.
06-12-2021, 06:57 AM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Another vote here for Thomas Heaton's videos. I was in that area of the Lake District last year, although I didn't manage to capture the images that he does.
06-12-2021, 07:06 AM - 2 Likes   #14
Pentaxian

So strange that anyone could immediately leap to this conclusion. It may be defective but there's no way to know from a single post like this. I sometimes wonder about all the defective, inferior samples that have been returned over the years....how many were perfectly fine. I'll wager most of them
06-12-2021, 08:10 AM   #15
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Waffles Quote
So strange that anyone could immediately leap to this conclusion. It may be defective but there's no way to know from a single post like this. I sometimes wonder about all the defective, inferior samples that have been returned over the years....how many were perfectly fine. I'll wager most of them
This shows you the trust in the product as opposed to the trust you have in your abilities.