Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-27-2008, 07:10 AM   #16
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by pentaxpaul Quote
My only concern is that the Sigma is touted as a Macro? I am confused, I thought that was for up close shooting...
As Eric mentioned, it's not a true Macro Lens, just a close focus lens. This can be very advantagous for a "walk around lens". I frequently get comments from others about how nice my flower photos are. You need to get close in those and other "detail" shots. In the Sigma 17-70, Macro (close focus) is an advantage, not a hinderance.
Brian

11-28-2008, 01:11 PM   #17
Inactive Account

Original Poster
the final two are....

Well it honestly sounds like it is between the Pentax 16-45, the Sigma 17-70 and the Tamron 17-50 f2.8. Any final opinions before I run out and grab one of these? How do their build qualities compare? Low light? Night photography? which one will handle a little Seattle moisture better?

Last edited by pentaxpaul; 11-28-2008 at 01:27 PM.
11-28-2008, 03:34 PM   #18
Veteran Member

Well it honestly sounds like it is between the Pentax 16-45, the Sigma 17-70 and the Tamron 17-50 f2.8. Any final opinions before I run out and grab one of these? How do their build qualities compare? Low light? Night photography? which one will handle a little Seattle moisture better?
A tripod will do more than any of these lenses for night photography. If you can stop down the lens, you'll hardly be able to tell the difference between any of these and your kit lens.

That being said, build-wise, the 16-45 is perhaps just one step above the kit lens, but for me the image, even through the viewfinder seems just that much snappier & punchier than the kit glass. I think the 16-45 is a great cityscape & walkaround lens, better than most at wide angles. Its shortcomings are its somewhat limited reach--its 'long' end is really borderline for a lot of portrait-type use; I like having the 60-90mm range available for head & shoulders-type shots. I don't think you can beat it for wide-angle performance for < $500.

I also have the Sigma 24-60 f/2.8 EX, but don't use it much so far for a few reasons. Its reach is a little short, and its wide angle isn't all that wide--but it does feature a build quality that's probably better than any of the other lenses mentioned here. I also find it odd that its focus and zoom rings turn in the opposite direction to my Pentax optics--if it was my only lens it might not bother me but virtually EVERY other lens I own (and there are quite a few, mostly Pentax) work the other way.

I'm not real familiar with the Tamron on Pentax but it remains a popular choice on Nikon and Canon, and like the Sigma 24-60 is quite compact for a "pro-style" f/2.8 zoom.

I imagine that if you're going to consider the Sigma 17-70 you should probably also consider Pentax's new DA 17-70 f/4 SDM. The attraction for the 17-70 range is that it is a very good compromise of all-purpose range. I don't think you'll see it being better than the other lenses here in their respective focal-length ranges but it will be very, very close--and offer that extra telephoto range at a still-useful f/4.5 that the others all lack.
11-28-2008, 04:07 PM   #19
Veteran Member

I love the 16-45/4 for a walk-around lens. Whenever I am uncertain as to what I'll be doing, that thing gets stuck on the K20D.

12-01-2008, 12:21 PM   #20
Inactive Account

Original Poster
another consideration...

Okay, so I hate to mix it up further... but I just saw that Pentax makes a 17-70 as well, has anyone used this one? any comparisons to the sigma 17-70? should I save the extra dough and go for the Pentax?
12-02-2008, 07:37 AM   #21

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I actually had the same dilema before but went over with the DA 16-45mm F4.. My interest are LANDSCAPES and PORTRAITS that's why I chose it over the others.. But I do have the FA 50mm F1.4 for my lowlight and portraiture!

Another setup is to have the Tamron 28-75mm F2.8 and then use your kitlens for wide angle shots!

Hope this helps..
12-02-2008, 09:19 AM   #22
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
HI all! I am the proud owner of a K10D and its 18-55 kit lens. I recently bought a pentax 50mm f1.4 and couldn't be anymore pleased with it!
However, I would like to replace the 18-55 with a better lens and I don't have the money for the DA*. Can anyone point me in the right direction of a nice walking around lens? I would like a wide angle and I have been strongly considering the pentax 16-45 lens. It has some pretty amazing reviews and looks like you can get it for a good deal. Of course I am open to tamron and sigma... I just don't know enough about glass yet to make a good choice.
So I leave it up to you all!! Tell me what to buy!!!!
I think you need to look at this thread, and start plannin gwhere you are heading

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-slr-lens-discussion/42860-guidance...ng-outfit.html