Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 6 Likes Search this Thread
06-16-2021, 08:36 PM   #1

FA 35/2 on a manual focus camera: crazy?

Pretty much what the title says. I'm a big fan of 35/2 lenses in general, and I get the (possibly wrong) impression that the FA version is a better performer than the K or M models. Not to mention substantially cheaper. I know that the FA lenses will work fine on the manual focus bodies, but my question is: is it worth it? Am I wrong to assume that manual focus won't be particularly pleasant?

06-16-2021, 08:48 PM   #2
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by cptrios Quote
Pretty much what the title says. I'm a big fan of 35/2 lenses in general, and I get the (possibly wrong) impression that the FA version is a better performer than the K or M models. Not to mention substantially cheaper. I know that the FA lenses will work fine on the manual focus bodies, but my question is: is it worth it? Am I wrong to assume that manual focus won't be particularly pleasant?
no, not crazy, but possibly not very satisfying either....

I haven't found many AF lenses that are enjoyable as MF lenses - usually, there's very little feedback in the focus ring, the focus ring travel is too short, etc....
06-16-2021, 08:53 PM   #3
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I've got the FA35 and use it for manual focus on my Sony A7 - it's very good.

Manual focus and manual aperture were part of the normal photographic routine for decades, if you have a love of the hobby, you can do both very quickly, especially with focus confirmation in the OVF and focus peaking/magnified Live View on the rear display.
06-16-2021, 08:54 PM - 1 Like   #4
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by pepperberry farm Quote
I haven't found many AF lenses that are enjoyable as MF lenses - usually, there's very little feedback in the focus ring, the focus ring travel is too short, etc....
We need to get you onto the FA Limiteds, Pepperberry!

06-16-2021, 08:54 PM   #5
Pentaxian

I have used my HD FA35mm F2 on my P30T film body and I didn't find any problem with it. I liked manually focusing it much better than my FA 50mm F1.4 or F 50mm F.17, both of which I also use on my P30T. The focus ring is not as nice to turn as the older manual models, but I personally wouldn't call it bad. My version is the updated HD one though, so I don't know if they improved anything other than the look and the coating when the did the refresh.
06-16-2021, 09:00 PM   #6
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
I get the (possibly wrong) impression that the FA version is a better performer than the K or M models.
Same impression here. I prefer the rendering from FA 35.

However it's hard to beat the focus ring on the K and M.
I used to have FA35 classic and often do manual focus with it. It is not that bad, but it can not be compared with my K and M lenses. You actuary make me think about get the FA35 back.
06-16-2021, 10:53 PM - 1 Like   #7
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
We need to get you onto the FA Limiteds, Pepperberry!
you're right - they are definitely the exception...

(and I have both the 31 and the 77)

06-16-2021, 11:08 PM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

My fa 35 is only manual focus after it had an accident. It isn’t as buttery and simple to focus as a good k lens but it isn’t painful to use.
06-17-2021, 01:46 AM   #9
Pentaxian

It may well be that manual focusing may not be exactly as smooth as with a K or M lens. After all, this is a trickle, isn´t it?
If you like the lens this should not be a game stopper.
06-17-2021, 03:52 AM   #10
Pentaxian

I liked it and the lighter/smaller focus ring never bothered me. Although the plastic design may not look great on manual focus bodies, depending on taste.
06-17-2021, 03:53 AM - 1 Like   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by pepperberry farm Quote
no, not crazy, but possibly not very satisfying either....

My thoughts exactly, I find many AF lenses have the focus ring in an inconvenient place, largely because they still turn in AF mode, and the focus throw is quite short, making accurate focus more difficult.
06-17-2021, 04:51 AM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

The FA 35 mm f/2's Optical Performance is sure worth the trouble ...

@ f/8

@ f/8 @ f/5.6

Last edited by RICHARD L.; 06-17-2021 at 05:13 AM.
06-17-2021, 05:35 AM   #13
Pentaxian

Apart from the smoothness of the focus ring, there isn't any drawback that I know of. The newer lens will have better coatings and will perform just as well on amanual body than it would on an AF body.
06-17-2021, 08:25 AM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I've never been impressed with the manual focus operation of the F or FA series. At least compared to older lenses like the A or M ones. But it is doable you just have to realize you do not have the length of throw as on a true manual focus lens.
06-17-2021, 09:11 AM   #15

Original Poster
Thanks for the responses everyone! I think one of these is definitely on the list now. That is, if I don't decide to go for a K 30/2.8...