Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-29-2008, 07:44 AM   #16
Veteran Member

kinda off-topic, i was down by the NYC WTC and there was a used store selling a very nice flared vivitar 58mm metal hood if anyone in the area is looking for such things

11-29-2008, 10:02 AM   #17
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Hood hats

I use a bunch of hood hats on various lenses (I like to leave rigid hoods on everything, and sometimes that leaves one with an odd combination. They work pretty good, though they can be slow to attach: this isn't too big an issue for me, since I tend to just put the lenses I'm not using hood-down in my bag when not in use) Advantages: they work like bumpers in your bag if things get tight, and do a pretty good job of keeping dust out. They switch pretty freely between most of my lenses, too, usually they ignore any odd flower-shapes, and you don't have to worry about fussy hood-cap combinations. Don't rattle, and can make a handy place to put things like filters that you might want to take off briefly. Also, you can use them to brace camera on concrete without scratching. Make good beer holders.

Disadvantages: Aforementioned slowness to attach, and you gotta make sure you haven't gotten dust *inside* them, can end up inflating your pockets after a couple of lens changes.

I was unaware there's a 'micro' size, actually, the mini is a little too big for one application since I got this little one for my little Lumix bridge camera, mostly so the lens doesn't have to go naked on social occasions when I use the pop-up flash. I'll have to look for that.
12-08-2008, 12:07 AM   #18
Inactive Account

Original Poster
push on lens cap for Voigtlander 58 hood

OK, found something along the lines I was looking for..

plastic push on lens cap that fits on the Voigtlander 58 Hood

There's two at B&H, you want the 70mm size as the outer dimensions of the hood are approx 68.5 mm and they said to allow an extra 1 or 2 mm for fit

I have the generic Kaiser one, as the B&W was cheaper, and seemed nicer, it was a special order item.

B+W | #300 70mm Push-On Lens Cap | 65069709 | B&H Photo Video

Kaiser | 70mm Push-On Lens Cap | 206970 | B&H Photo Video