Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-27-2008, 12:29 AM   #1
Inactive Account

Voigtlander 58 users (who use the hood)

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

I got the metal hood for the Voigt 58, as some type of hood seems necessary outdoors. But then that eliminates being able to use the lens cap..

so is there a workaround other than unscrewing the hood to put the cap on. I'd prefer a slip on cap (like the FA31's, and yes I tried but the fa31 cap is the same size as the 58 hood (too small).

anybody ever use one of these?

Op/Tech USA | Hood Hat Micro | 8001442 | B&H Photo Video

11-27-2008, 01:13 AM   #2
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
Looks like a fair solution. Admittedly, if its sunny, I put the hood on and stand the lens on its hood in my pack, nekkid. If its not as sunny, I just use the cap and go without the hood.

The Zeiss solution is more graceful, the pinch caps fit inside the hoods and the hoods bayonet on either forwards or reversed for storage. I'd look for a good quality hood/pinch cap combo similar to this if I were more concerned. I bought a plastic one for another lens which works out OK, but for the Nokton, I'd want it to look the part

K.
11-27-2008, 01:15 AM   #3
Damn Brit

I use the hood and it's a bit of a nuisance yes but not really a problem to me so far, I tend to keep it in my hand ready so I don't want a cover.
If it's of interest to you I did find a solution and it was free.
Our local independent grocer has a small section selling English goods. I buy some English biscuits there that I like, they come in a tube like Pringles except the end has a metal cap instead of a plastic one. The cap fits snugly over the hood. I would imagine I could find someway of putting a thin coat of something over the inside of it so as not to scratch the hood (I don't know how scratch resistant it is).
Anyway, the brand of biscuits is Norfolk Manor, so if you know of a store that stocks English products, it'll cost you about $5 and the biscuits are made with butter and taste great. The cap is gold coloured so it does look a bit weird on the camera.
I think I remember someone found a pinch cap that fit in the rim of the hood.
11-27-2008, 01:47 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Someone here in the Philippines is selling these:

Perfect for the Nokton and you can still use the lens cap that came with it.

11-27-2008, 01:48 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Here's another photo:

11-27-2008, 02:21 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Voe in this forum bought me this metal lens hood as a gift. I am loving it!
11-27-2008, 02:41 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Another option is to try something like these:

They work pretty well, I'm still using these on my Limiteds and manual lenses ...

11-27-2008, 03:56 AM   #8

Hey, I just so happened to have a hood hat sitting along with my stuff. I use the smallest size which I believe is the micro on a CV 35mm rangefinder lens when hooded, and the next size up does fit the 58/1.4.
11-27-2008, 04:25 AM   #9
Inactive Account

I did not buy the $50 metal hood when I bought the lens. I opted for an $8 rubber hood from Henry's, and I am glad I did. The rubber hood can be compressed and then the lens cap snaps on and off easily. Removing the lens cap only takes a couple seconds and then the rubber hood can be popped out to its full extension. Works for me!

It's like the silly, but cute, screw on lens cap for the DA 40mm Limited. I put it away for safe keeping and bought two 30.5mm snap-on caps for $5. I was going mad unscrewing that dammed little cap every time I wanted to take a picture and this was a simple solution to save my sanity.
11-27-2008, 05:34 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Off topic: about the DA40 cap, I keep mine somewhere safe and use an old film canister cap (not the gray ones nowadays, the older ones) and it fits perfectly. Pop it on and pop it off.

Last edited by soccerjoe5; 11-27-2008 at 05:38 AM. Reason: resized photos
11-27-2008, 06:37 AM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by augustmoon Quote
I use this cap on my Nokton and it works wonderfully well. It looks like the same thing you link to.

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/284093-post254.html
11-27-2008, 09:13 AM   #12
jlp
Forum Member

A 67mm cap fits (like this one). That way you can leave the hood on permantly; see Frank's examples in post #7.

Hope that helps,

Jack
11-27-2008, 10:11 AM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jlp Quote
A 67mm cap fits (like this one). That way you can leave the hood on permantly; see Frank's examples in post #7.

Hope that helps,

Jack

I didn't know that. Just tried one and it's perfect. Thanks for the tip.
11-27-2008, 11:00 AM   #14
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Awesome! Thanks everyone!!!

QuoteOriginally posted by jlp Quote

Hope that helps,

Jack

Hey, you and Frank are right, my 67mm pinch on cap does fit! I think I might also pick up a couple sizes of the lens hoodie thing as I can see where that might come in handy when I'm near the beach.

I also have a collapsable rubber hood, but they don't fit back into my sling pack compartments when they are attached...
11-28-2008, 09:01 PM   #15

try this
GoShot Camera Rectangular 58mm lens hood + UV filter + cap for Digital Video DV Camcorder Canon GL1/GL2

BHPhoto also have Hama rectangular hood with cap. However, it only comes 49mm, 52mm, and 55mm.