Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 9 Likes Search this Thread
06-23-2021, 10:02 AM   #16
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Dale H. Cook Quote
That is what I am looking at as I am retired and have very little discretionary income.
I've had one but the reviews are solid and those that have it report it punches well above its weight. The other option would be the FA 35mm f/2. Available in either the original SMC version or the new HD version. A little faster and a little better made and also FF compatible. You might check around for one of those used. It might be possible to find one for not much more than the DA 35mm.

06-23-2021, 11:09 AM   #17

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
The other option would be the FA 35mm f/2.
You might check around for one of those used. It might be possible to find one for not much more than the DA 35mm.
That is a possibility, but with B&H selling the 35mm DA L f/2.4 AL new for $130 that is probably my best choice.
06-23-2021, 01:07 PM   #18
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
That is a possibility, but with B&H selling the 35mm DA L f/2.4 AL new for $130 that is probably my best choice.
It's a very nice lens on the K-70. I recently parted with mine because I had acquired the 20–40mm Ltd, but I highly recommend the DA L f/2.4 AL. Sometimes they pop up used at Adorama/B&H/KEH/MPB (as mine did…only to get bought by someone here at PF as best as I can tell!).
06-23-2021, 07:33 PM   #19
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

That is what I am looking at as I am retired and have very little discretionary income.

I think it likely that I will keep the MF 50mm and add a new digital Pentax 35mm. As a matter of fact I have room for both in my camera bag. When I thought about using the MF 50mm I realized that there was not enough room in the bag for it. Instead of buying a larger bag I added a new inexpensive secondary bag to hold seldom-used items, including a dozen colored filters that I use only for B&W photography, my custom-made L bracket, and the external power supply that I use for long-duration interval photography. I carry secondary bags only when going out on a junket where I know I will need one or more of those bags.

Just one more option. Look for a GOOD copy of a DA 16-45, 18-55 (many versions of this exist, get at least the series II or newer), or perhaps a SIgma 18-50. All of these should be quite good and cheap. The 35 is a good lens - but it gives you what is basically the same normal perspective with no wide angle. If you want more options adding a zoom might be a good move.

06-24-2021, 01:14 AM   #20
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
I've had one but the reviews are solid and those that have it report it punches well above its weight. The other option would be the FA 35mm f/2. Available in either the original SMC version or the new HD version. A little faster and a little better made and also FF compatible. You might check around for one of those used. It might be possible to find one for not much more than the DA 35mm.
I would stretch my budget to a used FA if I could. The DA is fine optically and no one normal is going to lose sleep over 1/2 a stop. However, my DA does not focus consistently accurately any more, and others have noticed the same problem with both the DA 35 and 50mm lenses (my DA 50mm has not mis-behaved yet though). I have even gone down the route of dialing in AF adjustments and the inconsistency remains. My HD FA is of much sounder build quality, as would be an older FA model. Used from Japan seem to be the value at present.
If the OP does not mind going fully MF and manual exposure, the K 35mm f3.5 or M 35mm f2.8 are the only options which have a similar price or less than the DA. If the budget is really tight, I would take the risk of getting the DA over these older models and hope that it is a sound copy that lasts over time, as my experience is probably an outlier.
06-24-2021, 09:14 AM   #21

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by richard0170 Quote
I would stretch my budget to a used FA if I could.
Thanks - I am coming to that opinion.