Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-24-2021, 09:00 PM   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Recommendations for a wide angle sports lens?

One of my favorite subjects is when I go to a local drag strip and work track side by the burnout box and starting line. You can get an idea of the area I'm dealing with in THIS POST. I primarily used my 15mm Limited (max f/4) and 35mm macro (max f/2.8), but did break out my 18-135mm WR for a few shots too. I'm starting to window shop for something more appropriate for the track and so far kind of leaning towards the Sigma 18-35mm f/1.8 DC HSM Art lens due to good reviews on sharpness when shooting wide open. I also considered the Pentax smc DA* 16-50mm f/2.8 ED AL (IF) SDM lens, but reviews say it isn't very sharp unless stopped down. Because I shoot from afternoon until night, having a small zoom with a constant wide aperture is pretty much required in my shooting position. What has me flipping back and forth between those two is do I go for the extra sharpness of the Sigma, or the longer focal range of the Pentax at the expense of poor low light performance? I need a good wide angle ability, and having a bit more than 35mm on my K3 II would be handy. I know I can shoot at 35mm and crop in, but doing that on my current lens still loses a fair bit of quality if I need a tight crop.

I wouldn't be surprised if there are other options out there, so feel free to fire away any other suggestions, or opinions on those two. If these two had a baby and there's a lens out there that has the range of the Pentax but the sharpness of the Sigma, I'd love to know. I've never shopped for a lens before because I've only bought kits so far, so this is all new to me.

06-24-2021, 09:26 PM   #2
Pentaxian

The DA* 16-50 will see an update soon, maybe soon enough for you,
06-24-2021, 09:37 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
perhaps DA* 11-18mm , superb engineering
06-24-2021, 09:38 PM - 2 Likes   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Check the Tamron 17-50 f2.8 I'm very happy with mine.

06-24-2021, 09:41 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by zapp Quote
The DA* 16-50 will see an update soon, maybe soon enough for you,
Do tell. Got a link or something about what's expected?
06-24-2021, 09:52 PM - 1 Like   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Mooncatt Quote
Do tell. Got a link or something about what's expected?
Ricoh officially announced the development of a new HD PENTAX-DA?16-50mm f/2.8 ED PLM AW lens - Pentax Rumors
HD Pentax DA * 16-50mm F2.8ED PLM AW is the second one. - PentaxForums.com
06-24-2021, 10:22 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Yes, the new DA*16-50 PLM would be the ticket. It should be sharp wide open, WR, fast focusing and will probably do AF-C in video if you're into that.

You'll have to to wait a few months and spend $1000-$1300 to get it though.

06-25-2021, 12:36 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I know I can shoot at 35mm and crop in, but doing that on my current lens still loses a fair bit of quality if I need a tight crop.
I have to admit that sentence threw me a little, are you in need of a ultra wide angle or a normal lens (or a combination thereof -> zoom)?

Another aspect to consider, the Sigma 18-35mm lens, beside having stellar IQ, does seem to have some issues with AF reliability.
06-25-2021, 01:17 AM   #9
Forum Member

I'm waiting for the new 16-50 lens definitely, maybe the 11-18 would be good for you
06-25-2021, 03:15 AM   #10
dlhawes

@Red5isAlive does motorsports, and, in a review, says the 50-135 is too slow, but notes in his profile that the Sigma 17-50mm f2.8 is one of his "go-to" lenses. You're not specific in identifying the parameters of your subject matter that you want to optimize, though. I'm thinking the biggest problem you'd want to solve is how to photograph very fast moving objects in relatively low light. Looks to me like the f/2.8 Sigma would be good for that. No idea about how quickly it can find and lock focus, though, and there are no reviews for it in PF that I could find. DxOMark reports too much distortion at the wide end. I'm thinking, if it were me, I'd be looking seriously at the Tamron AF016P-700 SP AF17-50mm F/2.8 Di II LD Aspherical (IF) (Model A16P), currently selling for about $160.
06-25-2021, 03:56 AM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by othar Quote
I have to admit that sentence threw me a little, are you in need of a ultra wide angle or a normal lens (or a combination thereof -> zoom)?
Ideally I'd want a wide angle to normal zoom. Not sure what constitutes "ultra-wide," but my current 15mm and 35mm primes are about ideal depending on if I'm shooting a burnout right next to me or getting starting line action. The 18-135mm is giving me front/back focusing issues, and my 100mm prime is too long to be usable for my location. The action is also quick, so no time for lens changes, nor do I have a second camera to dual carry.

Because I'm not an official track photographer, I'm pretty limited on where I can stand so I'm not interfering with theirs. The reason a 50mm focal length would be good is for when I need to reposition to shoot around something like a barrier, to avoid unwanted extra stuff in the frame, or when the jets come up and I have to step back because of the afterburner thrust and heat.
06-25-2021, 03:59 AM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Eyejason Quote
I'm waiting for the new 16-50 lens definitely, maybe the 11-18 would be good for you
Thanks, but that would be too wide to adequately catch the starting line action from my location. I am planning to look into that 16-50mm update when I get more time later. I know the 55-300mm PLM is getting a lot of love, so hopefully the 16-50mm PLM turns out great as well.
06-25-2021, 04:20 AM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Not sure what constitutes "ultra-wide," but my current 15mm and 35mm primes are about ideal depending on if I'm shooting a burnout right next to me or getting starting line action.
With APS-C sensors lenses with a focal lenght of 16mm or wider are considered UWA lenses (on FF 24mm or wider), it is connected to the sensor size (when the focal length is shorter than the height of the sensor it is considered a UWA lens, when the the focal lenght is shorter than the width of the sensor it is a wide angle lens)
06-25-2021, 06:10 AM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Useable digital Pentax bodies(older models) are not expensive- less than the cost of many lenses.

Sounds to me like you can't do it all with one body/lens combo; so why not pick up another ? Perhaps even with a lens that would be useful?

15mm is ultra wide, 35mm is closer to "normal" on an aps-c.

On lens "speed", f2.8 is twice as fast as f4.0 - sure; but increasing iso from 400 to 800 gives the same result. Don't be afraid to use your iso choices. JMHO.
06-25-2021, 06:51 AM   #15
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by DonV Quote
Useable digital Pentax bodies(older models) are not expensive- less than the cost of many lenses.
True, and one of the track photographers dual carries. On the other hand, it means also carrying around more batteries, having the unused camera/lens swinging around and being hit, extra SD cards, and more prep prior to going, and limited special purpose use (a good lens would be more versatile.

QuoteQuote:
On lens "speed", f2.8 is twice as fast as f4.0 - sure; but increasing iso from 400 to 800 gives the same result. Don't be afraid to use your iso choices. JMHO.
I'm already ISO limited with the night shots. Even at f2.8, I was running ISO 1600 for fast enough shutter to get anything decent. I can get away with 3200, but image quality noticeably suffers on my existing camera.