Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-27-2008, 11:11 AM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
FA 50 1.4 on a manual focus camera?

I'm seriously considering replacing my A 50/2 with an FA 50/1.4. The gains are obvious -- the ability to autofocus and it's faster.

But I shoot with both autofocus and manual cameras. How does the FA 50 perform on a manual focus body? Is the focus throw short? Is the focus ring touchy, or dampened enough?

I'm looking for input from anyone who shoots their FA 50 on a manual focus body.

11-27-2008, 11:34 AM   #2
Syb
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I shoot my FA50 regularly on my DSLR in the MF setting. Am I in the position to answer? I like focusing manually better with the A-, K- and the M-lenses ( it is a bit more damped than with the FA's. But compared to other brands, the Pentax does a very good deal. And you won't be bothered by creeping focus, since the weight of the lens is not enough for that.

So it works well, and if you are considering an upgrade to AF one day, buying the AF may just be the right option!

You'll find a lot of people really happy with their FA50s on this forum. Good luck!
11-27-2008, 12:04 PM   #3
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Photos: Gallery
Just to muddy the water, there are other fast manual 50s out there, 50mm f1:1.2, 50mm f1:1.4 and 50mm f1.1.7 (all available as A series). There are also faster Ms about, on that well known auction site as well.

They all feel great, just like your 50mm F1:2.0, in fact the 50mm f1:1.2 feels better due to more metal content in its construction, just a thought.
11-27-2008, 12:29 PM   #4
Ole
Administrator

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by filmamigo Quote
I'm seriously considering replacing my A 50/2 with an FA 50/1.4. The gains are obvious -- the ability to autofocus and it's faster.

But I shoot with both autofocus and manual cameras. How does the FA 50 perform on a manual focus body? Is the focus throw short? Is the focus ring touchy, or dampened enough?

I'm looking for input from anyone who shoots their FA 50 on a manual focus body.
The throw is shorter than a manual lens. The dampening is sufficient for manual focus. The dampening doesn't have the nice "feel" to it as a manual lens of course, but it is definitely useable as a manual focus lens.