Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-29-2021, 04:04 PM   #31
Veteran Member

If you get the fa20 and you don't like it you should be able to sell it for the same price

06-29-2021, 05:18 PM   #32
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by BarryE Quote
Never bothered to look at the Sony/Nikon reviews of the Irix, to be honest. You're right, we may live in a bubble dictated by what we have available I do rather fall in the camp that most lenses nowadays are good to very good and it's the person behind the camera that needs to up their game to get the best from them. (That excludes the DFA 24-70, which is all over the place with it's performance)

Rent a 15-30 and see what specific FL feels right on the K-1?
Since one of the things they compared it unfavorably with in some reviews was the Samyang MF 14mm f2.8 that got my attention on many levels. But even with identical optics there may be enough variation in samples that one persons not so great is another persons favorite lens. Also the comparison was in the context of wide open shooting for astro - so stopped down there may be little to complain about.
06-29-2021, 10:23 PM   #33
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I like using my tamron 10-24 at the 15mm setting. If you zoom it you won't know when the vigneting starts.
06-29-2021, 11:10 PM   #34
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
Wow, thanks for all the replies.

What I liked in the DA 15 ltd was it's build, compactness and center IQ. So, I guess the upcoming DFA 21mm ltd should make a closest match. That could take a long time. I think I decided, and to pass the time, I'm probably going to order a used FA 20mm.

06-29-2021, 11:29 PM   #35
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Clavius Quote
Wow, thanks for all the replies.

What I liked in the DA 15 ltd was it's build, compactness and center IQ. So, I guess the upcoming DFA 21mm ltd should make a closest match. That could take a long time. I think I decided, and to pass the time, I'm probably going to order a used FA 20mm.
If you can get a FA20mm for a fair price, go for it! It's good, AF and fairly small and lightweight. I had it and had to ditch it when no spare parts were available (according to the repairman). Still miss it, having my radar up for a new (used) one. Or the D-FA 21mm if that one comes down from the clouds.
Now I have the Irix lenses 11mm and 15mm. Both are huuuge and heaaaavyyy, but leaves nothing to wish for when it comes to IQ. But they are wide, very wide and thus can only be used for special shots.

Kjell
06-30-2021, 12:04 AM   #36
Forum Member

For me the 21mm prime that is in the pipeline sounds great
06-30-2021, 01:05 AM   #37
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by bilybianca Quote
Now I have the Irix lenses 11mm and 15mm. Both are huuuge and heaaaavyyy, but leaves nothing to wish for when it comes to IQ. But they are wide, very wide and thus can only be used for special shots.

Kjell
I'm still on the fence. Something in me really wants the Irix 11mm. I love photography. But I also have high functioning autism. Such beautiful and extreme engineering really does a trick on me. Those Irix lenses look like real gems. I'm not sure if I want one for what it can do, or for how pretty it is.

Oh well, I'm sure the 21mm ltd is going to be both pretty, built like a tank and have all the IQ we wish. Therefore I'll get the 20mm while I wait for the new ltd. Not a fair/good comparison, but still: How would you rank IQ FA20mm vs Irix?

Last edited by Clavius; 06-30-2021 at 01:35 AM.
07-08-2021, 07:57 AM   #38
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
Why not the Samyang \Rokinon 20/1.8 if you liked the 15mm on APS-C?

Samyang 20mm F1.8 ED AS UMC Lens Reviews - Samyang Lenses - Pentax Lens Review Database
I throw my support behind the Samyang/Rokinon 20. I have had some good success with it.