Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
06-30-2021, 01:12 PM - 1 Like   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Zeiss Tessar Vorwahlspringblende

Some people will probably already know this, also, the below may not be the same on every copy, but i am assuming it is.

I was using this old (1958) silver Tessar on my S1a and I discovered something

The Tessar has an aperture pin but no A/M switch. To set the aperture you push the ring back against the spring, turn it to the chosen aperture then release it. To open the aperture for focusing you turn the same ring as you would with a preset. Where this differs is that turning the ring locks the aperture open until the pin is depressed by the camera body, at which point it stops down.

This is great to use with an S1a but presumably a film camera with in built metering would require you to meter before fine focusing.

As for using it with a DSLR, you need an M42 adapter with an internal flange, otherwise you run the risk of being stuck wide open.

06-30-2021, 02:12 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Cerebum Quote
Some people will probably already know this, also, the below may not be the same on every copy, but i am assuming it is.

I was using this old (1958) silver Tessar on my S1a and I discovered something

The Tessar has an aperture pin but no A/M switch. To set the aperture you push the ring back against the spring, turn it to the chosen aperture then release it. To open the aperture for focusing you turn the same ring as you would with a preset. Where this differs is that turning the ring locks the aperture open until the pin is depressed by the camera body, at which point it stops down.

This is great to use with an S1a but presumably a film camera with in built metering would require you to meter before fine focusing.

As for using it with a DSLR, you need an M42 adapter with an internal flange, otherwise you run the risk of being stuck wide open.
I have a 135mm lens with a similar aperture mechanism (I don't have it with me and can't remember the name at the moment). It has a threaded hole on the barrel next to the mount, I guess the lens can be stopped down with an old cable release when used with an adapter without internal flange
06-30-2021, 03:11 PM   #3
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Cerebum Quote
What you described is sometimes called "semi-auto" aperture actuation and is similar to the mechanism used with Asahi Auto-Takumar lenses having the cocking lever. With a camera such as the Spotmatic, it is important to meter before cocking the lens. When adapted to K-mount or non-Pentax cameras, take care to operate as a full manual aperture lens (don't cock the lens).

Steve

Last edited by stevebrot; 06-30-2021 at 03:16 PM.
06-30-2021, 03:48 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
What you described is sometimes called "semi-auto" aperture actuation and is similar to the mechanism used with Asahi Auto-Takumar lenses having the cocking lever. With a camera such as the Spotmatic, it is important to meter before cocking the lens. When adapted to K-mount or non-Pentax cameras, take care to operate as a full manual aperture lens (don't cock the lens).

Steve
I have an adapter, I think it’s a Kipon, with an internal flange, just for this lens. It was hard to find and is a very tight fit. I had to take a hair off the circumference so it would fit. It works though, and thankfully doesn’t jam. Using it means the tessar works like a preset it is a lovely lens

In truth, I just wanted to get “vorwahlsprungblende” into the thread list

Last edited by Cerebum; 06-30-2021 at 03:56 PM.