Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-28-2008, 02:00 AM   #1
Inactive Account

Aussie Alert - Pentax Lens Prices Jump

I was just on the Digital Camera Warehouse site - Pentax SLR Lenses stocked at Digital Camera Warehouse

the DA 35 f2.8 Macro lens I was contemplating buying along with a K200D and kit lens has just jumped in price from $AU 669 to $AU 804

Looks like most of the other lenses are up too. No change - yet - in the prices for the bodies.

That'll teach me to procrastinate

11-28-2008, 02:31 AM   #2
Veteran Member

I brought the DA35 from Prodigital2000 off ebay.ca & ebay.com for just under AUD$500 including shipping about 3-4 weeks ago. Comes with international warranty. Very happy with the lens and the service.

Body prices will increase once retailers have sold out of old stock.

I was going to buy some lenses in Aus (do my bit for our economy), but with these current increases I'm back to buying from overseas, mainly Canada, as our $ goes further.
11-28-2008, 03:04 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
The DA18-250 also double in price from around A$6XX to i think A$1XXX, if i am not mistaken.
11-28-2008, 04:23 AM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by raider Quote
The DA18-250 also double in price from around A$6XX to i think A$1XXX, if i am not mistaken.
You are not mistaken.

11-28-2008, 05:28 AM   #5
Veteran Member

The ProDigital experience sounds interesting - have many of you dealt with them? Do they sell in Canadian or US dollars? The AUD/CAN exchange is a lot better than the AUD/US rate!
11-28-2008, 06:09 AM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by dazman Quote
You are not mistaken.
Hmm...this is almost the same price as a 70-200/f2.8.
11-28-2008, 06:25 AM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by MoiVous Quote
The ProDigital experience sounds interesting - have many of you dealt with them? Do they sell in Canadian or US dollars? The AUD/CAN exchange is a lot better than the AUD/US rate!
They deal/list stock in CAD$, US$ and GBP. I offered on CAD$. The shipping costs are high at CAD$70, but I still saved over AUD$200 on the DA35...and that's before the price increases we've just seen. Now you would save $300+. PD2000 have a buy now price or a make an offer option...make an offer and don't be shy about it.

Checkout this thread on PD2000. https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/general-talk/40426-whats-up-prodigital2000-these-days.html

PD2000 maybe the best option for saving cash at present.

11-28-2008, 06:27 AM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by raider Quote
Hmm...this is almost the same price as a 70-200/f2.8.
If only it was the same quality
11-28-2008, 04:42 PM   #9
Veteran Member

The DA* 300 has gone up to $4400 NZD here.

Less tax, that is this about $2100 USD.

My plans -> out the window.
11-28-2008, 08:42 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Pentax importer gives Aussies a raw deal

CR Kennedy seems to treat us as fools.
They offer us lenses at 20-50% higher prices than overseas and only provide a substandard warranty. Have a look at the fine print on the one year warranty card. There are some lens specific clauses that make my hair stand on end.
When the Australian Dollar was at record highs back in July/August, CR Kennedy supplied Pentax lens prices did not drop. Other brands did.
Now the dollar slides and they waste no time in lifting the prices.

That said, buying from overseas could have its own problems. What if you had quality issues with the lens (DA*16-50 comes to mind). The postage could really add up not to mention GST hassles.

The Tamron version of the 18-250 is still under $600.

Last edited by Matthew; 11-28-2008 at 08:51 PM.
11-28-2008, 09:04 PM   #11

QuoteOriginally posted by Matthew Quote
They offer us lenses at 20-50% higher prices than overseas and only provide a substandard warranty. Have a look at the fine print on the one year warranty card. There are some lens specific clauses that make my hair stand on end.
When the Australian Dollar was at record highs back in July/August, CR Kennedy supplied Pentax lens prices did not drop. Other brands did.
There's not much I can add to that, I am in total 100% agreement with you there mate. Complete bollocks indeed.

For anyone wanting to make a last minute purchase, it appears that Camera Action have not yet adjusted their price list. Only a matter of time though I imagine...
11-29-2008, 12:04 AM   #12

Went to Gerry Gibbs Camera House today, and the Sigma 70-200 II HSM has increase from $999 to $1350!

I just bought some stuff from Camera Action, just to avoid some price rise.
11-29-2008, 12:20 AM   #13
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Matthew Quote
Yep, I certainly couldn't improve upon that rant and I agree with every word of it. Sadly the problem is not confined to CR Kennedy. There are Aussie distributors in many fields who still think that the internet is a pipedream, overseas prices are irrelevant and Aussies will pay any price they decide to ask.

The one bright spot in all that is that these troglodytes are in for a very rude awakening indeed now that Aussies are putting away their overdrafts and looking for deals.
11-29-2008, 02:13 AM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by heropsycho Quote
There's not much I can add to that, I am in total 100% agreement with you there mate. Complete bollocks indeed.

For anyone wanting to make a last minute purchase, it appears that Camera Action have not yet adjusted their price list. Only a matter of time though I imagine...
They haven't changed their pricing on the website yet, but the new prices have taken effect. Called about 6 stores throughout OZ today to see if I could get any lenses at old prices...nope...all have increased prices, even on stock they had before the price rises. That really annoys me, as some retailers stocked up before the increases.
11-29-2008, 02:23 AM   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mcjm78 Quote
Went to Gerry Gibbs Camera House today, and the Sigma 70-200 II HSM has increase from $999 to $1350!

I just bought some stuff from Camera Action, just to avoid some price rise.
I'm interested to hear if you get the items at the listed prices. Keep us updated.
I was quoted new prices from Camera Action Melbourne.