Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-28-2008, 08:33 PM   #16
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by pingflood Quote
figmental1978: INCREDIBLE shots. The toning on them is subtle but really adds something.

Do you use a standard focusing screen or did you replace it?
Thanks for the very kind comment pingflood. It's just the standard screen but I have been meaning to get the LL-60 for some time.

11-28-2008, 08:58 PM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I think you just wanted to show off that really cool shot

I get some similar effects going on when shooting into the light, especially when it's coming through / bouncing off leaves.
Attached Images

11-28-2008, 10:23 PM   #18
Veteran Member

Wow, great shots everyone. That EGB isn't bad at all. Quite neat really. The Jupiter 9 seems to be a winner.
11-29-2008, 02:02 AM   #19
Veteran Member

As Voe has suggested, this lens is as sharp as Fa 77 ltd at the same aperture. Bokeh are similar to each other as well.

however, this lens does have harsh double edge issue in the background bokeh much more than Fa 77 ltd. We both aggreed on this as Voe did an extensive testing that he posted here and in DPR.

11-29-2008, 07:38 AM   #20
Veteran Member

the Jupiter 9 is a copy of the Zeiss 85mm F2 Sonnar
the Sonnar designs usually have good bokeh but under certain conditions can bring up hard ring bokeh
11-29-2008, 12:43 PM   #21
Igilligan

Thanks to all... for tips and pics

I just spent two hours attempting to duplicate the Exploding Gumball Bokeh. And could not... I got a few that had some some hint at the possibilities,
but nothing like the big bang... The 'Lawrence Welk on Acid' effect must take some magical timing and conditions to have the entire OOF area explode
into balls o' color.

K100 - I am keeping the Exploding Gumball Bokeh (EGB) as the name for this 'look'. Hard Ring Bokeh is sounds less exciting and more problematic

Farfisa... I did want to show it off, but it did scare me a little, I would not want to deal with that look all the time, especially when figmental is getting
the Melting Dripping Bokeh from his.

And speaking of that.... Figmental, I curse you for that last shot you posted. I have spent countless hours attempting to
get the "Trippy" Jsherman999 look from my lenses. He mixes lighting/magic Fstop/backgound elements to get his 'look'...
and I have come close a few times. But I have no idea how to even start to get the MDB you got on that last shot...
Now I will be a spending a frustrating winter/spring attempting it...

To Steve and Jay, and anyone I missed, thanks for the help...
11-29-2008, 02:28 PM   #22
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by farfisa Quote
I think you just wanted to show off that really cool shot

I get some similar effects going on when shooting into the light, especially when it's coming through / bouncing off leaves.
Exploding BB's (EBB)!!!

Steve
11-29-2008, 05:05 PM   #23
Veteran Member

hey gus, thanks for the curse...I appreciate it

To get that look I think it's all about f/2 and the direction/flow of the background.

11-30-2008, 02:32 AM   #24
Inactive Account

Hi Gus. I've been researching a lot regarding background rendering and bokeh in my quest for different brushes to paint the world (of bokeh) with. I ran into the term 'spherical aberration' and initially assumed it was responsible for 'swirly' bokeh, but was only partly right in assuming so. It turns out, another symptom of spherical aberration is hard ringed bokeh. Its is more often found wide open on older, simpler, large aperture lens designs or on mirror lenses whereas more complex optical formuals have evolved which have corrected for this 'problem'. My personal experience with the simple, three element Meyer-Gorlitz Trioplan lens show it be an excellent 'donut bokeh' maker.

Here's a quote from Guy Parsons describing the effect -

QuoteQuote:
"Spherical aberration is when the rays of light from the middle and from the outside edges of a lens do not focus to exactly the same point. A major reason is that lenses are cheapest to make in a spherical form and that, unfortunately, is not the ideal shape for a lens. One way to combat this is to use multiple elements with different refractive indexes that tend to overcorrect the undercorrected elements, with luck the end result is good. Future advances in aspherical lens technology may start to make the situation better. Another way is to use only small apertures with that lens, the edge of a lens yields the worst result. The best images are produced around f/8. Larger apertures have the aberration, smaller ones have another problem, diffraction effect from the diaphragm itself "
And a sample from my walk home with the Trioplan a week ago -

And fwiw, I love your pic in question - awesome shot! Its exactly the sort of thing I try to find lenses for these days.

K.
11-30-2008, 05:12 AM   #25
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Very nice examples Gus I like it, there was a good thread a while back on bokeh carpents started, too bad alot of pics are mising. here's the link if it works: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-slr-lens-discussion/17970-bokeh-sp...ng-result.html
11-30-2008, 07:28 AM   #26
Veteran Member

Some stunning shots by all.
11-30-2008, 02:55 PM   #27
Igilligan

QuoteOriginally posted by thePiRaTE!! Quote
Hi Gus. I've been researching a lot regarding background rendering and bokeh in my quest for different brushes to paint the world (of bokeh) with. I ran into the term 'spherical aberration' and initially assumed it was responsible for 'swirly' bokeh, but was only partly right in assuming so. It turns out, another symptom of spherical aberration is hard ringed bokeh. Its is more often found wide open on older, simpler, large aperture lens designs or on mirror lenses whereas more complex optical formuals have evolved which have corrected for this 'problem'. My personal experience with the simple, three element Meyer-Gorlitz Trioplan lens show it be an excellent 'donut bokeh' maker.

And a sample from my walk home with the Trioplan a week ago -

And fwiw, I love your pic in question - awesome shot! Its exactly the sort of thing I try to find lenses for these days.

K.
Thank you so much PiRaTE K...
I finally 'get' what the others were trying to explain. And it completely makes sense now, I may have got that look with the lens opened up. My brain is hurting a little less after reading your answer.
Love that shot from the Trioplan lens. I know nothing about that lens so I will do a some googling to see what I can learn.

QuoteOriginally posted by borno Quote
Very nice examples Gus I like it, there was a good thread a while back on bokeh carpents started, too bad alot of pics are mising. here's the link if it works: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-slr-lens-discussion/17970-bokeh-sp...ng-result.html
thanks borno, that thread is a great read. There are so many good contributers to this forum and so much to learn...
I appreciate the link. I would have never found it without you.

QuoteOriginally posted by vievetrick Quote
Some stunning shots by all.
I agree, thanks to all that posted pics...
12-01-2008, 02:23 AM   #28
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Igilligan Quote
Look at this Helios shot... in funky bathroom lighting... almost DA 40ish
Great shot! If looks could kill...
She reminds me of Jennifer Jason Leigh in "Single White Female".

The other shots are also very nice, and its not just the lens...