Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-07-2021, 09:15 PM   #1
Pentaxian

SMC PENTAX-DA 1:4-5.8 55-300mm ED often confused with the DA L lens on auction site

It appears that the DA and DA L version of this lens is frequently confused for each other on the auction site.

Of course, the DA version has the metal mount and the DA L has a plastic mount.

Question(s) to the community:

1) is the metal mount about the only difference between these 2 lens?

2) Obviously, the DA L version, when properly listed, sells for less. So, what does the community here think the DA version is worth (if listing it) ?

Thanks in advance and

Regards,

Michael

07-07-2021, 09:34 PM - 1 Like   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Michael Piziak Quote
You also lose quick shift and the supplied hood with the DA L version. Note that there also exists a WR version of the DA lens, so that one will be even more expensive.

The sold section of the marketplace is a great reference for pricing:

Sold Items - PentaxForums.com

OTOH I'd say around $100 for the DA L, $150 for the DA non-WR, $200 for the DA WR, and $300 for the DA WR PLM (an entirely different lens, optically).

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

07-07-2021, 09:44 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
You also lose quick shift and the supplied hood with the DA L version. Note that there also exists a WR version of the DA lens, so that one will be even more expensive.

The sold section of the marketplace is a great reference for pricing:

Sold Items - PentaxForums.com

OTOH I'd say around $100 for the DA L, $150 for the DA non-WR, $200 for the DA WR, and $300 for the DA WR PLM (an entirely different lens, optically).

ok, so the DA version has quick shift and the DA L does not have quick shift

I will have to look up what quick shift is.... also, I will use the market place here to check around at pricing...

Also, much much thanks for your prompt and courteous reply!

Regards,

Michael
07-07-2021, 09:44 PM - 2 Likes   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

There are 4 different versions

1/ DA L , silver/grey band , plastic mount , no hood , no quick shift , no soft case
2/ DA , green band , metal mount , hood included , quick shift ( I love it! ) , soft case included
3/ HD DA WR , red band , metal mount , hood included , quick shift ( I love it! ) , soft case included

all three above listed lenses have identical optical formula / design

4/ HD DA PLM WR RE , green band , metal mount , hood included , quick shift ( I love it! ) , NO ( ?) soft case , KAF4 mount needed ( K-50 or newer )

---------- Post added 07-08-21 at 12:52 ----------

ok, so the DA version has quick shift and the DA L does not have quick shift

I will have to look up what quick shift is....
What is Quick Shift Focus System? - PentaxForums.com

---------- Post added 07-08-21 at 12:55 ----------

Quick shift ( better than focus limiter ) - very useful for BIF photos

07-07-2021, 10:54 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by i_trax Quote
1/ DA L , silver/grey band , plastic mount , no hood , no quick shift , no soft case
2/ DA , green band , metal mount , hood included , quick shift ( I love it! ) , soft case included
3/ HD DA WR , red band , metal mount , hood included , quick shift ( I love it! ) , soft case included

all three above listed lenses have identical optical formula / design

4/ HD DA PLM WR RE , green band , metal mount , hood included , quick shift ( I love it! ) , NO ( ?) soft case , KAF4 mount needed ( K-50 or newer )

---------- Post added 07-08-21 at 12:52 ----------

What is Quick Shift Focus System? - PentaxForums.com

---------- Post added 07-08-21 at 12:55 ----------

Quick shift ( better than focus limiter ) - very useful for BIF photos

Thanks so much for your much easy to understand answers and explanations!

I found the reading link about "quick shift" very informative also!

Regards,

Michael
07-07-2021, 11:50 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

you are welcome Michael,

just to be pedantic:
1/ + 2/ have SMC coating
3/ + 4/ have HD coating

practically , in most situations not much difference between them
07-08-2021, 02:35 AM   #7
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
HD DA 55-300 PLM is also retractable (RE) so it is a lot smaller when not in use. More like DA 18-55 kit lenses in size.
It also has built in AF motor, with really fast and quiet AF. The other versions have screw-drive AF.

I was lucky and found one of these used for $175 at a local Swedish retailer including 6 months warranty.

07-08-2021, 06:55 AM   #8
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

It appears that the DA and DA L version of this lens is frequently confused for each other on the auction site.

Of course, the DA version has the metal mount and the DA L has a plastic mount.

Question(s) to the community:

2) Obviously, the DA L version, when properly listed, sells for less. So, what does the community here think the DA version is worth (if listing it) ?

Thanks in advance and

Regards,

Michael
I have found these charts to be very helpful

Pentax K-Mount Lenses Explained: The differences between various Pentax lens series

The Pentax K-mount Camera Lens Compatibility Chart
07-08-2021, 07:03 AM   #9
JPT
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
When I bought my used DAL 55-300, I was able to test against a few copies of the SMC DA version. I was planning to buy the DA, but when I saw how sharp the DAL copy they has was, I decided to get that. My personal opinion is that it makes sense to go to one extreme or the other. If you have the money get the new PLM version. If you don't, the DAL is just as good as the others and is really cheap.
07-08-2021, 07:08 AM   #10
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by JPT Quote
. . . My personal opinion is that it makes sense to go to one extreme or the other. If you have the money get the new PLM version. If you don't, the DAL is just as good as the others and is really cheap.
be sure that the PLM version will work with your camera

QuoteQuote:
*This lens uses an electric focus-by-wire system and will not focus (even manually) on cameras older than the Pentax K100D super (2006).

**Because the aperture is controlled electronically, this lens can only stop down when used with compatible cameras. The Pentax K-50, K-S1, K-S2, K-3, K-3 II, and K-1 are supported via a camera firmware update; the Pentax K-70, Pentax KP and all 2017 or newer bodies will work out of the box. The aperture diaphragm will always remain wide-open on unsupported bodies.

In an nutshell, this lens fully compatible with recent DSLRs but shouldn't be used on older bodies or film cameras. . . .
Read more at: HD Pentax-DA 55-300mm F4.5-6.3 PLM WR RE Review - Specifications | PentaxForums.com Reviews
07-08-2021, 08:08 AM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Long Zooms I can not live without Quick Shift

When I bought my used DAL 55-300, I was able to test against a few copies of the SMC DA version. I was planning to buy the DA, but when I saw how sharp the DAL copy they has was, I decided to get that. My personal opinion is that it makes sense to go to one extreme or the other. If you have the money get the new PLM version. If you don't, the DAL is just as good as the others and is really cheap.
DA L no Quick Shift = useless zoom to me
07-08-2021, 08:15 AM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

IMO quick shift is a necessity for anything that is not stationary with this lens, when you miss focus it will take some time to rack back and forth by which time the object of interest will be long gone.
07-08-2021, 05:49 PM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The quick shift on the DA version is quite handy.
07-09-2021, 11:44 PM   #14
JPT
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by i_trax Quote
DA L no Quick Shift = useless zoom to me
it's a good point. Perhaps if I had a bigger/brighter finder on my camera I would find Quick Shift useful. I have a K-5 IIs and I don't find that kind of focus adjustment very doable through the viewfinder. I tend to review the photo and retake if the focus is off.
07-10-2021, 12:24 AM   #15
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QS essential on long zooms

it's a good point. Perhaps if I had a bigger/brighter finder on my camera I would find Quick Shift useful. I have a K-5 IIs and I don't find that kind of focus adjustment very doable through the viewfinder. I tend to review the photo and retake if the focus is off.
No , that is not quite what I usually do.
You notice the flying bird / object , you can quickly prefocus the lens ( stop it from hunting , time wasting ) , let AF to do the rest and take the picture.

QS not so essential on DAL 18-55 WR ( short zooms )