Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-11-2007, 06:08 PM   #16
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I can't understand the bad press the 43 has gotten. The rendering look is quite unique and, to mine eyes, absolutely delightful. When I need faster speed, I'll use a 50/1.4. When I want to take an important picture of something or someone, I'll reach for the 43Ltd.

The FA Limited lenses are like the star lenses. A mediocre image taken with them remains mediocre. But when one takes a good image with them, those pictures become great images. In my case these lenses have made me become a better photographer because once I became aware of this effect, I started to try for that great image.

Broccoli and spinach are the 2 most often eaten vegetables in my household. I remember one time when my son was 3 and he saw me eating some spinach. He demanded to know why he wasn't offered any and then proceeded to eat my serving.

03-11-2007, 06:45 PM   #17
Veteran Member

Haha, you should congradulate him. I actually was quite content to eat broccoli because it was crunchy, but most of the kids I grew up with hated it when their parents told them to eat their veggies.
03-11-2007, 08:47 PM   #18
Site Supporter

Mo, buy a 43! The 40 pancake is cool. I don't think it matches the look of the 43 or my 31. About 6 moths ago Dpreview had a post where the 40 and 43 were compared on same camera, same shot. It was a night shot done on a tripod. Both lenses were sharp. The 43 had more "tonality" to it. It looked richer. The 40 looked more "chalky". The 43 also had a rounder look to it. Objects didn't look as flat. I will probably buy both . If Pentax goes to bigger APS H the 43 could be so sweet. Also you gotta love those aperture dials! Trying to decide if my 43 should match the 31 &77 (black) or stand out in silver. No I won't buy two 43!!! I won't.
thanks
barondla
03-11-2007, 11:10 PM   #19
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by regken Quote
James,

The FA43 seems to really shine in low morning light.
Thanks for that tip! I saw your bay shot in the early morning which is just stunning. Almost like a combination of water colour and oil painting effect in an image! But they do not look like being photoshped! Hard to explain. I wished I could have a few shots having that effect ... Dream on

QuoteOriginally posted by silverbullet Quote
Aaargh!! I'd almost made the decision to buy a DA40mm limited, and then I read this thread. Now I'm considering the extra $ for the 43mm instead. I guess I shouldn't complain that I have so many great lenses available at reasonable prices.

Chris
I kept on losing my bidding on Da40 ltd so I got this Fa 43 in the end. I doubt you would go wrong with either of them.

QuoteOriginally posted by Alvin Quote
James - Mmm...looking at those food shots makin me hungry again. What's that first one with the broccoli (I'm a huge broccoli and bokchoy fan!) Looks like chicken? Can you send a recipe for that? YUMMY!
That is Pi Pa Beancurd which is, of course, bean curd, mixed with egg yolk, ham, shallots and spring opinions. It takes a long time to make it which involve deep frying the beancurd with high oil temperature following by simmering the beancurd with a special sauce. I will write up the recipe and PM one day - going on a holidays soon hehe

QuoteOriginally posted by tranq78 Quote
I can't understand the bad press the 43 has gotten. The rendering look is quite unique and, to mine eyes, absolutely delightful. When I need faster speed, I'll use a 50/1.4. When I want to take an important picture of something or someone, I'll reach for the 43Ltd.

The FA Limited lenses are like the star lenses. A mediocre image taken with them remains mediocre. But when one takes a good image with them, those pictures become great images. In my case these lenses have made me become a better photographer because once I became aware of this effect, I started to try for that great image.
I know. I google the word "fa 43mm" and all I saw were the bitching of the lens. I occasionally saw the rescue comments from volosong or Lance in some commercial review sites. The rest is all curses without a concern about bad karma.

Still, it is not easy to find this lens nowadays

QuoteOriginally posted by tranq78 Quote

Broccoli and spinach are the 2 most often eaten vegetables in my household. I remember one time when my son was 3 and he saw me eating some spinach. He demanded to know why he wasn't offered any and then proceeded to eat my serving.
Wow, that is fantastic. I have no kids yet but when I have one, I would like to share your strategy in that.

QuoteOriginally posted by barondla Quote
Mo, buy a 43! The 40 pancake is cool. I don't think it matches the look of the 43 or my 31. About 6 moths ago Dpreview had a post where the 40 and 43 were compared on same camera, same shot. It was a night shot done on a tripod. Both lenses were sharp. The 43 had more "tonality" to it. It looked richer. The 40 looked more "chalky". The 43 also had a rounder look to it. Objects didn't look as flat. I will probably buy both . If Pentax goes to bigger APS H the 43 could be so sweet. Also you gotta love those aperture dials! Trying to decide if my 43 should match the 31 &77 (black) or stand out in silver. No I won't buy two 43!!! I won't.
thanks
barondla
Both my 31 and 43 are in silver plumage: Funnily, they got the most looks from the public. Especially pretty slim girls! Silver definitely attracts opposite sex!

Not sure silver colour has a good resale value on ebay though ... (Not that I want to sell any of them)

Cheers

James

03-11-2007, 11:48 PM   #20
Veteran Member

Haha James that's hilarious! I better get silver lenses myself!

Silver (large anyways) does give the impression of "white glass" like the Pentax A*,FA* telephoto/Canon L lenses/Minolta G.
03-12-2007, 09:18 PM   #21

some 43 ltd examples

Fake flowers- ISO 400, f1.9, 1/110 sec

Real dog- ISO 400, f 3.2, 1/25 sec

My daughter's cutesy chandelier- ISO 100, f8, 1/3 sec

The chandelier's owner- ISO 400, f1.9, 1/30 sec
03-12-2007, 11:19 PM   #22

Roentarre,
Thanks for posting these great shots; I am so glad I decided to sell my FA 50/1.4 instead of the 43! Looking at your first shot compared to similar by Joel, I'd say the 43 has the edge over the DA 70 in terms of IQ. That 3D quality you mention is obvious in this image. Look at the people in the background and then the buildings beyond that. Pretty amazing stuff.
I took some snapshots of my daughters birthday party couple weeks ago that led to my decision to hang onto the 43 instead of the 50. But these were mostly near the open end of the aperture. I going to have to put this to better use if I can ever break away from the telephoto stuff.

JayT
03-13-2007, 12:33 AM   #23
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Sirfishalot Quote
Roentarre,
Thanks for posting these great shots; I am so glad I decided to sell my FA 50/1.4 instead of the 43! Looking at your first shot compared to similar by Joel, I'd say the 43 has the edge over the DA 70 in terms of IQ.
Glad that the posts help... But Fa43 does have inconsistency with sharpness (maybe I did not autofocus on subjects too well). Da 70 is a great lens too. just that it is a bit unfair to compare different focal length and drawing conclusion.

That 3D quality you mention is obvious in this image. Look at the people in the background and then the buildings beyond that. Pretty amazing stuff.
I took some snapshots of my daughters birthday party couple weeks ago that led to my decision to hang onto the 43 instead of the 50. But these were mostly near the open end of the aperture. I going to have to put this to better use if I can ever break away from the telephoto stuff.

JayT
I did some trial shots yesterday afternoon (not yet processed - too busy lately). Will post some of them to show you the fa 43shots in low light. F8 can produce 3D feel as well - I discovered yesterday.

Some more shots from Fa43 from the weekend waterfest

1/2000s f/4.5 at 43.0mm iso200 full exif

1/1000s f/4.5 at 43.0mm iso200 full exif

Will post some of the fa 43 results tomorrow after getting home

03-13-2007, 04:03 PM   #24
Veteran Member

Hi,

This are some samples of the 43Limited WIDE OPEN, that i take some minutes ago to show the sharpnes, 3Drender, bokeh, etc...

When in bought my DL i was very sad with the quality of the 43Limited wide open in DIGITAL (in FILM it is fantastic ), BUT when a make the mecanical "AF adjust" by screus in the botom of the DL, then the 43Limited came alive wide open again .

ALL HANDHELD and JPEG

1.9 , 1/30 , 200iso

1.9 , 1/30 , 800iso
03-14-2007, 03:52 AM   #25
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Wow, that is sharp! A good copy as well
03-14-2007, 03:56 AM   #26
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Roentarre,
Thanks for posting these great shots; I am so glad I decided to sell my FA 50/1.4 instead of the 43!
You are welcome. I really enjoy this lens in fact.

Da*55 f1.4 is going to be released later on this year and I would definitely get that lens instead.
03-14-2007, 04:08 AM   #27
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Some more shots from Fa43

These were taken 2 days ago along my usual walk to a coffee shop during Labour day.

The shots were mainly focused on flowers and leaves.

Definitely more 3D feel from them!!

1/60s f/4.5 at 43.0mm iso100 full exif

Hope these images really showed the 3D feel
03-14-2007, 04:49 AM   #28
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by roentarre Quote
Few more food shots

Your food photos are really amazing!!!
btw: the lens looks great...
03-14-2007, 04:55 AM   #29
Veteran Member

Original Poster
kjask, food is my passion

Here is another one from Fa31, a meal with Joel Monday night ...

Char coaled pork - chewing gum texture though

Then this is Snow crab from Antartica - the shell is really soft, hence the sauce really sank into its flesh. Osteoporosis from lack of sun light and vit D perhaps ...