Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
07-08-2021, 07:25 PM - 1 Like   #1

Question about Takumar 50mm 1.4 version

First post so thanks for reading. It seems there are 4 versions of this lens starting with the 8 element version and ending with the 7 element/rubber focus ring version. But I am also seeing an “Asahi Opt. Co., Japan SMC PENTAX 1:1.4/50” in K-Mount with 8 blades and rubber focus grip. Serial numbers around 150XXXX. I am wondering if this version is the same optical formula as the other m42 Mount 7 element versions? If so, any differences other than mount and maybe some coating differences? Would this still be considered a “Takumar”?
Thanks so much!

07-08-2021, 07:35 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Welcome. A great place to learn about all of the different lenses is the review section. It's not only reviews, but specs on the lenses.
07-08-2021, 07:37 PM   #3

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ramseybuckeye Quote
Welcome. A great place to learn about all of the different lenses is the review section. It's not only reviews, but specs on the lenses.
Thank you. I’ll check that out.
07-08-2021, 07:44 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
the optics look the same

have you looked at those?
SMC/S-M-C/Super Takumar 50mm F1.4 Reviews - M42 Screwmount Normal Primes - Pentax Lens Reviews & Lens Database
SMC Pentax 50mm F1.4 Reviews - K Prime Lenses - Pentax Lens Reviews & Lens Database

only some Takumars and all K, M , A have SMC coating

07-08-2021, 07:45 PM   #5
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Welcome to the Pentax Forums!

The short answer is that the Pentax-K 50/1.4 (SMC PENTAX 1:1.4/50 on the lens front) is directly based on the SMC Takumar 50/1.4, though with the addition of support for f/22. There is similar pass-through of design from the S-M-C/SMC Takumars for most, though not all, of the first generation Pentax K-mount lenses.

Steve
07-08-2021, 07:51 PM   #6

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ramseybuckeye Quote
Thanks again for the tip. It looks like I found my answer in there and it seems it is pretty much the same optically as the 7 element Takumar 50 1.4’s.

---------- Post added 07-08-21 at 07:54 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Welcome to the Pentax Forums!

The short answer is that the Pentax-K 50/1.4 (SMC PENTAX 1:1.4/50 on the lens front) is directly based on the SMC Takumar 50/1.4, though with the addition of support for f/22. There is similar pass-through of design from the S-M-C/SMC Takumars for most, though not all, of the first generation Pentax K-mount lenses.

Steve
Thanks so much for the extra info! I was unaware about the f22 being added.

---------- Post added 07-08-21 at 07:55 PM ----------

Thank you I will give that a read as well.
07-08-2021, 10:52 PM   #7
PJ1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Welcome to the Forums. I think you will find that the optical formula for the K 50/1.4 is the same as the last Takumar 50/1.4 They are good lenses.

07-08-2021, 11:02 PM   #8
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
I beleive the optical formula is pretty much the same between all 7 element 50/1.4. But regulations over the years have changed, so the optical glass may not be the same in all versions, and the coatings have also changed over the years. When changing type of glass the optical formula may need a little adjustment as the new type off glass may have different optical properties.
Many tonic material have been used in optical glass over the year to improve optical performance, but nowadays these tonic material are not allowed to be used.

So there may still be a little difference in performance between the different versions.

My personal favorite is the SMC Takumar 50/1.4. (The last Takumar version). It performs better than the earlier Takumar vesions I have, and gives warmer colors than the later K-mount versions I have.
07-09-2021, 04:13 AM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I have what I consider “bookends” to the set of 50mm/1.4 lenses. The K50/1.4 and the 8 element 50/1.4.

Aside from the change in optical design, Pentax continually was upgrading the coatings, and were multi coating lenses before it became a marketing and branding concept
07-09-2021, 06:59 AM   #10
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Manuel Phesto Quote
First post so thanks for reading. It seems there are 4 versions of this lens starting with the 8 element version and ending with the 7 element/rubber focus ring version. But I am also seeing an “Asahi Opt. Co., Japan SMC PENTAX 1:1.4/50” in K-Mount with 8 blades and rubber focus grip. Serial numbers around 150XXXX. I am wondering if this version is the same optical formula as the other m42 Mount 7 element versions? If so, any differences other than mount and maybe some coating differences? Would this still be considered a “Takumar”?
Thanks so much!
Welcome to the forum. Here is an informative link on the Tak 50 1.4 and comparison with several other lenses. This gets to your question of differences. Hope this is of help...

07-09-2021, 11:02 AM   #11

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Fogel70 Quote
I beleive the optical formula is pretty much the same between all 7 element 50/1.4. But regulations over the years have changed, so the optical glass may not be the same in all versions, and the coatings have also changed over the years. When changing type of glass the optical formula may need a little adjustment as the new type off glass may have different optical properties.
Many tonic material have been used in optical glass over the year to improve optical performance, but nowadays these tonic material are not allowed to be used.

So there may still be a little difference in performance between the different versions.

My personal favorite is the SMC Takumar 50/1.4. (The last Takumar version). It performs better than the earlier Takumar vesions I have, and gives warmer colors than the later K-mount versions I have.
Thanks I will consider that lens as well and maybe just get an adapter. I plan on using on an ME Super (and possibly an LX if I ever get it serviced).

---------- Post added 07-09-21 at 11:03 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Gene D Quote
Welcome to the forum. Here is an informative link on the Tak 50 1.4 and comparison with several other lenses. This gets to your question of differences. Hope this is of help...

5 Pentax 50mm Lenses Tested; The Ultimate Pentax 50mm Lens Comparison Review. - YouTube
Much appreciated!

---------- Post added 07-09-21 at 11:07 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote
I have what I consider “bookends” to the set of 50mm/1.4 lenses. The K50/1.4 and the 8 element 50/1.4.

Aside from the change in optical design, Pentax continually was upgrading the coatings, and were multi coating lenses before it became a marketing and branding concept
I would love to come across the 8 element and use for black and white film. Thank you for the info!

---------- Post added 07-09-21 at 11:08 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by PJ1 Quote
Welcome to the Forums. I think you will find that the optical formula for the K 50/1.4 is the same as the last Takumar 50/1.4 They are good lenses.
Thank you!
07-09-2021, 09:20 PM   #12

Original Poster
I also suppose the SMC Pentax (K Mount) version would be most suitable if I plan to use on a K Mount body like the ME Super/LX.
07-10-2021, 12:04 PM   #13
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Manuel Phesto Quote
I also suppose the SMC Pentax (K Mount) version would be most suitable if I plan to use on a K Mount body like the ME Super/LX.
Yes, definitely more suitable over the S-M-C/SMC Takumar. The difference in shooting experience of native K-mount over adapted M42 is night and day.

Steve
07-10-2021, 06:02 PM   #14

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Yes, definitely more suitable over the S-M-C/SMC Takumar. The difference in shooting experience of native K-mount over adapted M42 is night and day.

Steve
Yes I think I’ll go that route for sure.
07-11-2021, 12:03 AM   #15
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
I agree. On K-mount film cameras I would also prefer K-mount lenses.
On digital I prefer m42 as I mainly use live view for manual focus lenses and M42 lenses can be used in Av mode instead of stop down metering.